cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curiosity about speeds

sixthprawn
Grafter

Curiosity about speeds

Why  would my speed decrease when joining plusnet, using the same line. My three previous isp's all gave me a steady speed, plusnet say its acceptable to give me less. Sounds a bit odd to me.  Thoughts?
85 REPLIES 85
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Curiosity about speeds

This all depends on the type of connection your ISP provided. If it was an LLU service then a 'line training' period is needed with ISPs using BT Wholesale (like ourselves) during this time the best possible line speed is calculated over the first 10-14 days.
On that basis who were you with before and what are your speeds actually like at the moment, run a test here for us please: http://speedtester.bt.com/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sixthprawn
Grafter

I have run many tests through that speedtester. My previous isp's where talk talk, sky and bt itself, all of which gave me a stable and continuous 2.5mb.  Sounds bad i know but i live at the edge of the universe  Wink
With plusnet, it's down to 1.8 Sad
*edited for typo
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sixthprawn,
Looks like your profile has jumped back up to 3000 as of early this morning, hope that makes a difference for you. Not sure if you've changed anything in your setup for that to happen?
sixthprawn
Grafter

I haven't done anything but just did a speedtest and noticed Smiley   Don't touch a thing Wink

Much better.
Thanks matty
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Image tags added.
sixthprawn
Grafter

Sorry for double post, but...
my internet went off and now....

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, can't see a dropped connection on our logs here, though that's not to say it doesn't happen. Is your router plugged into the master phone socket, where the line comes in to the premises? Also is everything else plugged into the line going through a microfilter? If so please leave the router in the master socket and unplug everything else in the house and see if that makes any difference. If so, the fault is with something plugged into the line adding interference. If not it looks like you may have a line fault, which should be reported to us at http://faults.plus.net
sixthprawn
Grafter

I'm in the master socket(tried test socket too), tried a few filters and also with nothing else connected.
I phoned tech supp, there is a problem but they want to watch the line..... Should i just report a fault?
Btw, speed now at ....

And i pay for this Roll_eyes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sixthprawn,
Your current sync rate is 2368k which will give you a profile of 2000k. this can take up to 72 hours without any disconnections. As you can see from the graph below there have still been some disconnections. If you are aware of what has caused them then I would leave your router on constantly until the profile has increased. If you are not aware of what is causing them then I would suggest leaving your fault open for the faults team to investigate further.
Jojo Smiley
sixthprawn
Grafter

2368k ?Huh
I tried at speedtester.bt.com, couldn't run the test, tried again at speedtest.net and got this...  

This is getting really stupid now. Would you like me to make a video of the speedtest while it is running?  Then you can see what i see, which is basically only a slight improvement on dial up. I will be making a complaint about this. About the service (terrible),  Staff (not phoning back as promoised, putting my problem in the wrong queue, telling me things that simply aren't true etc..)
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Image tags added for clarity.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sixthprawn,
2368k is your sync rate (the speed at which your router is connecting to the exchange). This is not the speed you will get until the line has stayed stable with no drops in connection. The sync speed will determine the line profile and it is the line profile which determines your speed. As I said in my previous post your current sync rate - should your connection remain stable - will produce a profile of 2000k. Once your profile lifts to 2000k you will then see your speed increase.
Jojo Smiley
sixthprawn
Grafter

It was 3000 a few days ago.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It was 3000

Sync rates will vary I'm afraid, as yours is right at the top of the lower limit for 3mb your profile may change between 2500 and 3000 from time to time.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sixthprawn
Grafter

I'm getting somewhere. 650 faults on my upstream.
sixthprawn
Grafter

Who do i ask for a refund?