cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete and Utter Tossnet

foxtrck
Grafter

Complete and Utter Tossnet

I have been on plusnet for over 8 months now and its ok, but after moving home in the same city I was pleased that I could get my plusnet connection moved and set up a few days after i moved (they were even kind enough to offer a 50% discount for the month for the days disconnected). I tried to connect on the day it was supposed to turn on with the exact same hardware setup i had been using with no problem, PPPoE authentication failure, all usernames/password correct no changes, so i use the master socket, still doesnt work.
So i phoned CS to get a woman who didnt understand what a modem and seperate router was, kept putting me on hold, kept me waiting 10 minutes on the phone while she filled in some details VERY SLOWLY. Then said i could check the members area within 24 hours as a fault had been raised - great i said 'I HAVE NO INTERNET', very useful...
Anyway the fault has been passed from pillar to post from BT and back again and back to BT wholesale and back again, its been over 17 days now without a service and im still getting PPPoE authentication failures, tried numerous hardware, master sockets etc..
I now get a reply saying that a BT wholesale engineer should come and assess the fault and if its the cabling or socket they will charge me £144, and the only time they can come is mon-fri 9-6pm, so plusnet are you going to pay for my time off and possible BT charge???
I'm seriously thinking of just forking out the £80 to get out of this dreadful service and go to SKY, i guess you get what you pay for, but im getting nothing right now.  
13 REPLIES 13
itsme
Grafter

Re: Complete and utter Tossnet

I assuming that you have selected on modem the bridge mode and your router is doing the PPPoE.
If so have you changed your settings so you can access the internet and prove it's a PPPoE issue and not a fundamental issue with your connection?  Been ages since I've used separate  modem  router configuration but I believe you need to change the router to DHCP and the modem to do the logging on using PPPoA.
Believe there have been issue's using PPPoE when on WBC which you may have been placed on with your house move. This is a BT problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Have you tried using the normal setting of PPPoA? - just because the alternative of PPPoE worked at your previous house it may not now.
2. Have they had you try the test logins?
3. Some users who took part in trials had alternative login domains available. On moving house those are lost - it's worth double checking you are using the login as specified here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
foxtrck
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
1. Have you tried using the normal setting of PPPoA? - just because the alternative of PPPoE worked at your previous house it may not now.

2. Have they had you try the test logins?

3. Some users who took part in trials had alternative login domains available. On moving house those are lost - it's worth double checking you are using the login as specified here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser

1. I have to check but i have been using my linksys BEFSR41 and i cant remember just now if it actually has a PPPoA setting.
2. Yes
3. My pass and username has not changed i can still login to member centre with my @plus.net account
Quote from: itsme
I assuming that you have selected on modem the bridge mode and your router is doing the PPPoE.
If so have you changed your settings so you can access the internet and prove it's a PPPoE issue and not a fundamental issue with your connection?  Been ages since I've used separate  modem  router configuration but I believe you need to change the router to DHCP and the modem to do the logging on using PPPoA.
Believe there have been issue's using PPPoE when on WBC which you may have been placed on with your house move. This is a BT problem.

There is no web interface on the modem it is an old standard BT voyager 195 and has no settings to change. It must be on bridge though as i have always had MODEM -> ROUTER -> DEVICES and it is the LINKSYS BEFSR41 that is doing the PPPoE, but i have tried several routers. This setup was working perfectly in my qprevious address.
I do know that i am connected to a different exchange now as i have a different telephone number in same area code.
I have a DHCP server running on the router aswell, i need to check for PPPoA settings though ic ant remember if ive seen it. Im sure it was just PPPoE, obtain automatically, Heartbeat, and Static, and possibly PPP.

I have no idea how to read a Radius test but this was given to me in heklp, and they also said BT has run tests and found NO FAULT.
[internal]

Circuit Sync Status : Circuit In Sync 

Mux Port Status : In Service 

Upstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
32.5  20 0 0 75 448

Downstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
59  3 0 0 132 4704

DSL Max Data 

BIP Interface Data 
  Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
4000 2010-06-27T12:11:46 N 2010-06-25T07:49:29 2272

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
2272 A 1 A SERVICE OPTION CHANGE ORDER IS IN PROGRESS ON THIS LINE 2010-06-17T07:06:51

Radius Log  29/06/10 10:01
  Completed  Empty Results

foxtrck
Grafter

Just another bit of information: All lights on the modem are lit green, which indicates that there is some kind of access or connection there, it looks to me like it is trying to authenticate and just getting rejected, even with the correct user/passwords.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

3. My pass and username has not changed i can still login to member centre with my @plus.net account

Can you try changing the username your router connects with to end in @plusdsl.net instead of @plus.net?
If that doesn't work then I have another idea up my sleeve.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Thanks for your time on the phone, as we briefly discussed I believe the problem has occurred with the realm (part after the @ symbol) we ordered your line on after you moved house. Updating the username you connect on should allow you to get back online.
Just in case, I've also placed an order to allow your line to connect on @plusdsl.net and @plus.net which is due to complete tomorrow morning.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
foxtrck
Grafter

Thanks alot Chris, changing the username after @ to @plusdsl.net sorted the problem out first time. I don't know why i wasn't informed of this in the first place when I placed an order.
When i asked CS initially they confirmed my username was with @plus.net and this problem escalated from there. At least I am online now and thanks for the resolution, service is not so bad, but i think customer service and fault resolution could do with a bit of improvement, i've been offline for days and wasted alot of money on the phone with CS and not one person said to change username.
Thanks Chris!

Problem Resolved
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jelv
it's worth double checking you are using the login as specified here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser

Roll_eyes
Why it took so long for that to be identified I can't imagine! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
foxtrck
Grafter

Re: Problem [Resolved]

Well now i am online,i am still having problems now. My ip seems to be changing every 10 minutes, well what i can see right now from my reports coming in from my QNAP. So it look as if my connection is not stable and is getting dropped and reconnected every 10 minutes.

jim:quote
foxtrck
Grafter

Re: Complete and Utter Tossnet

Still not had any reply today about this issue
Chris
Legend

I've asked one of the team to pick up your thread shortly, he's just on the phone about a different issue and will then pick up your fault.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi foxtrck,
As per when I called, the account was on dynamic IP. I have added a static address for you (details will be e-mailed shortly) I've also done some account maintenance which I'm hoping will resolve the issue with drops that you've been seeing.
As promised I'll come back to you tomorrow to see how things are.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Complete and Utter plusnet

Hi foxtrck,
As per when we spoke I am glad to see that you have managed to resolve this yourself by removing the idle timeout setting on your router. Also I can see that your router is picking up the static IP address that I assigned yesterday afternoon.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team