cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit form

jaymitton

Direct Debit form

I have just signed up with Plusnet so filled in your Direct debit form online. The first field line asked for Forename/s, so as it is a joint account I typed in both forenames as requested. The second field line asked for Surname/s, so I put in both our surnames. When the confirmation email came through to me with a copy of the Direct Debit form being sent to our bank I was horrified to see both our forenames followed by both our surnames! I have no idea whether or not our bank will accept it in this silly format. Hopefully they will understand the error but really, what birdbrain designed such a daft format resulting in two first names followed by two surnames? Makes no sense at all; please review your online form so that names are in the normal and correct format.
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Direct Debit form

It has never even crossed my mind to enter both account holders' details into a Direct Debit form.  Often, thought not always, there's a clause that says that by submitting the form you acknowledge that only one account holder's permission is required. 
In the case of the PN form the wording is "Account holder's forename(s)" and "Account holder's surname(s)" - This allows for customers with middle names and also those with double barreled surnames.  The term "Account holder's" is singlular, "Account holders' " would be plural. 
Subtle (and yes it could be clearer!)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and thanks for the feedback about the direct debit form.
Banks tend to use the name as a guideline so it shouldn't be an in case if that differs slightly from what's been presented on the form. Any form of validation is carried out against the sort code and account number.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: pwatson

In the case of the PN form the wording is "Account holder's forename(s)" and "Account holder's surname(s)" - This allows for customers with middle names and also those with double barreled surnames.  The term "Account holder's" is singlular, "Account holders' " would be plural. 
Subtle (and yes it could be clearer!)

Strictly speaking the term " Account holder's " is short for " Account holder is ".
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, it's a possessive apostrophe in the sentence "Account holder's forename". 
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

OK, I apologise, it seems English is slightly more complicated than I thought.  Wink
It's a long time since I left school, and I have to admit I never really fully understood all the complicated grammar rules, and types of words such as pronouns and adverbs etc.