cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing supplier, should I?

atbs1
Grafter

Changing supplier, should I?

I currently pay for 2 lines and 1 unlimited broadband package.  This afternoon a representative selling Southern Electric rang me and we had a long conversation about their products.  Yes there is an acceptable use policy, undefined as far as I can see,  The costs for the packages are very competitive to what I currently pay to Plusnet.  I understand that SE's provider is BT.
Pc1 I pay £17 - 20 per month an all call package with Plusnet, including line rental.  SE offer this for £18.48  - not a lot of difference between them
Pc2 I pay £52 - 54 per month, no call package, with Plusnet, including line rental and unlimited broadband. SE off this for 18.99.
Question : the costing on Pc2 is very good and in these time looks very attractive - I am tempted to transfer?
Question: has anyone else experience of Southern Electric as a provider please?
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changing supplier, should I?

Why two lines?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I can not believe £18-99 includes line rental
"broadband packages are only available to residential customers with a BT line for which a monthly line rental will be applied."
Dan
grudkin
Grafter

That's because it doesn't include line rental which is an additional £12.99 per month!  Wink
It should also be noted that the contract length for the broadband is 18 months!  Shocked
ºSubject to our acceptable use policyººInclusive talk calls are standard voice calls to local and national numbers, which are those numbers that begin with 01, 02 and 03. Inclusive talk calls last up to 70 minutes (the BT equivalent is 60 minutes). Redial before 70 minutes to avoid additional charges. Daytime calls mean 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday; Evening calls before 7am and after 7pm Monday to Friday; Weekend calls midnight Friday to midnight Sunday.
◊0845 & 0870 calls are free up to 70 minutes during the same inclusive periods as your call package. Excludes indirect access numbers and dial-up internet access. Fair use policy applies – maximum 1,000 minutes or 150 calls a month. If either of these limits are exceeded, we will charge for these calls at the equivalent rate for non-inclusive periods. Calls to personal numbers beginning 07 are excluded from call packages.
ΔWhen comparing talk monthly line rental prices and local and national calls with the BT equivalent. Based on published rates as at 03/12/11 and payment by Direct Debit.
**£10, £30 and £40 can be redeemed as part-payment against a future energy account. The credit will normally be shown against the electricity account. However we reserves the right to credit the customer’s gas account if it is considered appropriate. Offer not available to prepayment and token meter customers. .
SE seem very vague about the broadband acceptable use policy! I can't find it anywhere on their site.
Edit Just found it!
2. FAIR USE
2.1. Usage of the Service beyond levels which we regard to be reasonable for a residential broadband product
will slow down our service and affect the network for all our customers.
2.2. This service is unlimited based on a legitimate user who uses the service in accordance with our terms and
conditions i.e. not for business use or for illegal purposes.
2.3. Where illegitimate use of our broadband product is suspected, we may contact you to discuss the matter
and may suspend or terminate the service if illegitimate use continues.
Still seems very vague to me!
atbs1
Grafter

@ jelv: we have 2 lines because we have fax/broadband on line 2 and voice/fax on line 1.  Fax isn't often used on line 1 though.  So, therefore I'd have a cost of approx 31.47 on line 2 and 12.99 on line 1. Still looks good to me.  Thanks everyone for the additional information above.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I used to have two lines before we moved. Since moving we've only got one line we've gone to one only and I use PN's VoIP for the second number. For any extra £4.99 I get unlimited landlane calls - any chargeable calls such as mobiles I use the included calls package on my mobile phone so I've never had to top up the PN Broadband phone. Is that something you could take advantage of?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: SGTE
@ jelv: we have 2 lines because we have fax/broadband on line 2 and voice/fax on line 1.  Fax isn't often used on line 1 though.  So, therefore I'd have a cost of approx 31.47 on line 2 and 12.99 on line 1. Still looks good to me.  Thanks everyone for the additional information above.

I have experience of SE for gas/electric.  Currently trying to attempt to get them to;
+ Understand we have switched supplier.
+ Accept we have settled what we owe.
+ Stop bl00dy ringing our ex-directory phone at 8PM every Thursday.
With regard to your comms needs.  I would suggest.
+ Stick with the PN business package.
+ Cancel one of your physical lines.
+ Change to a SIP VOIP service which offers fax to e-mail.
I know a very good SIP service provider by the way. 
Not the cheapest but technically knowledgable and attentive to their small business customers needs.
You would need to invest in SIP phones or a suitable router (not both) but the hardware will pay for itself within 1 to 2 years, due to reduction in line rental and call minute charges.