cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I or Dont I

collieocoll
Grafter

Do I or Dont I

I have spent the last Month in Limbo: Speed has been not much better than dial up 160kbps.
I phoned up inquiring about my Mac Code, I decided I had enough. Cry
I am due to request my Code within the next few days but something strange has happened.
My Speeds have taken off again 1207kbps bearing in mind I live out in the sticks and this is
near enough my top Speed.
My question would be should I go or stay another Month and see what happens?
Can I trust Plus Net to have resolved the problems they have been having or go now?.
I am only glad I didnt Call in to go through all the rigmarole about checking this doing that
or what have you cause the fault was never mine in the first place.
Plus Net can I trust YOU!!!
I am on a Monthly Contract so if I dont go now I will certainly be off Next Month.
11 REPLIES 11
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Do I or Dont I

I would suggest staying and working through whatever problems you may be enduring here on the forums because if its problems at your end then you may just take them problems elsewhere with you,stay and work through them with nice,friendly,knowledgeable people here. Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If this does happen again, I'd strongly recommend testing your router in the master socket, with an alternate filter and removing any non-ADSL equipment from the line. Once you've done that and if the problem still persists then raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net making sure you answer all the questions to complete the faults checker, if you don't report the problem we can't investigate it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
collieocoll
Grafter

I would suggest staying and working through whatever problems you may be enduring here on the forums because if its problems at your end then you may just take them problems elsewhere with you,stay and work through them with nice,friendly,knowledgeable people here.

I dont doubt it !!!!!!.
But these problems dont seem to be able to be worked through and if and when they are worked through folks are about demented with it all.
We pays our money so we expect nothing but the best save for a few we hiccups now and again.
What I read on these Forums is nothing short of real Horror Stories, and I cant understand why Plus Net cant own up to what problems they have.
Why does it always have to be OUR problem?.
I havent checked nothing, I havent done nothing to any of my equipment, but, suddenly I am running at near Full Power again, oh! no doubt there will be an answer to that?.
I have decided to sit back enjoy what I have for now, see through the Month, and no doubt something will go wrong before its end and I will be off. ( I hope not!!!!! )
I already have my Choice of new ISP sussed out so will hold fire for now.
Thats me finished moaning now!!!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

But Plusnet "DO" own up to any problems they may have as you can see in the service page if you have looked at it,what other isp has a close community like this where real problems are shared and worked through here either by members from there own good will or Plusnet staff themselves.
I understand you may be a bit upset or angered but dont make a hasty decision,because i really dont think you will get better support with any other isp"unless proved otherwise"?
Stick around,ya know ya wana Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jonnyg
Grafter

Go for it... make the change.  At least by changing you will see immediately if it is plusnet or not and most 12 month contracts give you a one month testing period where you can cancel if they don't do it for you and then just move again until you find one that works.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi collieocoll,
We can see you've raised faults previously but unfortunately these have been closed before all the questions have been answered and as such we haven't been able to investigate. Please do run through these as they provide us with essential information for the investigation and we'd be very grateful for a chance to investigate this for you.
collieocoll
Grafter

Undecided  Undecided  Undecided  Undecided  Undecided  I am happy at the minit !!!! Wink Long may it continue!!! Roll_eyes
Please do run through these as they provide us with essential information for the investigation and we'd be very grateful for a chance to investigate this for you.]

As things have settled now I wont want bother you with any tests but thanks for the offer Matt.
As mentioned before being on a Months Contract I can leave as and when it suits, but surely you must see that there are very serious problems on the PN Network. These cant all be down to the individuals concerned.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi collieocoll,
Glad to hear things have improved for you, thanks for letting us know. As for the network, we are indeed aware that there are issues - the majority of these have now been sorted out as per the service status posts at http://status.plus.net and http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=broadbandnetwo however yesterday we suffered a pipe drop which has led to several thousand users disconnecting - as a result of this the network is very unbalanced, so some pipes have more users than usual (which will result in a more contended and therefore slower service) and others don't have enough.
We are working to restore this however, and the network is expected to be back in balance within the next couple of days.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

Matt, sorry to butt in but I was interested in your statement 'yesterday we suffered a pipe drop which has led to several thousand users disconnecting '  I have been unable to get a connection since Sunday.  Sad  (Ticket ID: 31128840 raised  2:20pm, Wednesday 9th December 2009. Been throughthe broadband fault checker, PN can't find anything wrong.  Bought a new router and that's exactly the same, plugged into test socket direct with no other kit connected not even a filter!)
Is this a coincidence or are these two events connected?  Crazy
Pete (suffering from BB withdrawal after 4 days without  Cry Cry Crazy)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dawnrider,
No, they won't be connected - anyone whose connection drops as a result of us losing a pipe should be able to reconnect straight away. It certainly wouldn't have had an effect on Sunday.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's unlikely the events are connected DawnRider as you've changed your modem/router, so if you have sync with the exchange and any connection to a PN gateway, it will be a different gateway than before. Are all your modem/router lights lit and steady.
Try and do the following -
First please check your phone line - do you have dial tone on your line, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
If you have no dail tone or have crackling noise etc, report a fault to your phone line provider and don't mention the broadband. No need to bother with everything below in that case.
If you are using dialup, phone the CSC to report your broadband fault if your phone is ok and get an 0808 (free) dial up number.
Any of the following information may be useful depending on the nature of your fault if you are able to provide it.
What Modem/Router are you using? Do you know to access your Modem/Router ADSL line stats?
If you can post both Downstream and Upstream - Sync/connection speed, Attenuation, NoiseMargin (SNRM) and Power.
Try here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php - if you need guidance for many Modem/Routers.
Can you also post the results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ - (you need Java Runtime Environment installed for this to work - the latest version for your OS).
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says for your current profile/line speed.
Finally could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removeable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One final tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.