cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain names that were/are free?

jmd
Grafter

Domain names that were/are free?

A couple of years ago Plusnet had a slight problem so they offered customers free domain names and nothing was mentioned about it being only available for a particular time span..
I accepted that and a year ago when I moved my broadband/email to another provider to make a financial saving I kept a free email account and my domain name. 
I am now informed that the domain was only free for 2 years and yet in June I was sent an email saying that it would be automatically renewed and there was NO mention of cost.  Now I have had an email from nominet telling me that it will be suspended shortly as not renewed.  I queried this with PN Customer Services and was informed that it will cost me £52.88 for a further 2 years.  I have declined to pay that as the original email did not mention cost but just said it would happen automatically.
I feel that Customer Services are lacking in informing me;  a] that the domain only lasted 2 yrs, b] that it would cost money - the original email should have informed me of that as I was under the impression that it would be automatically renewed.
Has anyone else had this sort of situation arise?
13 REPLIES
Highlighted
Fixes: 175

Re: Domain names that were/are free?

Yes I had a 'free' domain under those same circumstances.
It was recently heading for it's renewal date and considering PN are an expensive place to have domains I transferred it to 123-reg.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

i was told it was free for ever - mine was renewed for nothing
jmd
Grafter

Well, I was told it was free for ever when I got it but obviously things seems to have changed!  
Thanks for that link Strat will investigate it and anyothers I get suggested!
Oh, and though PN seem to think it was two yrs ago we got these names it was 2007!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

2 years is the normal time for a domain renewal. But £53 is a bit steep for renewing it! I pay about £6 at Daily.co.uk. If you can move it somewhere cheaper by changing the Tags.
Community Veteran

Mine currently says
due to expire on 2013-06-23
This is the current status
    Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 23-Jun-2007
        Renewal date:  23-Jun-2013
So it was free last time and I haven't been advised of any change yet although it is a bit early
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 60

was told it was free for ever - mine was renewed for nothing

That was my understanding too Jim.
Mine was renewed in June this year and no cost was involved.
prichardson
Grafter

It should indeed be free to renew, provided your account has not changed to an account that does not include free domain hosting.
The only fee that may have applied would be a £5.99 charge to prevent abuse, should you wish to transfer to a third party registrar within 12 months of registration. This is clearly a time that will have expired.
Please raise a ticket and point the following page out, provided the domain meets the following terms.
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/free_domain_faq.shtml#12

The domain will remain free of charge to you as long as you remain a PlusNet broadband or subscription dial-up customer.

Community Veteran

Quote from: P
It should indeed be free to renew, provided your account has not changed to an account that does not include free domain hosting.
Since non of the present Residential packages include web hosting are you now going to charge despite the original FAQ as Strat posted

Has Josie migrated away to another ISP and therefore would not qualify under the rule I quoted?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: jmdlp
I accepted that and a year ago when I moved my broadband/email to another provider to make a financial saving I kept a free email account and my domain name. 
Yes Strat.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jmd
Grafter

Yes, I have migrated away and yes, I do not pay PN anything now - and have now seen that clause BUT nothing was mentioned about my domain name last year and the email I had in June said it would be renewed automatically and did not mention any charges involved.
I think PN should make this clearer when you do migrate away and also not send out emails that make you think that the renewal will happen!

matt_2k34
Grafter

I think PN should make this clearer when you do migrate away

Why?
You've moved away from them, therefore you not longer pay them for anything. Feel privelledged that you had the free domain anyway as many people who signed up never got that.
The original information you were given says its Free *PROVIDED* you stay with plusnet.
I'm failing to see why you have a reason to complain.
and the email I had in June said it would be renewed automatically and did not mention any charges involved.

This is probably because the system required a bodge to ensure that users with the free domains kept them - they probably didnt work in a clause to check if you had left (had no active package, you are still a 'customer' as you'll still have your account)
Regards