Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade to ADSL2+

mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Can I upgrade to ADSL2+

Hi,
I'm confused! I thought I was on a line as fast as I could get. My exchange is Markyate and I'm on an up to 8Meg line. I get a download speed of 7.1Meg. A friend of mine has told me that Markyate is adsl2+ enabled (Is this 21CN?) and that I should be able to get up to 24Meg with a download speed of 17Meg.
Can someone tell me how I do this please?
Thanks
-Mat
I've just looked on the bt checker site and see this:
BT Wholesale
THE BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
For Telephone Number <snip> on Exchange MARKYATE
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
jim:green phone number removed mod:end
42 REPLIES 42
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can I upgrade to ADSL2+

Hi there,
Yes, your exchange has definitely been upgraded. We usually rely on automated bulk upgrades in these circumstances but I've placed an order manually for you which should complete on the 18th.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mlavende
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
thanks for the quick reply.
Does this mean that on the 18th my speed will suddenly increase or do I need to do something?
I think my modem is adsl2+ compliant so that should be ok.
I assume the cost is the same.
Thanks again
-Mat
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Smiley
The speeds should increase automatically in the early hours of the 18th. Just reboot your router if they don't.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Bulk work is normally done between midnight and 6:00 manual orders are probably done on a normal day shift.
mlavende
Rising Star

Thanks Guys,
can't believe I didn't know about this earlier!
Roll on the 18th
-Mat
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

manual orders are probably done on a normal day shift.

Nope, they're placed manually but the majority of the work to close the order is automated and exactly the same as an automatically placed order.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mlavende
Rising Star

Hi,
just wondered as tonight's the night of my upgrade to adsl2+, do I need to do anything? I'm often downloading stuff in the wee small hours? Should I not do that tonight?
Thanks
-Mat
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your broadband will disconnect for a few minutes when the switch takes place, so depends whether that is likely to upset your download activities.
In my case the switch physically took place in the middle of the afternoon. My router (TG585v8) re-synced and reconnected automatically (on ADSL2+) when the change was complete.
So your choice, I guess. Huh
David
David
mlavende
Rising Star

well I've just got up and checked my internet speed and nothing has changed  Embarrassed
I've reset the router and nothing is different
I've checked my profile on the PN Member Centre and it still says:
Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-01-11 14:17:49
Current line speed:
    7.15 Mb
So I assume the change hasn't happened.
What now please?
For what it's worth, a friend of mine who did this upgrade with another ISP had emails from BT confirming the change had started and another when it ended. I haven't had any of those.
Bit disappointed  Undecided
-Mat
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Changes to the PN profile will be the last thing that happens, so the first thing to do is run a BT speedtest (not the Beta version.)
This will obviously tell you your current connection rate, throughput speed, and BT profile, but will also tell you at a glance whether you have been switched because on 20CN you only get a download test, on 21CN you get both up and down tests.
mlavende
Rising Star

OK, thanks for that. I tried the site and got an error:

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
So perhaps something is underway.
I'll try again later
Thanks for your suggestions
-Mat
mlavende
Rising Star

So I ran it again and this time it succeeded. I've attached the results but think they just show me on normal adsl don't they?
Thanks
-Mat
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Yup!  Sad
I'm sure someone from the Digital Care team will pick this up for you.
mlavende
Rising Star

Hope so. I was very excited (sad but true) and now I'm dejected  Undecided