cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Length

Heloman
Grafter

Contract Length

Not sure if this is the right forum. Apologies if not.
I was just looking at:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/providers/plus-net/
and I see that they quote the contract length for Value and Extra to be 12 months.
It's always been a  big Plus for me that Plusnet's contract length is not annual.
Perhaps they should be told  Roll_eyes
18 REPLIES 18
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Contract Length

Hi Heloman,
Some customers are put into a 12 month deferred contract if they for example, take a Wireless Router on a 12 month deferred contract, rather than paying for the router upfront. As you say some customers are just on the standard 10 day rolling contract, so it does depend what you sign up for.
I think the offer that they are showing is based on a 12 month deferred contract because if you were to go into the 12 month deferred contract we would set aside the activation fee (£25) and the Wireless Router (£40) as well.
Regardless of which, thank you for point that out to us Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I didn't think it was a year contract, more of a payment owed if you left within a year?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I see what you're saying, Chris, but -
If I was starting from scratch looking for an ISP, and saw the page linked by the OP, I'd immediately look elsewhere.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: dvorak
I didn't think it was a year contract, more of a payment owed if you left within a year?

Yes. that's what I meant by a deferred contract. Smiley
Heloman
Grafter

So  moneysupermarket.com still need to be told they are wrong, don't they?
That page gives a totally wrong impression IMHO.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll leave this one for the Digi Care Team on Tuesday so they can take a look.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember having the same issue when I changed my parents account a couple of years ago, and got a 'free' router when doing it. It said I was signing for a new annual contract, and when I asked on here what that meant, it turned out to be a deferred hardware cost, rather than actually being a contract where I'd have to pay x remaining months if I did want to cancel.
Not complaining as such, as it is probably to the customers advantage to pay £60-ish for the router and activation rather than x months remaining subscription to pay.
I thought it should have been clearer then, and it seems times have not changed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Albeit that all the non-fibre packages are deferred contracts, actually that's not the only thing wrong - although the headline speed is shown as upto 16Mb (upto 38Mb for Fibre) when you click on "More details" speeds are shown without the "upto" and when you hover over the ? there is no explanation about line length being a factor.
The "Apply by Phone" links don't work for any of the packages.
And here's an observation - when you click on the "First 6 months broadband free" links in blue footers, and look at the information on the Plusnet pages, it seems if you leave at the end of the free six months, all you are liable for is the Installation cost and the Router cost, at least that's my read of the legal bit, so that's a good deal eh!
Edit: And what a rubbish site it is anyway (the link in the OP, don't see why I should advertise by mentioning it's name)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

AFAIK, all our broadband packages are contracted annually these days unless you pay the activation fee up front.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

James
Grafter

This is a bit of a tough call to explain clearly!
Essentially our broadband and phone packages both carry a notice period of ten days, meaning that essentially they are on a ten day rolling contract.
However, the vast majority will either take free activation and/or hardware, meaning that if theywere to leave within the first 12 months, they would need to pay costs (£25/40) when they leave.
Adie - You are confusing the profit forgone contract on Fibre whereby you may less the longer into your contract should you elect to cancel.
So, short version, it is a 12 month contract and it's not a 12 month contract.
If that makes sense!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Someone had better have a look here then
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

James, the legal Ts&Cs for Fibre say it's an 18 month contract, implication being if you leave before then, you pay the outstanding monthly fees, If you leave before 12 months you pay for the Modem/Router and Installation as well. Not that I see there is anything wrong with that as the Installation costs for Fibre are presumably quite high, as long as it's what you intend.
As far as all the other non-fibre packages go, you should kick that website as there information is misleading.
James
Grafter

Fibre *is* an 18 month contract, but the cancellation costs decrease depending on how long you stay with us.
Generic broadband/phone service aren't on an annual contract per se as the notice period is 10 days, however a lot of people will refer to them as an annual contract due the deferred fees from the activation and/or hardware.
I appreciate the confusion.
dfunked
Grafter

When I moved house back in October, I was advised that I'd have to sign up for another 12 months (despite having to pay for installation!). This doesn't really tie in with what's been said above, so could someone please clear this up for me?