cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I like Squirrel Mail?

swanny2020

Re: Do I like Squirrel Mail?

i must admit i have used this squirrel mail twice now and i'm not that keen on it i have tried to sync it with Window Mail with no joy is there anyway i can do this ?
grahamt
Rising Star

I use Outlook Web Access for work-related webmail. It's a mixture of OK and frustrating.
Firstly, it doesn't really adhere to proper web standards. Using it with IE and Firefox are two very different experiences. It can be used with Firefox (and, I assume, other browsers) but it's much clunkier than with IE. I generally use it via the Firefox IE Tab Plus add-on, which embeds IE rendering within Firefox.
Sometimes it's just so damn 'friendly' that it simply refuses to tell you the actual e-mail address of someone you might want to compose a new message to, even when you try to get the properties of teh contact name. This forces you to reply to a previous message, which may be more or less of a pain, depending on how many other recipients there are (and which need deleting) and what was the subject line and content of the previous message.
It does have more features than Squirrelmail, but I would hope there's something better out there.
Graham
Not applicable

I've been tasked with collating feedback about our current webmail offerings so please let me know if anyone else would like to contribute their opinions about this.

Have had Roundcube since trial began but am not using it now as I don't like it for reasons outlined elsewhere in the forum. As has been said it is better than SM but only by a bit.
Horde is a better bet IMO. Like one of the other posters, I have it on CPanel and it doesn't open straight into the Inbox which is a bit annoying but hopefully this can be solved. 
I quite liked the one that we had when the security breach occurred but can't remember the name.  Can't this be looked at again?  I understand from other posts that it is much improved.  Only other comment is that BT users have Yahoo mail - is this not an option for us in view of the fact that PN are now tied up with that organization?
Not applicable

Have spent some time working with Horde from cPanel and I find that it is quite good.  Now got it to go straight to Inbox but I am having to select the language English (British) to log on every time (bit annoying) - presumably this is just a peculiarity of my set up.  So I have to add my vote for Horde but still prefer Yahoo.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

I prefer Squirrelmail.
It may not be pretty. No flash, Java or other bandwidth hogs. Just what you need when you are on a slow connection.
PS I am not a troll.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Horde is simple and quite powerful to use.  It has no flash, Java or other bandwidth hogs.  So, Adam should look at it.  By the way the out come of Adam's chasing up on outlook webmail?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Adam should look at it

Thanks for giving me extra work to do Wink Its not up to me to decide which platform we'll be using but I will pass your feedback on.
Unfortunately I can't state much more about Outlook on-line access other than its very unlikely that we'll be going a head with that as a solution although alternatives are being looked at.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can Outlook Web Access front end anything other than a Microsoft Exchange mail server?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Not applicable

Adam - I can quite see why Plusnet would want to carefully consider all the options and not make hasty decisions but really, this webmail situation is becoming a fiasco IMO.
When you consider how quickly PN swapped over to Squirrelmail after the breach, it does make this seem a tad ridiculous.
After the security issue, we were told that SM was only going to be a temporary solution and here we are some years later (is it 3 or 4?), still using this with many, many complaints.
It would be interesting to know exactly why Plusnet is dragging its heels over this issue.  Surely it has now come to the top of the 'priorities'.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: jelv
Can Outlook Web Access front end anything other than a Microsoft Exchange mail server?

I wouldn't have thought so as it's a web page generated from the exchange server as I understand it from using it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That was my understanding. That would mean converting all the servers over to Microsoft, converting all the mail boxes over to exchange with all the users who don't use webmail being seriously affected. Goodness knows whether the aliases etc could be made to work.
I just don't understand why the suggestion of Outlook Web Access wasn't responded to with a "No, never in a thousand years"!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That's why I said "a bit like Outlook Web Access" as in itself it's a completely impracticable idea.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Thanks very much for your feedback.
Outlook style webmail interface

I've heard something similar, I'll go chase this up and see what I can find out.

No to the last few posts...I do not mean Outlook Web Access.  This indeed can only be used with Microsoft Exchange.  I was referring to an interface that looked like Outlook.  I can't remember what it was called as it was talked about some time ago.
See here from 2007 !!!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,270.0.html
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Back in 2008 this was posted about IronPort and spam filtering -
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/11/04/ironport_technical/
But see this bit about email -

Webmail & Roundcube – Replacing SquirrelMail with Roundcube.

Back in 2007, we launched a Webmail solution based on the popular SquirrelMail. Whilst Squirrel has proved to be perfectly adequate as a Webmail client, I don’t think anyone would disagree with the fact that it hasn’t got the prettiest of user interfaces? It’s also not the best at handling large volumes of email and all too often customers can encounter errors when trying to access a particularly large mailbox or folder. We never intended for SquirrelMail to be a permanent solution and since it was originally deployed we’ve been looking at alternatives.
Here are just a few of the Webmail solutions we’ve looked at:
   * Dimp
   * @mail
   * OpenXchange
   * Claros intouch
   * MailBee
   * Zimbra
Missing from the list above is a tidy little webmail solution that goes by the name of Roundcube. Roundcube’s somewhat of a newcomer on the webmail scene but it’s fast gaining popularity and is just the sort of thing that we’ve been looking for.

So not much change from 2007/8.
How about ATMAIL?
http://atmail.com/webmail-client.php
Also I have just found the Outlook style interface.  I did not remember it correctly.  This is only a Squirrelmail theme so I guess not really suitable.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirreloutlook/
Let's hope Plusnet move this up the priority list after 4 years waiting !
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Let's hope Plusnet move this up the priority list after 4 years waiting !

That's why I'm going to be making more noise about this issue at Plusnet this week Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team