cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissapointed new customer

hwwilson

Dissapointed new customer

Hi, I recently joined PlusNet from SKY, since setting up the router I have been so disappointed with plusnet. The wifi signal from the router is so poor we cannot use laptops etc outwith the room where the router is situated. With SKY we could use our wifi equipment out in the garden 40 foot away from the router. I now can no longer get the internet on our mobiles or tablets, they link to the wifi but get no connection to the internet.

The laptops will connect via Ethernet cable, but have problems connecting via wifi. I have to keep entering the default gateway in the wireless adapter on all laptops.
I have raised the issue Ticket 75710710 had one reply, but no further follow up
I t would have been so nice just to plug in a go like every other service provider I have had.
Seriously thinking about cancelling and moving back to SKY or BT. Undecided
Anybody else had this type of problem.
9 REPLIES 9
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Dissapointed new customer

Welcome to the forum hwwilson, the good news is, it isn't the service, the bad news is, it is the Technicolour router. There are numerous threads saying how bad the WiFi is with the technicolour . Unfortunately, your only option is to buy yourself another one, or wait until PN dip their hands in their pockets, and finally give out a decent router, to the people who are paying good money for their service.
tjd
Grafter

Hi Hwwilson,
Sorry to hear about your problem, but I can tell you from experience, regardless of what people say, there's nothing wrong with the router PlusNet supplied you.
The PC we have in the living room and my PC are connected by Ethernet (cable). Absolutely no lag there. However in my house we have my brothers PC, my sisters laptop, a samsung smart TV hooked up to netflix etc, my phone and my sisters phone all hooked up to wireless and
there's absolutely no problem with any of the wireless devices using the router that PlusNet has supplied.
I would suggest checking the drivers of the network cards you have in your laptops and if there's no success there I would suggest making sure the settings for the wirless to your laptops are correct, or maybe even buying a really cheap network card / cards for the laptops you are having problems with.
If you are having no luck with trying to configure the settings by yourself, or having no luck with the support tickets in the members centre, you should message one of the PlusNet staff directly on the forums and I can assure you 100% they will go above and beyond the level of support you would get from Sky or any other internet provider.
I hope you can resolve your problems, and when you do I'm sure you will have a great experience with PlusNet compared to your previous ISP's.
Regards
Tj - 5 year + PlusNet member Smiley
hwwilson

Hi
Thank you for the replies.
I have come to the conclusion that it must be the router.
I have had an email during the night from plusnet advising that they are going to turn on interleaving which could take upto 5 days to start working.
There is nothing wrong with our laptops as they worked for the last 3 yrs with sky without any problems whatsoever. They were all working with SKY on  3rd Oct updated to PlusNet on 4th and since then had nothing but problems,
Going to try and cancel this morning.
Heather
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Have you tried changing the wireless channel ? see the help here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
It could be that your Sky router was on a different channel to the PN one and that there are other routers nearby on the same channel which are interfering with the PN one.
I have to keep entering the default gateway in the wireless adapter on all laptops.
That sounds very strange!!, even if the laptops are disconnecting from the wifi they should automatically get the default gateway via DHCP when they reconnect. They are set to use DHCP ( 'obtain an IP address automatically' ) aren't they ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamesM
Grafter

Hi Heather,
I can tell you from experience, regardless of what people say, that the technicolour has bad WiFi, I bought my Mum a Smart TV and needed to hook it up to wireless to get the updates. The TV is downstairs and the router is upstairs. To get 3 out of 5 bars on the TV wifi, I have to unplug the router and bring it halfway down the stairs as far as the lead will take it. So at the moment, the smart part of the TV is useless as the router is a health hazard when it is on the stairs. When the grandkids go down to sleep at my Mums, they cant use their Ipads or Laptops unless they go upstairs.
As soon as fibre is up and running in my area, then I will be giving my Mum my Belkin router, so the smart TV can be used as a smart TV, and my Mum can sit in her chair and watch BBC I player instead of having to go upstairs and watch it on the computer, also the grandkids can sit in comfort in the lounge room and use their WiFi stuff.
Also, the router had been left flat on the carpeted floor (my Mum must have knocked it with her foot) and it was sat on top of the ADSL wire, when I picked the router up, the ADSL plastic coating had melted into the bottom of the router, so it looks like it could be a fire hazard too.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@hwwilson I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment with our router. I'd advise giving the advice a try that's been given both in our reply to ticket 75710710 and in MisterW's reply. Let us know if you need any help with that.
@JamesM Really sorry to hear about the issues with your mum's router I understand you've been dealing with Matt directly via PM about this?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesM
Grafter

Yes, Cheers Adam, I have been in touch via PM and Matt is sorting it.
hwwilson

Hi to everyone who has replied to my most.
I have changed the channel already and yes they are set to use DHCP ( 'obtain an IP address automatically' ) . It's very weird how the laptops, mobile & tablets pick up the wifi signal but won't connect to the internet. I have another plusnet router that had a faulty plug which hasn't been returned yet, so will try that next.
Contacted PlusNet this morning to request that they cancel my c broadband as it has only been installed for 2 weeks, guess what they wanted £99 to cancel.
seriously not happy. Not sure what to do next!!!!
Heather Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried changing the SSID on the router to something shorter? I've seen posts in the past where some devices couldn't handle the long PlusnetWirelessxxxxxx name.
To change it go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1 then click on the WLN: PlusnetWirelessxxxxxx  at the top and then select configure
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)