cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID

madroxonline

Caller ID

Most phones have caller ID and the other major providers offer free caller ID service. Why does Plusnet make us pay for this? Get up to date and give us this perk so that I can screen these persistent nuisance calls that BTW only started when I changed over to Plusnet. I used to get 1 PPI call a day now its 3 PPI calls plus at least 1 accident / lawyer call a week. If solely profit your after how about some sort of service where we give you the number of the nuisance caller and you block it forever? I would pay you a one off 99p for that service. Or maybe you can trace the provider from the number and I can complain to the provider? And they can do something about it?
14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Caller ID

the other providers probably hide the cost in other areas.. BT is more expensive for their line rental and call packages for example. 
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Note that PlusNET do not run the phone service, they merely charge you for it.  Thereby they do not have the means to undertake the tasks (call tracing) as you suggest.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
BT is more expensive for their line rental and call packages for example. 

BT also charge for Caller Display unless you recontract for 12 months
peter10
Grafter

I have been looking around at other ISPs and SSE charge £3-25 and if I remember correctly Fuel charge £2-50 for caller display.  The ones with  "free" caller display were often more expensive in other ways such as line rental or call plan charges. As Dvorak says you will pay for it in some way. Some charge for calling 0845 and 0870 numbers in their anytime package so often quite difficult comparing like with like. I get quite a few unwanted calls despite being on TPS. I've noticed a few look like UK numbers but are 1 digit short and I assume originate from abroad.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

This has been ASKED for MANY MANY times. They refuse to maker CID free.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have a look at these BT 8500 cordless phones, their call blocking features have stopped these nuisance calls for me.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Handset/dp/B00LZTHUEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

But isn't the issue that such handsets require caller display to be active on the line?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

yup
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even then they don't actually 'block' it simply silences the ring but the call can still get to the Answering Machine as I experience on my BT6500; which I bought based on the word 'block' in the sales blurb.
Called BT to 'complain' using the support line they give you and the response amounted to a 'meh!'. To be fair I was offered a refund but having unpacked 5 handsets I couldn't be bothered. But even with that said the 6500 is a good phone for me.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Another problem now, seems to be that more and more of these callers give the message "the caller has not left a number to return the call" or similar ...if you block these "numbers" then people like hospitals/Drs surgeries/other public bodies can't get thru.
BadMelonFarmer
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
Even then they don't actually 'block' it simply silences the ring but the call can still get to the Answering Machine as I experience on my BT6500; which I bought based on the word 'block' in the sales blurb.
Called BT to 'complain' using the support line they give you and the response amounted to a 'meh!'. To be fair I was offered a refund but having unpacked 5 handsets I couldn't be bothered. But even with that said the 6500 is a good phone for me.

yes the 6500 acts like you say ... so although he calls do not get through, you still have to remove all the junk off the answer machine.
the 8500 works slightly differently and unless you have the number in your address book or unblock ... it will force the person calling to say who is calling ...it then rings you and says "Person X" is calling...then you select 1 to connect call and unblock them, so they will come straight through next time ... or another number to decline and block.
so it is a little bit of a pain for the caller the first time, after that no issue.
We have one friend of the family who insists on "Withholding" their number ...so they have to put up with it.
Stopped all unwanted calls for us... MUCH better than the 6500
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds good, bit of a PITA but worth the effort I guess, shame it wasn't around when I got my 6500. I wonder if it was 'developed' after all the complaints they got about the 6500 not actually blocking calls. Well I know what to get next time.
BadMelonFarmer
Dabbler

I guess they did as, like you I was very disappointed as it just moved the problem to the answer phone rather than the phone ringing. Yes a bit of a PITA for people the first time they call, BUT no calls since and it has been over 6 months since I swapped. I was getting about 2 calls a day, so worth it as far as I am concerned.
I tend to use my mobile for important things so they can always get trough.
adie:quote
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

With my BT 8500 set-up, only international and withheld numbers have to say who's calling and then they have to press the # key. I find this is all I need to stop nuisance calls.
Most nuisance calls are auto dialler / recorded messages and are unable to do the above so just get cut off, the phone doesn't ring and no message left on the answer phone.
Calls from all other sources ring straight through, although calls from mobiles, public phones, or any preconfigured area code can be assigned to the above call monitoring system if desired.
IIRC there's also the option to block individual numbers, area codes etc.
And yes, you do need caller ID.