Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Move To Another Cabinet?

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Can I Move To Another Cabinet?

Having moved to FTTC a few months ago my internet speeds are, at best, disappointing.

The reason is simply that the cabinet I am connected to is half a mile away considerably degrading the signal.

Standing outside my house I can see another cabinet no further away than 100 yds. I am sure this would give rather better performance than I get currently. As there is no liklihood of FTTP in the foreseeable future, is it possible to request (even to pay for!) a move to a cabinet with faster speeds.

I do have the alternative of Virgin but I have no axe to gring with Plusnet/BT who provide a service that I am otherwise happy with.

13 REPLIES 13
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Can I Move To Another Cabinet?

Hi @TeeGee, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the speeds you're receiving currently. I'm afraid we have no ability to request your line be rerouted and in most cases the cabinet you're connected to will be the closest to the property. This being due to the way the network can be routed and it isn't always as straight forwards as getting a line from your property to the nearest cabinet.
It's our suppliers who determine the routeing of your line and connection and if you only set up FTTC a few months ago then I'd think this being adjusted moving forwards would be very unlikely.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@BDB

Ben, I fully appreciate it is not a PN issue but is there anyone I can write to to try to clarify the situation?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@TeeGee  Not really any way to get routed via another cabinet unless neighbouring properties have been moved to it in what is known as a live to live migration and you have been missed out. Do your immediate neighbours have better speeds?  If that is the case you could try complaining to the Openreach CEO, I won't give the e-mail address here but it isn't difficult to find.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Before doing that though, have you checked what type of cabinet it is?

Is it even an Openreach one, and is it a FTTC one?

Have you used the BTW DSL checker to see if speeds are different using the address check - it may mean a new line is needed.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum wrote:

Have you used the BTW DSL checker to see if speeds are different using the address check - it may mean a new line is needed.

I have used the DSL Checker and it seems to be a basic FTTC cabinet with slow speeds 15 to 25Mbs but I can only get 18Mbs. The OR team have been very helpul checking everything and putting the latest wall box in my study.

Additional info:

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

FTTP is not available.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

OK, so that is the one you are connected to. But you said there was another closer to you. But it seems you don't even know what type of cabinet it is, just that it green.

If you were to use the address bit of the DSL checker, if it was an FTTC cabinet it would show higher speeds. 

Sounds to me it is a Virgin box!

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

The checker shows the speeds that I can expect based on my distance from it. 

If I put in the address of a property nearer this cabinet it show a speed up to 30Mbs with same cabinet number but of course it is nearer to the cabinet that we are both apprently connected to.

The connections are described as VDSL.

Either way I have a connectin that I am not particularly happy with. I doubt that the WLR companies can do any better but at least they would be cheaper!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @TeeGee If you've not already, it may be worth filling out the formwize here > https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-broadband-availability-customer to query this with Openreach's fibre enquiries team, providing as much detail as possible. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@TeeGee 

If you post a picture of the cabinet that's nearer to you I'm sure somebody here would be able to identify it.

If you take a picture have a good look for any markings on it which might help identify it.

Brian

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Been away for a few days but back on the case! Will inspect cabinet shortly,

@Gandalf  Thanks for contact info. Will follow that up too. We pensioners have plenty of time on our hands for these things!

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

20210812_194426.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Looks like a Virgin Media box to me.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

That seems to put the matter in perspective. I shall now go on a search for other BT boxes.

Apologies for photo on its side! It was taken and posted vertically but however hard I tried I could not get Windows 10 to position it vertically in the final message box.