cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed crippled again!

gardencoaster
Grafter

Connection speed crippled again!

For the SIXTH time in a relatively short membership period, the usual 4.7 to 5 Meg connection is down to 236kbps.
Configured download throughput is 5550 kbps.
None of the online tools, beyond the 'mybroadbandspeed' checker work so I can't trigger any automatic fix (if that is what happens??  A human has never contacted me in response to previous tickets...)
I can't even raise a ticket for support this time because of a 'temporary fault' that seems less than temporary! (Want me to spend some money on a phone call perhaps??)
I am only grateful that I have recommended just one friend and he hasn't suffered the continual collapse of service that I have.
I am now seriously disenchanted (if you hadn't worked that out) and shall be exploring an upgrade of wireless connection that I already enjoy, fault-free, with a non-BT entity.
Personally I am convinced that a problem exists at the local BT exchange but all they want to do is come inside the front door (and charge me big bucks for the privilege, no doubt).
Most of this sort of problem is caused by faulty internal wiring?  Well, if that is the case, why does one usually have up to two months of fault-free use before it falls over on a Monday or Tuesday lunchtime?!
Seriously unimpressed, people.
Off to plug in my wireless dongle...
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connection speed crippled again!

Can you post the stats from your router
attenuation
speed
noise margin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

also what package are you on and how much have you used this month (VMBU)
scootie
Grafter

None of the online tools, beyond the 'mybroadbandspeed' checker work so I can't trigger any automatic fix

pierre from what i read i dont think the OP can acesses there vmbu only the speedtester
gardencoaster
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you post the stats from your router
attenuation
speed
noise margin

Port  Status          TxPkts  RxPkts  Collisions  Tx B/s  Rx B/s  Up Time
WAN PPPoA         2001 2456   0                 1717 4951 00:08:17
LAN 10M/100M 36932 30525   0                 1751 490 05:33:44
WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
ADSL Link             Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6176 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation       20.0 db         9.0 db
Noise Margin       14.4 db         22.0 db
gardencoaster
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
also what package are you on and how much have you used this month (VMBU)

6.75GB of 30GB used (including 800+MB free)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmm, those stats suggest you've got/had some noise on the line or disconnects that's caused your Target SNRM to go up possibly to 15dB. The other possibility is that something may have been plugged in that isn't filtered - eg. a Sky box, do you have one? or a filter playing up or worse - your modem/router.
Can you advise whether you have fixed extension wiring and sockets, whether the bell wire is still connected, how many sockets and an outline description of your wiring?
Could you confirm you have a Master Linebox similar to the attached picture and say which logo it's got?
gardencoaster
Grafter

The only other device plugged in is a BT DECT phone and that is filtered with a branded BT filter off an internally wired extension socket (i.e. wires within walls).
Router is only a few months old - I bought a new one after the onset of this problem having wrongly diagnosed the problem as a misbehaving router...
Don't think the filters are the problem - if a filter is playing up, why would it do so only once every six weeks to two months and then only on Mondays/Tuesdays?
Don't have a Master Linebox as illustrated and haven't messed with the wiring so guess the bell wire is still in situ.
Symptoms:  Phone rang 1235 Tuesday - when answered, only a squealing tone audible.  Thereafter no dial tone at all and broadband down to 131 kbps.
Switched off router.  Still no dial tone - line completely dead.  As is usually the case, dial tone restored after phoning in on a mobile.
Reconnected router - 5 Megs connection that lasted into the night until I powered down the system.
On powering up this morning, broadband connection FUBAR - 260kbps at best (I better that 5x with the dongle!).
Bearing in mind the frequency of engineer visits to the cabinet at the end of the road and the recent Virtual Paths problem at the exchange, my money remains on this
being a remote and not local fault and thus something only BT can solve at PlusNet's bidding.  The fact it happens at the same time of the week is highly suspicious.
(By the way, when this first happened, BT came out and checked the line between cabinet and house with no fault allegedly found; the fault then "magically" rectified itself!)
adie:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is the phone with PN or BT, the person that you pay the line rental to will have to sort out the problem, seems more like a 'dry' joint that is cured when you make an incoming call and it is not a broadband fault
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes, as pierre has already said if you had no dial tone you need to report it to whoever you pay your line rental to.
Advise how many times recently you've lost dial tone, if you can hear crackling on the line, ring and report it when that is occurring, get the Adviser to confirm they can hear it and log it and log it as intermittent. Don't use any automated testing or Ringback tests (ringing can clear bad joints temporarily) speak straight to an adviser. Ask them to ensure ALL that information is passed to the Openreach engineer. DONT mention the broadband as you might get given the run around. This needs to be sorted as a phone line fault. Once your line is fixed, your BB will sort itself out.
Edit:
As is usually the case, dial tone restored after phoning in on a mobile.
As I said ringing can clear a dry joint temporarily. Sounds like you had this problem before.
gardencoaster
Grafter

Reported the possible line fault to BT last night - no feedback received but BB back to 4.4 Megs this morning.
Thanks to all who have chipped in with their thoughts - a much better experience on the forum than
navigating the robots!  Wink