cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection very very slow - no help from support please read!!!!

jmd
Grafter

Connection very very slow - no help from support please read!!!!

This afternoon and evening my connection has been very slow, and web pages have kept sticking and then going blank - tried to contact support but a recorded message says something but due to my hearing problem I cannot tell what is said  as the person is speaking quickly and quietly! - so rang the local number I had and was told that I had rung business support and he abruptly said  could not help me but to keep ringing the 0845 number [which costs me money!] - and I cannot get a real person answering on that number!  Cannot get the system status page to load - loaded once and said there were problems in Ilford but I am not in Ilford!
Cannot load the the Help Assistant page either to put in a ticket -  perhaps someone will look at this and tell me what is going on!  If I can bring this page up again that is!
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Connection very very slow - no help from support please read!!!!

Broadband Disconnections (56049)- NEW
ADSL Dial
Posted on: Saturday 4 April 2009, 16:25
Due to a major cable fault in the Ilford area, a large number of customers may have noticed their broadband connection dropped.
BT Engineers are working on this problem but there is no estimated fix time yet.
If you were one of these customers, and you're still having difficulty getting back online, then please turn off your modem or router for 20 minutes, switch it back on again and then try connecting to the Internet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you want to speak to our support team, you can call us on:
    * Customer Support: 0845 140 0200 or 0114 296 5198
    * Broadband Faults: 0845 140 0080 or 0114 296 5188
jmd
Grafter

Thank Pierre.................. still slow slow slow to upload........................... and sticking
bt will give up now until morning I think as I am fed up with it!
James
Grafter

It's still a big problem I'm afraid Josie.
There's some news about it on ThinkBroadband:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3924-major-cable-cut-in-east-london-tunnel.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A more comprehensive report:
http://noc.enta.net/2009/04/outage-framestream-leased-lines/comment-page-1/#comment-15783
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Not applicable

As Josie has alluded to it, I am sure that she won't mind me mentioning that one of her main problems in this matter is that she was having difficulty communicating with CS because of her hearing difficulties. Does Plusnet have systems in place to help people with this sort of problem?  Maybe a note on the computer system or perhaps a little bit of extra training for the staff?
jmd
Grafter

1]  I am now getting access to internet at 11.40am 7.4 but it is still very very very slooow - very irritating.  Cannot access main plusnet memeber page/service status or my "ticket" those pages reluctant to load but managed to get on here!  Emails are taking ages tooo..................  getting very irritated and fed up.
2] The CS staff on Sunday when I stated I had hearing problem seemed to think that meant I was daft [perhaps I was disturbing their day] so kept repeating and repeating  themselves about checking filter/router etc and said it would be sorted by end of day and were not at all helpful in their attitude.  Yesterday I did speak to techical support who gave me more information about what was going on.
3] Why could not affected customers be transferred onto a another gateway that was not affected on a automatic basis?
4] I know you can have messages on mobile re service but why can they not ring you on ordinary phone and update either by speakiing with you or leaving message?
James
Grafter

Hi Josie,
You need to understand that you are on a trial ADSL2+ service.
As a result of this, you are connected to what's called an MSIL that is terminating in London and has been affected by the problems happening in London.  The impact on our normal ADSL customer is minimised because we have multiple "centrals" of which only one has been affected by the BT outage.
If we had all of our customers on ADSL2+, we would have multiple MSILs and thus there would have been more resiliency, because they would all take different routing paths.
Unfortunately we don't have "another gateway" to move you onto.  The only option we would have would be to place an order to move you back to normal ADSL, which would take a week, by which time the BT problems would be fixed.
I know it's a pain for you right now and I'm sincerely very sorry for the problems that you've been having.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Entanet are posting some useful information about the situation: http://noc.enta.net/2009/04/outage-framestream-leased-lines/comment-page-1/#comment-15785
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jmd
Grafter

Thank you Jamesh for your kindness and jelv for the information.  And so far the connection is still there although still exceedlingly slow [worse than dial up!]
jmd
Grafter

Apparently problem not due to situation in Ilford but
"BT have just come back to us on the problems you will have been experiencing on the 21cn trial that you are currently using.
They have advised that the dropping connection/packet loss problems you have been experiencing was due to a problem on a faulty card on a core router in Sheffield which has now been corrected
link:csa removed"
so hopefully sorted.....................
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) CSA name removed as per Forum Rules]