cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion

Dali
Dabbler

Confusion

Hey all, I raised a question on my account but I've been browsing these forums and seen a lot of helpful staff taking ownership of issues and resolving them efficiently so here goes...
I'm in limbo, I signed up with another ISP and my speeds were truly atrocious so I placed an order with PN and complained to my other provider about being unable to provide a service, even went to ISPA but my speeds picked up and I thought I'd save myself the hassle of migrating so touched wood and cancelled PN (after 3 days of my original order)
With me so far?...Ok
OK here's where it gets tricky, Plusnet went ahead and activated my line regardless. Customer service, especially a nice chap called Kevin (credit where it's due) assured me it was an error on Plusnets part, apologised, gave me a mac and assured me I could leave without billing which is great and a lesson to other iSP's in customer service. Thing is, my original provider has offered me 3 months free as a response to my complaint and now i'm torn.
My speeds with plusnet even in the infancy of the training period are better than I was getting elsewhere so my question is and I'm sorry for the essay - If I want to stay what do I need to do? and how long have I got to decide?
It's even more complicated than that believe me, I couldn't get online for days with my account because it had been deleted even though my line had been activated.
I appreciate it's an an unusual case but if someone could look into it I'd be really grateful.
Ta Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Confusion

Could say its a funny welcome,
the Comms people will be around tomorrow, they dont usually work week ends.  do they have your phone number?, they have been know to phone you in cases like this, I suppose they must have if you were temporarily connected
Dali
Dabbler

Cheers Pierre, I reckon they must but I'm semi-panicked incase my connection ceases before I get the full facts.
I can wait though, much obliged
B
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If you decide to stay with us all you need to do is let us know, and not use your MAC obviously. Wink
We don't cancel your service or account until we receive notification that you've actually moved away.
We've got a ticket on hold to ensure you're not billed, and to monitor your migration away so we'd just need to cancel that.
Dali
Dabbler

Thanks Mand  Smiley
Dali
Dabbler

I'm reasonably happy with the service so far and would like to stay with plusnet, could a staff member please email me regarding my first billing date if possible and subsequent direct debit dates. I'd appreciate it.
Cheers
Mand
Grafter

Glad to hear it. Smiley
Email sent.
Dali
Dabbler

Cheers guys, I am loving my post tiscali, o2 proper broadband and your help is much appreciated and considering the people who are having big problems I don't want to sound like I'm gloating I just want to know if everything looks good with these stats.
I've never used a router before and I'm a bit green so if someone gets the time could they tell me if my profile is ok or if there is anything I need to change. Just for peace of mind. I've had a few drop outs but it may be my wireless (again new to me)

Connection Speed 11154 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 30.5 db 13.0 db
Noise Margin 15.40 db 33.5 db

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8869 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :11153 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.92:27.95:62.13 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

Happy new year all Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sounds like you have a good ADSL2+ connection
Dali
Dabbler

Cheers Pierre, I've got my head round most of the stats but I'm unsure of these two
Line Attenuation    30.5 db    13.0 db
Noise Margin    15.40 db    33.5 db
You don't need to explain in full, I just don't know if those figures are healthy. I'm delighted with things so far I'm just trying to make sure I don't have any problems coming my way.
Sorry again if I'm being a pain. My connection in general has been top class, I had been told by previous ISP's my line couldn't hit those speeds and had all but given up. I suppose I'm having a too good to be true moment.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The attenuation isn't bad at all, however your SNR is higher than I'd expect. Sorry if I've missed this earlier in the thread, but are you plugged into the master socket and is every other telephony device filtered?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dali
Dabbler

Cheers Chris, the answer is yes to both questions. Might the fact that the router is a few meters from my cordless phone base unit be a factor I wonder? If it is then I'll have to grin and barit as there is nowhere else for it to go.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post two sets of the router stats - one with the cordless phone base plugged in as normal and one with it unplugged and switched off (give it just a couple of minutes to settle).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you can give us the results Jelv suggests that'll allow us to see if the cordless phone is causing any issues for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dali
Dabbler

Here you go guys....

Connection Speed 14403 kbps 444 kbps
Noise Margin 12.10 db 33.0 db (phone unplugged)
Connection Speed 14403 kbps 444 kbps
Noise Margin 12.30 db 33.5 db (phone plugged in again)
Not much difference there huh?
Also there was once an extension cable upstairs but it has been cut and is no longer connected to the master so I'm assuming it can be ruled out too.