cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Issues? a plusnet support disaster.

discontented

Domain Issues? a plusnet support disaster.

OK about two months ago I get an email about my Domain needing renewing, it cant be renewed because it's free. When I signed up with plusnet about 5 years ago it was free for the term I was with plusnet, all was fine and I had a nice name pointing to my NAS with a fixed IP that I used infrequently but when I did use it, it was invaluable to me.

So I contact plusnet who told me I had to pay for renewal. I have not in the past nor had been told of any changes even when renewing my yearly contract. I asked to speak to someone and was told no one was available from the team so a member of that team would call me back, I asked for a ticket number and was told they dont have tickets any more. Again assured someone would call me the following day I had to give up at that point. So I was cut off from using the domain. I couldn't change anything and got an access denied or you don't have access to this error if I tried to change anything. My only option was to pay the exorbitant registration fee or let the domain expire. I choose to let it expire and then grab it back after it expires.

I check a week later and plusnet had renewed my domain for two more years at no cost to me and basically holding me to ransom. I still couldn't change or edit anything with the same access denied errors. On the phone to support again but met with the same excuse about not having available staff to help and again I was assured someone will call me back. Well guess what, they never did and I'm now very unhappy with plusnet.

Off to trustpilot to spew a raving bad review that made me feel a lot better and then go look for a new domain name as I will not be forced to pay a transfer fee because a really bad support team who wont communicate with there customers.

So I get my new domain name and managed to set it up but then my plusnet domain started working again, logging in today confirmed it was all accessible and I could edit it, the renew this domain message had gone.

WHAT The *, plusnet what have you done, ignored me, not called me back, not explained why I had to pay, stopped me from using the domain then like magic give it back to me all without communicating this to me.I'm flabbergasted you think this is committed to customer service, you did me proud without letting me know.

I really hope I don't have to go through this again but would love to know why I need to pay for a free domain name.

Mr Discontented ....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Label added after move to Plusnet Feedback.

6 REPLIES 6
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Domain Issues? a plusnet support disaster.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

discontented

@MauriceC

Really, not get a reply to my post. I feel this would be an insult to me and proof your support team are indeed unwilling to deal with anything that causes them to get involved for a period of time that might make them miss some unrealistic target.

I also feel that the level of support I have received is contractually inappropriate and possible grounds for me to terminate my contract with you. I have spent two months attempting to get this issue resolved and plusnet have done NOTHING involving communication with me.

A response to my trustpilot review from a plusnet support member indicated that coming here would result in my issues would be resolved and questions would result in a reply and full resolutions..

Your response states no action may be taken and no explanation offered.

I'm disgusted. And fell this should be escalated to an ombudsman. I'll be researching this some time this week.

Rest assured this is NOT OVER!. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

@discontented

The Superusers are customers who volunteer their time on these forums.

As it is the weekend you may not receive a reply from a member of staff tofday.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@discontented wrote:

OK about two months ago I get an email about my Domain needing renewing, it cant be renewed because it's free. When I signed up with plusnet about 5 years ago it was free for the term I was with plusnet, all was fine and I had a nice name pointing to my NAS with a fixed IP that I used infrequently but when I did use it, it was invaluable to me.

So I contact plusnet who told me I had to pay for renewal. I have not in the past nor had been told of any changes even when renewing my yearly contract.

You shouldn't have been told this, it was incorrect advice. Sorry.

So I was cut off from using the domain. I couldn't change anything and got an access denied or you don't have access to this error if I tried to change anything. My only option was to pay the exorbitant registration fee or let the domain expire. I choose to let it expire and then grab it back after it expires.

I'm interested to know more about this error. Exactly where were you seeing it? I can't see any obvious cause, and from what I can determine the domain has never expired.

I check a week later and plusnet had renewed my domain for two more years at no cost to me and basically holding me to ransom. I still couldn't change or edit anything with the same access denied errors. On the phone to support again but met with the same excuse about not having available staff to help and again I was assured someone will call me back. Well guess what, they never did and I'm now very unhappy with plusnet.

Again, we've not intentionally restricted access to your domain at any point. In fact, nothing's been done to it in our CRM systems for a while Huh

The domain expires in January, and from whois you can see the registration was extended the December prior:

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 18-Jan-2016
        Expiry date:  18-Jan-2020
        Last updated:  29-Dec-2017

Off to trustpilot to spew a raving bad review that made me feel a lot better and then go look for a new domain name as I will not be forced to pay a transfer fee because a really bad support team who wont communicate with there customers.

There is no fee to transfer a .uk registration from us. The gaining provider may charge (not all do), but in doing so, they will typically extend the registration of the domain by a further year.

So I get my new domain name and managed to set it up but then my plusnet domain started working again, logging in today confirmed it was all accessible and I could edit it, the renew this domain message had gone.

This is the only bit I'm struggling to explain, but rest assured it wasn't intentional. Sorry the advice/assurances you received at the time weren't up to scratch Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

discontented

@bobpullen

| You shouldn't have been told this, it was incorrect advice. Sorry.

What does this refer to, me not getting a call back that would have cleared the whole thing up in one fail swoop or the part I didn't have to pay.

| I'm interested to know more about this error. Exactly where were you seeing it? I can't see any obvious cause, and from what I can determine the domain has never expired.

This was in my control panel for my domain in the members area, it said it was due to expire not expired. I had two options, select to pay for renewal or allow the domain to expire. I chose to allow to expire after being unable to resolve the issue through every avenue I attempted. Now it shows "we will not renew this domain", this is NOT what I want but had no other choice at the time.

| Again, we've not intentionally restricted access to your domain at any point. In fact, nothing's been done to it in our CRM systems for a while Huh

The domain expires in January, and from whois you can see the registration was extended the December prior:

This might be the case but persistent calls to plusnet support seeking answers to this issue fell on deaf ears, if I had access to my domain then I would not have called in the 1st place, I'm mot doing this because I have a load of spare time on my hands and want to fill it with mindless support calls.

| There is no fee to transfer a .uk registration from us. The gaining provider may charge (not all do), but in doing so, they will typically extend the registration of the domain by a further year.

Perhaps your support representative also didn't know this, I was told there was a fee and there was nothing they could do but escalate it and someone would call me back about it, they did not... again.

| This is the only bit I'm struggling to explain, but rest assured it wasn't intentional. Sorry the advice/assurances you received at the time weren't up to scratch Sad

I refer to the first part of my reply, if you had indeed called me back as stated then you would not have had a very disgruntled customer seeking answers to a problem with no clear resolution in sight.

This whole experience has been an appalling support scenario.  

I have attached the email you sent to me regarding the renewal, when I clicked on the link provided the fee for renewal was displayed. It said the domain could not be auto renewed because my payment method was not able to be used for this and wanted my debit card information. This started the ball rolling.

Dear Mr

This is an email from Plusnet to let you know that your domain,
idrinkbeer.co.uk, will expire on 18 January 2018.

We have noticed that you have not yet chosen to renew this domain. We will
automatically renew it for you 30 days before the expiry date.

To choose not to renew your domain, please visit the Domain Names section
of our website - http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2

Need help?
----------
If you've got any questions about your service ask the Help Assistant -
http://portal.plus.net/wizard/

Kind regards,

Plusnet Customer Support
http://portal.plus.net/

PlusNet plc
Registered Office: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU
Registered in England no: 3279013