cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers failing

Motteroy

Re: DNS servers failing

Odd.  I've changed the DNS on my router to 208.67.222.222 and get both bbc.co.uk and Slashdot.org
All of the sites I've looked at (couple of airlines, couple of banks, bbc) are accessible.
martinu
Dabbler

Yes with the 8.8.8.8 fix I can get to bbc.co.uk, amazon.co.uk etc that I couldn't before.  So far I've not found a site that I can't connect to - apart from https://portal.plus.net/ - Plusnet's own server.
Boodz85
Grafter

would be nice if a plusnet representative pulled there finger out and explained what there doing to fix this!!
Badgi
Dabbler

Using third party DNS and still having some issues, so I figure it's more than just a DNS issue.
Would be nice to have an update on what is actually happening, what happened to the good old days when PlusNet were on the ball and forthcoming with information?
Seems some services are starting to resume now, whilst typing this out.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Personally I'm not happy routing through Google. We all know where most of their revenue comes from and Adblock could be useless further up the line.
Let's be careful out there !
koumi
Dabbler

I access internet via smartphone and I am having the same issues
 www.google.co.uk shows as an invalid link and same with other websites I visit regularly.   I'm suprised the plusnet weblink is up and running and my facebook app works.
Tried to ring plusnet (thought it was my fibre up the creek) but as it seems its plusnet thats having the problems because there is a recprded messaging notifying me of the high volume of calls and doesnt even place me in a que (call disconnects)  even live webchat is disabled.
C'mon plusnet pull your binky out and get it back up!
nursemorph
Dabbler

Re: Some sites load, others don't and show ERR-NAME-RESOLUTION-FAILED

I just tried a couple of sites to check and all the sites I have tried that couldn't open before are now opening. Not sure if it has been fixed or I just lucked in. I'm currently running DNS with primary as router ip and secondary as google's and did an ipflush 15 minutes ago
JASLincs
Dabbler

Is this just plusnet or an Internet wide problem?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I've just posted in the announcements thread. I've given it a title a little more understandable for anyone visiting this forum for the first time for the purpose of the outage. I'll provide updates ASAP.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Some sites load, others don't and show ERR-NAME-RESOLUTION-FAILED

Quote from: racquel
Quote from: jaark
bbc.co.uk (212.58.246.103)
slashdot.org (216.34.181.45)
Both reachable from other networks but not Plusnet

Both sites loading fine here with the 8.8.8.8 fix.

I can get bbc.co.uk with 8.8.8.8 too.
However, I can't get to www.gov.uk
I can get to that site through an EE dongle, but there seem to be some different sites that don't work through that.
A global bork-up?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

All starting to come back this end  Smiley
Let's be careful out there !
aich
Dabbler

Changing to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 HAS fixed it for me - I have tried all the sites I couldn't access before and they are all available - to me at least.
I confirm that I can also access bbc.co.uk and slashdot.org.
For those that it doesn't work for you could try (if on Windows) going to a command prompt (cmd.exe) and flushing the DNS resolver cache by typing "ipconfig /flushdns" this forces the computer to lookup the address of sites using the new DNS settings.
It would seem strange if it was a network problem that caused DNS resolution problems for some sites only which was fixed by changing to a public DNS like Google.
Unless a network problem (that stops some areas from still accessing some sites after changing to Google DNS) has affected the DNS severs from updating correctly.
Doorman
Grafter

Early this morning I changed to Google DNS using Windows settings and while it fixed some sites such as BBC, it broke others that until that point had been working. Have now changed router settings to Google DNS as opposed to Windows settings and so far so good, all seems OK. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone that changed setting in Windows had the same issue.
Rigga
Grafter

Seems to be back, at least for me anyway.
I've been on Google DNS the whole time.
nursemorph
Dabbler

Quote from: Kremmen
All starting to come back this end  Smiley

Yep...same here....have tried 10 different sites that were inaccessible 10 minutes ago and they all load fine and quickly