cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service Unhelpful would not recommend Plusnet

norfolkcrystal

Customer Service Unhelpful would not recommend Plusnet

I came over to Plusnet a week ago from BT using a MAC Key Code  issued by BT.
On checking my BT account I found it was still active with them,and that BT still thought they were still providing me with broadband.
On contacting BT they said Plusnet had not informed them about my leaving and going to Plusnet.
So I contacted Plusnet customer service to sort this out or get advice.
What a waste! very rude and unhelpful person who told me it was up to me to stop BT
May be it is my job to do this but when ever you change provider (Bank, Electric or broadband) the new company usually sorts things out for you or at least gives some friendly and helpful advice.
It seems that the staff are friendly and helpful until they have you signed up then stuff you we are after our next commission  to sell our broadband to another person (idiot).
I have put my comments on Plusnets Facebook page as well to let other know what I think.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Customer Service Unhelpful would not recommend Plusnet

Sorry you feel like we've not given you the service you expected. Unfortunately it's not possible for use to tell the other supplier that you are now our customer and to cancel your account as we are not the account holder. In some cases people keep certain services with their old supplier when leaving (such as email etc) so for us to request the account to be cancelled wouldn't be the best option even if it were possible.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi norfolkcrystal,
Have a look at the Broadband Migration (MAC) process here http://www.ukbroadband-advisor.co.uk/doc.pdf
Basically what happens is that PlusNet (the GSP in this case) give your MAC to BT Wholesale(BTw) who then inform BT Retail (the LSP in this case) that the migration has completed. As Chris says, they (PlusNet)  cannot communicate with BT Retail directly.
I suspect that in your case BT Retail are being slightly disengenuous in that they will have (or should have!) been informed by BTw that you have migrated and that your Broadband account should be cancelled. In reality when migrating its always worth contacting your old supplier yourself once migration has completed.
That's not to say that it excuses PlusNet CSC for not explaining things properly...
Edit: Just reading that Migration Code of practice more closely
The LSP must specify how customers can contact it to request a MAC (to include phone,
email and letter as a minimum).

Notice the minimum methods required to apply for a MAC.
Further edit: Ok!,scratch that last comment, my link is to the Voluntary Code of Practice, the mandatory one only requires 2 of the 3 methods to be provided. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and its not just ISP's
I have just varied a Direct debit for a magazine, closed the old and took out a new £2.50 per quarter cheaper. I was advised to go  to the bank as well to make sure the old DD was cancelled
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You should be able to cancel DD's by Telephone or Internet Banking as well.
Well I hope BT retail having tried to bill the OP for the period since migration. If they have I would ring and demand an immediate credit back to your account. If this isn't forthcoming, put it in writing/email and tell them you will reverse the DD as they have billed you incorrectly without notification (I hope you have given them the required minimum notice under your specific contract!). As long as that is the case you can get your bank to reverse the DD.