Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyrighted content email

UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Copyrighted content email

I got one of these Emails entitled "Copyrighted content email  - please read"

The email lists a film that was watched.

It turns out my son was the culprit and words have been had.

My point here is that the link in the email takes me to a page that says I have no infringments. So that, to me, suggests you have a bug somewhere.

The following statement is in the email; "We've received notification that the following content has been shared using your Internet connection:"

Well the content wasnt shared, it was viewed. It wasnt shared out with anyone else. So the wording in the email needs to be adressed.

I had a web chat with a service rep on this, he said he'd pass this "up the line", which IME never happens, so I'd thought I'd post here.

Thats all.

7 REPLIES 7
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Copyrighted content email

Hi @UncleZen

We've just forwarded onto you the notifications we've received from the copyright holders - which is where the wording of the correspondence is initially created. 

Right at this second, I'm not 100% sure who I would speak to in order to flag your feedback correctly. 

I'll link in with a few people (including the agent you spoke to on Live Chat) and see if I can get more info. I'll make sure it gets to the right people one way or another. 

It may be that, in this case, "shared" means being downloaded,streamed,ripped etc - rather than the meaning we use on a day to day basis. Again, i'll try and get some clarity on this.

Thanks for the heads up. 

MoR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleZen - This is nothing to do with me, but I feel I need to mention that some content viewers will act as a Peer-to-Peer File Share Utility allowing the content you are viewing to be viewer by others. It maybe worth while asking your son what application he used to view the content as some sites insist that you download their own viewer in order to access the content.

UncleZen
Rising Star

Apparently he used something called "popcorn time" and Ive since discovered, he also used a VPN.

Obviously the use of a VPN suggests to me that he sort of knew what he was doing.

I have explained to him the consequenses of his actions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Accoring to my search:

Popcorn Time is a multi-platform, free software BitTorrent client that includes an integrated media player. The applications provide a free alternative to subscription-based video streaming services such as Netflix.

This might help explain the use of the word shared, as the client can act as a Peer-to-Peer as originally mentioned.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sounds like the cost of the "VPN" is wasted money, then?

Perhaps he didn't set up his DNS appropriately?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

UncleZen
Rising Star

Hopefully he'll learn from this.....or will he?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Apparently there is no need to learn anything, except that these notifications are just paper tigers.Cheesy

If you ignore them then AFAIK nothing further ever happens.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."