cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer dis-service

nettsales
Dabbler

Customer dis-service

I make a simple request to upgrade my broadband service. 
I'm told the upgrade will have to wait till my next renewal date.
I request they perform the upgrade at that date (Yesterday, Sunday).
They don't.
Customer (dis) service now tell me that I will have to wait another full month before I can be upgraded cos they cocked up.
I ask for their customer service director name so I can express my concern.
I'm told they are not allowed to give out their name.
The Director responsible for customer service does not want to be bothered by customers with service issues... hmmm
35 REPLIES 35
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Customer dis-service

upgrade in what way?
swapping package etc. you can do via the member portal, and it is done auto on your next billing date.
Adam (or someone from PN) will be able to give more information as to what has gone wrong though Smiley
nettsales
Dabbler

I need a static IP address.  This is not available on the package we are currently on so I requested an upgrade to the Pro package at our next billing date (which was yesterday).
It did not happen and they now tell me there is nothing on the accout recording my request so I have to wait another month to get the static IP.  I simply can't wait that long so I guess my only option is to cancel this service and move to another provider?
customer "service" assured me that there was nothing they could do at the same time as they refused to allow me to escalate my issue...
matt_2k34
Grafter

Out of curiosity, what package were you on before? I may be wrong but i thought a static could be applied to any account (altho some accs incurr a charge of £5)
indeed, CS does sometimes get it wrong (or very wrong  ::))...
also, "in the meantime" if the static IP is for directing people to your connection (im guessing here, as i dont know what you want to use it for), you could try a service like no-ip as a temporary solution?
Regards
Matt
edit: where i said "on before" i meant.. what package are you still on that should have been swapped Tongue
nettsales
Dabbler

I'n on the value package, which suits us fine but CS tell me we can't have a static IP address on this service.
I won't bore you with our need for a static IP address, but we do need one Sad  no-ip does not do what I need - unfortunately!
matt_2k34
Grafter

indeed, unfortunately you are one of only two products that PN sells (or sold rather) that you are ineligble for a static IP.
as shown Sad
What are you trying to do with said static IP, if there is another way round it im sure we can do a temp-fix Smiley
(while someone from PN comments on their CS mistake)
nettsales
Dabbler

Hi Matt_2k34,
I'm doing email address validation using a tool I've had written.  Essentially this tool emulates an email server (but NEVER sends an email) to see whether the email address is valid or not.
However, in order for it to work effectively I need to remove the sending IP address from the RBL (an email blacklist that lists all ADSL IP's to help cut down on spam when these IP are hijacked), set up SPF and Domain key authentication.
Clearly, I need a static IP in order to achieve these functions as I can't (ethically) remove the dynamic IP currently assigned to us from the RBL.
If I run this function from a dynamic IP, 30 - 40% of the SMTP servers I ping refuse (quite rightly) to handshake.
Any ideas?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

nettsales,
I'm sorry to hear about these problems.
customer "service" assured me that there was nothing they could do at the same time as they refused to allow me to escalate my issue...

This is big concern to us, there should always be a path for escalating issues here. I will raise this with contact centre management here.
In the meantime I don't mind picking up the pieces and getting this sorted for you. I do have a suggestion for pushing the change through sooner than the next billing date but it would involve setting up a new account and swapping the details over to that.
Let me know if you'd be interested in doing that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nettsales
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply and your attention.
Firstly on the escalation issue, I was very surprised when the CS rep said "that's it, nothing else I can do.  My supervisor says no.  You'll have to wait till next month."
Secondly, on your suggestion about creating a new account and swapping stuff around, I'd be delighted to do this - I even suggested it to your customer services person.  I won't bore you with her response Smiley
If it's easier to talk this through on the phone, please do call - I'm sure you can find my contact details from my account, which you will easily work out from my username here!
Thanks,
Simon
matt_2k34
Grafter

Excellent, now you've had a reply from adam (and hopefully the start of a solution)
What exactly do you expect this program to acheive ? spf certainly would be able to be done using a no-ip address (as it will resolve to an IP, its a no biggie) although ive never used Domain Key auth.
im guessing you want to make a database of "legit" and "non-legit" email servers ? (to see who is sending spam)
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm hoping you are not expecting servers sending to you to see you as having a static rather than a dynamic IP - the static IPs are taken from the same pool as the dynamic IPs. I'm not sure if the same is true if you took out a block of IPs.
Edit: This is why people using their own mail servers are recommended to relay out through relay.plus.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nettsales
Dabbler

@Matt_2k34 - No, it's far simpler than that.  we're validating whether a specific email address exists or not by initiating an email send to it - but NEVER sending an email.  The response codes from the server will tell me whether the address is valid or not and a few more details if it is not.
@Jelv - we're not running a mail server so are not receiving any email (nor sending any).  Good point about no-ip and spf.  But our biggest issue is getting an IP address that we can remove from the RBL.
RBL is a blacklist that email servers use to identify potential spammers by listing all the IP addresses used by ISPs for deploying bradband.  Email should not originate from these email addresses, so every IP is automatically added to this list by default.  It is possible to request removal from the list, but only if you use a static IP, for obvious reasons.  (RBL IP adddresses are held by email receiving servers so that if one of these email addresses seeks to send them mail, they can automatically refuse it knowing it's likely to be a compromised PC being exploited by a hacker.  It's a good system.)
nettsales
Dabbler

PS.  Yes, hopefully this can now be resolved. Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi nettsales,
If it's easier to talk this through on the phone, please do call - I'm sure you can find my contact details from my account, which you will easily work out from my username here!

Yes, this will be dealt with much better by phone as I need to go through setting up the new account with you. Bear with me and I'll be able to give you a call this afternoon.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nettsales
Dabbler

Thanks Adam that's great.  I'll be around all afternoon.