Disappointment with Plusnet

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disappointment with Plusnet

rather silly question
why do you need 4 filters
with a modern master socket all the extensions are filtered
if you don't have that are you intending to connect phones to all the extension sockets as you don't need filters on them if there isn't a phone connected
cbmonkey
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
rather silly question
why do you need 4 filters
with a modern master socket all the extensions are filtered
if you don't have that are you intending to connect phones to all the extension sockets as you don't need filters on them if there isn't a phone connected

Why is it a silly question?.
I said my house has no ethernet ports. Every room has a phone socket in it, so I want to change it so I can connect and ethernet cable to things - simple
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A house typically has a master socket and for a new build that may well be a filtered faceplate which means that all the other connections in the house will be phone only not broadband or fibre and don't require a filter
If it doesn't have a filtered faceplate then you can connect the router to any one of the phone sockets via a filter although it isn't recommended as the extension wiring may reduce the signal quality and hence the speed but then you only need to filter the other sockets if you have a phone or similar device connected to it
I don't understand your reference to ethernet ports as that would only apply if you had a data routing distribution system in the property which is never done as standard
cbmonkey
Grafter

Ok I’ll explain it even more to you although I don’t know why I am.
I do not want to use wifi for my desktop PC and I also do not want to use wifi for my TV box. The problem lays in that the room my TV is in (Lounge) and my PC is (study room) they do not have connections that would allow me to hard wire these into a socket. They do however, have a phone cable plug in point. I want to use these plug in points with a microfilter which will allow me to use a phone cable port as an ethernet port, as the microfilter turns a phone port into a separate phone and ethernet port side by side.
AndyH
Grafter

Can that be done? Why not just run ethernet cable around instead with data points?
cbmonkey
Grafter

Apparently so (or so i've been told by an IT guy at work).
My house 3 floors.The lounge on the upstairs level and the study room down on the bottom. Plus, with the hardwood flooring upstairs in the lounge and the TV being on the opposite side of the room compared to where the stairs are, I think it’d just look a mess to run cable everywhere.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

you should consider HomePlugs then
cbmonkey
Grafter

I have power adaptors if that’s what you mean (plug into a normal plug socket and turns into ethernet output).
Every now and then the internet just drops out using these a couple of times a week for 15 minutes or so. It is why I was wanting to give the microfilters a go.
Anyway, anyone know where to get these that plusnet would recommend as I have seen ones that say compatible for Sky but not PN
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: cbmonkey
I do not want to use wifi for my desktop PC and I also do not want to use wifi for my TV box. The problem lays in that the room my TV is in (Lounge) and my PC is (study room) they do not have connections that would allow me to hard wire these into a socket. They do however, have a phone cable plug in point. I want to use these plug in points with a microfilter which will allow me to use a phone cable port as an ethernet port, as the microfilter turns a phone port into a separate phone and ethernet port side by side.
and I will explain further even though I don't know why I bother
You do realise don't you that a standard BT phone socket has only two wires connected to it and an RJ45 connection has 4 wires used
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What make/model powerline adaptors are you using? Do they drop the Internet even if your router remains connected to Plusnet?
Currently I've had a connection for 1 day 15 hours but that drop lasted seconds and was due to engineering work. Connections lasting weeks are normal for me.
David
cbmonkey
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Quote from: cbmonkey
and I will explain further even though I don't know why I bother
You do realise don't you that a standard BT phone socket has only two wires connected to it and an RJ45 connection has 4 wires used

If someone asks for a certain thing, why do you always get jumped up people trying to be awkward.
Someone at work suggested something to me, I asked for that. Its really just as simple as that.
cbmonkey
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
What make/model powerline adaptors are you using? Do they drop the Internet even if your router remains connected to Plusnet?
Currently I've had a connection for 1 day 15 hours but that drop lasted seconds and was due to engineering work. Connections lasting weeks are normal for me.

The ones I bought last year were http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZOZH46?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
When it drops, my phone will still have wifi signal and so forth but its just the desktop that I was using these with would lose the connection  Undecided
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

as the microfilter turns a phone port into a separate phone and ethernet port side by side.
It doesn't, I'm afraid. All a microfilter does is provide 2 connections to the phone line, 1 - a filtered connection via a standard BT style plug ( for phones ) and 2 - an unfiltered connection via an RJ11 socket ( for an ADSL/VDSL modem ). 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbmonkey
Grafter

Just had this email come through...
Hello Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.  We received your original enquiry on 18/06/15 and raise a Case - C1190020.  I've just had confirmation from our Planning Team that all of our work to provide service to your development is now complete.  You should now be able to progress the installation of the service to your premises.  This might take longer depending on the appointment agreed with Openreach and your chosen service provider. 

I appreciate that any delay that you experienced is disappointing and I’m sorry that we weren’t able to provide you with service sooner.

Thanks

Openreach Newsite Development Queries Team

Does this finally mean I can be connected?  Huh
cbmonkey
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
as the microfilter turns a phone port into a separate phone and ethernet port side by side.
It doesn't, I'm afraid. All a microfilter does is provide 2 connections to the phone line, 1 - a filtered connection via a standard BT style plug ( for phones ) and 2 - an unfiltered connection via an RJ11 socket ( for an ADSL/VDSL modem ). 

Ah thats a shame 😐
Only other option then is to hopefully connect the router into the study room so I can hardwire it into the desktop I guess