cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default router setup

sjgage

Default router setup

Hi,
I've referred several people in my local area to PlusNet and have been happy with the service they have received.
However, the default settings on new Thomson routers seems a bit short-sighted. The default SSID always seems to be 'PlusnetWireless', which means that where two customers are within Wifi range of each other, they will sometimes attempt to connect to the wrong base station. I know how to change this, but I don't see why I should have to.
Could we not have something like 'Plusnet12AB' or similar, like BT does? The sticker on the bottom of the router should match the SSID which is preconfigured in the router - it currently still says ThomsonC3953A1 or similar.
Also, BT have a default DSL login of anything@btbroadband.com which will accept any password, meaning that the routers can be set up before they arrive. Why can't Plusnet do this?
Steve.
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Default router setup

my Thompson SSID starts with Thompson and then a serial number, certainly not PN, had it since Jan
scootie
Grafter

plusnet's old bunniness model (ie niche one) use to mainly attract customers that new abit about routers so making the router config easy enought for 5 year old to setup wasnt of big improtance to plusnet as it was for bt or sky.
But with the new products aimed at a broader user knowledge base they also launched there own firmware for the thompson's which in near future if not all ready will make it easy for PN staff to remote login into the router and set it up / fault diagnosis ect when the customer requests it
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: ASBO
plusnet's old bunniness model
Does it look like this  Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Nearly as bad as your Durd Knee, now you are giving us the needle (of Sorts)