cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed Issues

ras97104

Download Speed Issues

Hi I have recently changed my broadband service to PlusNet, the transfer went smoothly; I noticed there the speed of downloading was slow and raised a ticket, which plusnet switched interweaving on which resolved the issue, I thought anyway; recently when trying to download files I am getting 25KB/sec speed; I have raised another ticket to date nothing from plusnet, thinking of ditching plusnet after only a month
9 REPLIES 9
itsme
Grafter

Re: Download Speed Issues

which package are you on and are you aware of traffic shaping? http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
ras97104

Hi I am on the value package, and I am aware of the speed can vary according to traffic shaping, I am experiencing very slow download speeds in off peak times varying from 20-30 KB/sec.
Any pointers would be useful
itsme
Grafter

20-30KB/sec= 160-240kbps
So are your downloads using P2P or external FTP servers? If so these are the maximum speed on Value
ras97104

Download speedachieved during the test was - 117 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
test was undertaken at 12.30am on 5.4.2010
I am currently trying to download a file which two weeks ago was dowloading at 100-150 KB/sec now dowloading at 15.2KB/sec, I am not using P2P or external FTP servers.
matt_2k34
Grafter

IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

The profile has been dropped by BT (this is nothing to do with PN, sadly)
You need to wait around 3 days of having a good stable connection and (hopefully) then it will pick up.
The profile only usually drops this low when theres a few "low sync events" (e.g. some major interference which causes the router to lose sync with the telephone exchange), often caused by faults, or bad weather (heavy rain/ thunderstorms / snow) etc. etc.
Unfortunately there is very little you or PN can do about this - the only thing really you can do is wait and hope it picks up - or if it doesnt report a fault (as shown below) - or specify more details on your router/phone/bt socket setup & Layout, and hopefully someone here can help. Also posting the information from your router would also prove helpful Smiley
few questions:
Do you turn the router off at night? (and what make/model is the router?)
have you noticed that the internet drops out completely?
whats the uptime of the connection in the router (is it the same, or almost the same as the uptime of the router?)
How long has the slow speed been occuring?
Also if the router has been sync'd without dropping the connection for 3+ days, i'd recommend rebooting the router (preferrably in the early morning) - hopefully the line profile gets picked up at a better rate than 135kbps Smiley
If you find the problem is recurring, it might be worth raising a fault @ Plusnet Faults
Thanks
Matt
ras97104

Hi Matt
Do you turn the router off at night? (and what make/model is the router?) No, Thomson 585v7 Wireless Router
have you noticed that the internet drops out completely? No
whats the uptime of the connection in the router (is it the same, or almost the same as the uptime of the router?) 
How long has the slow speed been occuring?  For the last two weeks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ras,
It does look like there's a number of disconnections happening (perhaps two or three times an evening) but these are all showing as requested disconnects rather than forced. Given that you're leaving the router connected it does look like an intermittent fault - have you tested the service from the master socket with all other line items removed? If you still get the drops then there's definitely a line fault present, let us know and we'll get your fault escalated as soon as is possible.
ras97104

hi Matt
I have a reply from the ticket I raised; Customer support have contacted BT to investigate why my IP profile is low.
I hope to get some further details soon
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi ras97104,
You may wish to check ticket 32775510 if you can updates have been made available on there. To summarise we did raise an intermittent connection fault as the IP profile had lowered due to the connection dropping out. Work carried our by BT wholesale may have re-stabilised things for you as we can see that you have had a connection of just under 12 hours how so things seem to have improved, however to be on the safe side we have passed the fault back to request further investigation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team