Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card payments

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Credit card payments

Just heard on the news the goverment are to restrict how much companies can charge for credit and debit charge payments to the actual cost to the trader. That's going to affect PlusNet with their rip of charge to pay for CC payments.
12 REPLIES 12
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Credit card payments

At least, with Plusnet, one has the option of paying by Direct Debit at no extra cost  Wink
Try that with a budget airline.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

it's too eary for us to say anything I'm afriad. This is still just at the discussion stage in parliament and consultation should begin in the new year.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gswindale
Grafter

Quick question which has probably been answered before; so sorry if it has:
Do PN charge for both Debit & Credit Card payments?  A number of retailers don't for Debit but do for Credit.
Are the government plans to impact both?
Why would people pay for their service on a Credit Card?  Surely that is just moving the debt around and not actually paying anything?
I still feel that the charges are fair; however in other cases where those of us who pay by DD get a rebate; what is going to happen there?  It would be unfair to then penalise us for using a more efficient method of payment.
Thus I suggest that PN up their prices and introduce a rebate for DD customers.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The charge is actually for non-direct debits, so covers cheque payments too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gswindale
Grafter

Surely you should charge more for cheque payments  Smiley
They're a right pain to deal with - check words & numbers match; check payee is correct; check it's signed; check it's dated correctly.
glloyd
Rising Star

Ah but that's being followed by an EU directive which I believe will be even stricter and about time to. For far to long it's been seen as an easy way to make an extra few quid.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
it's too eary for us to say anything I'm afriad. This is still just at the discussion stage in parliament and consultation should begin in the new year.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/creditcards/8974365/Credit-card-fees-to...
The European Union is to ban excessive card fees levied by airlines from 2014. However, the British ban will be enforced sooner and go significantly further.
I haven't managed to find any details of the actual EU Directive
EDIT - the full directive is here http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0064:0088:EN:PDF and the relevant clause is
Article  19
Fees  for  the  use  of  means  of  payment
Member  States  shall  prohibit  traders  from  charging  consumers, in  respect  of  the  use  of  a  given  means  of  payment,  fees  that exceed  the  cost  borne  by  the  trader  for  the  use  of  such  means.
So if a supplier can demonstrate that the extra cost of a credit card payment over the other payment methods is valid then they are OK. Whether this cost includes indirect costs (rate of payment failure for example) will depend on the detailed wording when the Directive is passed into UK Law
WelshPaul
Grafter

Companies will just up their prices to reflect any loss by this so although you won't get charged as such for a CC transaction we will all end up paying fo it in the long run.
If i was charging £20 per month for a product and i charged a pound for CC transactions then after any ban i would up the base price from £20 to £20.50 to cover any charges incurred when a customer used a CC!
glloyd
Rising Star

There are other things that need sorting out like charges for debit card payment. If I go to a store and pay by debit card some charge as they are charged by their bank. But if I draw the money out on the same debit card and pay cash neither I or the store get charged. All this is just stupid because it's all done automatically so no cost is involved.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've never been into a store and been charged for using a debit card.  Where do you shop?
nadger
Rising Star

And supermarkets will give you cash back, at no extra charge, on debit cards.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I've never been into a store and been charged for using a debit card.  Where do you shop?

It's often smaller retailers that charge; or at least refuse card payments for transactions under a certain amount.
If I go to a store and pay by debit card some charge as they are charged by their bank. But if I draw the money out on the same debit card and pay cash neither I or the store get charged. All this is just stupid because it's all done automatically so no cost is involved.

The store will be charged for the cash handling.  It is just at a different rate - normally much cheaper and worked out over a time period rather than on a transaction by transaction basis.