Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constructive posting

James
Grafter

Re: Constructive posting

I'm as cynical as anyone out there!
But I do have standards on how our complaints should be handled, as I say, regardless of how the complaint is composed.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Absolutely James - standards!
I have very little time personally for poor manners regardless of the reason and especially when it's just a rant with no explanation of what the problems is.
I admire the faults team and how they manage the complaints BUT there would also be a difference between how I behaved towards the complainees if it were my job too. Still, I take my hat off [or would if I had one] to them for keeping their cool in some very difficult situations.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

James I disagree with you to a degree. Consideration needs to be made as to who the message is directed to, who may read it and who will be able to reply to it.
Where it's a complaint ticket or letter (or something else) that has gone direct to you, no matter how it is expressed you will treat it the same.
If someone posts on a public forum they have to understand that it isn't a private conversation with Plusnet. In any case, most likely their intention is to try to warn other people off using Plusnet services. If they've gone totally overboard there will be responses negating what they've said which may inflame the situation. We've highlighted a couple of recent topics where people have posted appropriately, there's been nobody disagreeing and much sympathy for the OP over the situation they've found themselves in. What I think I'm saying is that sometimes people need protecting from themselves.
I've been toying with a really off the wall idea - but I'm not sure if it could be made to work. What about if when there's an OTT rant which is going to provoke unhelpful responses the moderators temporarily moved the topic to a forum board only visible to Plusnet staff and the moderators? Plusnet would be able to pick up the problem and deal with it. The moderators could let the user know why it's been hidden (maybe leave a stub topic explaining what's been done) and invite them to revise the post. The problem is the OP wouldn't be able to view or edit the post. If they want it to stand as is then it's moved back and the OP has to take the consequences of the responses whatever they may be.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I've been toying with a really off the wall idea - but I'm not sure if it could be made to work. What about if when there's an OTT rant which is going to provoke unhelpful responses the moderators temporarily moved the topic to a forum board only visible to Plusnet staff and the moderators? Plusnet would be able to pick up the problem and deal with it. The moderators could let the user know why it's been hidden (maybe leave a stub topic explaining what's been done) and invite them to revise the post. The problem is the OP wouldn't be able to view or edit the post. If they want it to stand as is then it's moved back and the OP has to take the consequences of the responses whatever they may be.

Isn't that like raising a ticket?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes! I nearly added that the PN staff member picking this up could raise a ticket with the contents of the post which would allow the OP to communicate with PN about it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is one problem with that - the next post will be one complaining about censorship and hiding problems
James
Grafter

Agree with OldJim.
If you want to communicate with Plusnet, raise a ticket and we will respond. A major point about these forums is that they are open and anyone can see them.  I think you (John) are trying to fix something that isn't a problem (in my eyes).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It isn't a problem to the extent that one topic went totally crazy and OldJim had to remove about 20 posts! I suggest you review the posts Jim's removed.
James
Grafter

I'm aware and I don't think it was just the OP who was at fault.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I didn't suggest it was. If people see something that is blatantly wrong they are liable to say so. The manner in which they expressed that opinion was mainly a lot milder than the OP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: James
Isn't that like raising a ticket?

James,
I rather guess that it is in part, however the question which often comes to mind when I read the rants devoid of detail or facts is "Has this user raised a support ticket through the proper support process, which PN has then FAILED to adequately reply to?".  If the answer is "No!" then I'm left questioning the real purpose of ranting on here rather than politely asking for help and / or following the appropriate support route.  If process has not been followed "its all just bad, I do not want to engage with process, I just want to shout" then the motives need to be challenged.
Quote from: James
But I do have standards on how our complaints should be handled, as I say, regardless of how the complaint is composed.

Whilst I do admire the professionalisim of your team in ignoring the tone (for want of a better word) of the post, it does have to be remembered that it is PN's staff's responsibility to deal with those issues which only PN can fix, whilst the help given here by many kind and commited forum members is a gift which posters should respect.  I agree strongly with Jelv - posts on here are not a private communications with PN - that's what the ticket system provides.  This is a public forum within which one has a reasonable expectation that posters will behave in a reasonable manner, especially when seeking help for their woes.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry it's late but I do want to offer tuppence worth here.
While I do appreciate what jelv says in his opening post, it's Razer's point of view that seems to nail it. Angry people are angry, and don't see or think clearly. It's much (much!) better to let them get it out in a rant, then let them see the next reply as an apology and a question as to what went wrong. Someone is taking an interest, and ignoring the rage.
In all honesty a thread that starts with ragey posts, instantly turns helpful and then resolves an issue looks utterly awesome to someone scanning forums to see what an ISP is like. Oh, look, this started horrid but the reps replied straight away and two days later they were happy and saying they were going to recommend.
Bit better than seeing a rant then a flurry of posts pointing out that rants are pointless and don't help anyone - that just looks like we have an incredibly unwelcoming community who (to the outsider) may well be in the ISPs pocket, or even ISP staff.
Jelv, I do agree that your post is useful and contains some very good points. However I don't think anyone angry enough to rant will take it any better than a post saying 'your broadband's broken? that's a shame, mine works perfectly' is if they're still wound up.
If ranty posts annoy you, leave them for us and jump in when things have calmed down (or if you see us saying something you feel is wrong :D)
Again, just my two pence worth, but if you take one thing from this please take the following: Put yourself in the ranter's shoes before responding to them. You've been angry with companies before. Give them a chance.
Thank you.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Well considered post Matt. However, I must respond to
You've been angry with companies before. Give them a chance.

In the past I most certainly have been angry with companies. I have also learned from experience that I elicit the most positive & helpful response by being firm but polite. I firmly believe that the majority of human beings respond far better to a smile than to abuse, even the excellent support staff at Plusnet! Smiley
(This is the honest opinion of a battle worn OAP.)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I agree, and try very hard to be the same way - unfortunately not everyone is the same though. Surely they deserve the same treatment as we (the reps) do?