Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Limits & Speed

LoneRanger
Grafter

Re: Download Limits & Speed

Quote from: WWWombat
LoneRanger,
When you reach your 13GB, 17GB and 20GB thresholds, the result is NOT that your speed is halved from your previous line speed.
The specifications can be found here: Product Archive for Premier.
At 13GB:
    * Applies between 13-17GB peak time usage
    * P2P, USENET and File Transfer Applications reduced to a maximum speed of 256kb/s
    * All other activities reduced to a maximum speed of 2Mb/s

Ha ha ha ha ha, if I could get that speed at 13GB I'd be happy.  As it is I rarely get that speed at <13GB.  At >13GB the speed I see is more typically 50kb/s.  Why is this?  PN clearly are not delivering what they are contracted to do.  And this happens month after month after month.  As soon as the switch is thrown I can forget using ebay, Youtube, iPlayer etc.  Are they in breach of contract as clearly my line WILL support speeds close to 256kb/s so I should see no difference until I hit 17GB.  I'd be happy if that were the case but it is not.  As previously stated, once 13GB is reached I can just about forget using anything on the internet except forums!!
Looking at my last months usage, 16:00 - 00:00 18.61GB, 00:00 - 16:00 116GB.  That is fairly typical so a 60GB contract will give me 50% of what I need if metered 08:00 - 00:00.
I accept that Plusnet cannot provide me with a suitable service so will be leaving them.  Staggering considering that over the last tweve years I have spen close to £3000 with them.  Could have bought a nice car for that  Cheesy
WWWombat
Grafter

At 135GB (which is probably low with 1.5 weeks on the restricted pipe), then you need to be somewhere else! Actually, with that much data, you probably need to move house to somewhere with fibre  Wink
I've got to agree with you too: at 13GB, the switch feels worse. But we drop from 8Mbps, so it is harder to say whether it is psychological or real - and we never had it happen enough for me to figure out. There's no way I was going to deliberately use up my allowance to just find out, either!
Hmmm.... just thought of something. I'll PM you separately...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

I agree with WWWombat, it sounds like you have a fault, but regardless, PNs only offering that gets close to your current usage, is Fibre, and I'd wager that if you had that, with it's faster speeds, you'd use even more.
Sorry to say, but I agree, Plusnet doesn't seem to be for you.
zubel
Community Veteran

I too, am disappointed that I have to keep putting fuel in my car to drive thousands of miles a month.  I pay for my car monthly, so why should I have to keep fuelling it!?!?
phil4
Grafter

Interesting analogy, though if you don't mind I'd redefine it as such:
1) For £115 per month I can have my car, and enough fuel for the "average commute", any more and I have to pay £50 per tank, minimum of 1 tank.
2) For £210 per month, and living in the right area, I can have the car, and enough fuel for not only the average commute, but one or two motorway trips per week.  Fuel is stil £50 per tank though, with a 1 tank minimum.
3) Finally, for £280 per month, and living in the right area, I can buy a different but similar car, with a limitless supply of fuel.
So,  1 & 2 I can get here at PN, 3 I need to go to Virgin or BT. 
The OP is the sorta person that finds he does so many miles he'd be better off with 3).