cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband & phone dropouts

briagil
Hooked

Broadband & phone dropouts

For over a week now both broadband & phone line dropping out. Tried everything, Changed micro-filters, checked all network cables, rebooted router. Neither my phone or internet connection would last long enough for me to contact plusnet help or online chat because both have long waiting times. Plusnet phone help wait a minimum of 30 minutes and online chat 5 to 10 minutes, I eventually managed to get a contact to online chat today but even then broadband kept dropping out whilst connected & had to keep trying to reconnect when I had internet access. The person I spoke with online chat said he would try to check my access even after the internet had dropped out again He now suggests via email that I raise a fault & he provided a link but when I have internet connection & click the link it does not work I have posted asking how I raise a fault because I cannot see any way to do it although it would appear I have an open question concerning my problem. Not sure this is a "raised fault" However I know from previous experience these questions are very very slow to be answered. The last one I did took over a week to get any real response. My broadband is now slightly better I can get about 20 minutes if lucky before it drops out but I have not got any phone connection. when I pick up my phone no dial tone whatsoever & if I key in a telephone number all I get is silence. Needless to say I am leaving Plusnet ASAP. Sorry to go on a bit but I am as you can imagine about ready to go mad. Anybody got any useful suggestions apart from leaving Plusnet as I intend to do.

15 REPLIES 15
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broadband & phone dropouts

Hi there the quickest way to raise a fault is at:

faults.plus.net if you already have a fault open you will be told about it when you visit this page

Hope this helps,

James

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Well if you plan on leaving theres not much info anyone can offer you as you have made your mind up to leave. But i would give plusnet the chance to look into the issues before leaving, maybe one of the nice forum staff will pick up on this tomorrow Wink 

briagil
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the advice unfortunately I cannot do that because I now do not have any phone line at all and although my internet connection shows that it is connected on my router every time I try to use the internet it drops out. I therefore can't report a fault because doing so relies on online testing. The only thing I can do now is to drive to my son's house to try to use his phone & internet. Needless to say the sooner I leave Plusnet the better.

briagil

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

As I started to write this I did wonder if you would have enough internet connectivity to see it but.......

Whatever is causing your phone to drop out may well also to be killing your broadband. Can you not report the phone fault from a mobile, or using your son's phone? Once you have your own phone back you can start in on the broadband fault, if it is still there.

PlusNet use the BT network so you are likely to have the same problem with another ISP, unless you go with Virgin.

briagil
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestion BrightonRock. The same thoughts occurred to me. Unfortunately I live in a poor mobile signal area. I was on my mobile to plusnet when they conducting tests but my mobile lost its signal and they did not try to ring me back. i have given them my mobile for contact but they do not seem interested in trying to contact me. I have spent hours & hours over the last couple of days & it is really head busting. I think there is a problem reporting a phone line fault to BT because as I understand it until Plusnet tells me it is nothing their end and it is a BT phone line fault I cannot contact BT faults because they will say you have to contact Plusnet first for them to run all their tests. I may be wrong but I know the last time I had problems that was BT's response. During the time I was able to speak with Plusnet on the phone they have at least agreed for me to end my contract with no penalty. Now whether or not I can leave them until this problem is sorted remains to be seen.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

If you pay line rental to PlusNet then the phone fault needs to be reported to them, not BT. If the phone is with BT (and the broadband with PlusNet) then you could go directly to BT with the phone fault.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

As @BrightonRock says just report a phone fault to whoever you pay phone line rental to. Don't mention any issues with broadband.

Once the phone is fixed, you can see if that sorts out the broadband issues. And if not report a broadband fault to Plusnet. And you can report a broadband fault without working broadband by phoning Plusnet and telling them that your broadband is down and they need to start the fault process for you.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
briagil
Hooked

Thanks Grafter. Pretty much what I thought I am in a catch 22 situation. Plusnet don't seem interested unless I am in contact with them which I can't do without either a phone line or broadband. I am just hoping that amongst the many people in plusnet I have been able to speak to or contact online for a few minutes before my drop outs will take an interest and do something. Although they know my phone & broadband keeps dropping out it appears they just think "it is not their problem to resolve anymore when it drops out it will be up to the next person who I manage to contact"

briagil
Hooked

Hi all

Just to clarify both my phone line and broadband is with plusnet so I am stuffed.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Let's try to appeal to the 2 Plusnet Staffers logged in by mentioning them is this thread. Hopefully they will help @Anoush @MattyC could one of you help @briagil please?

briagil
Hooked

Hi Spendless Time

Thanks for your attempt to summon help for me. I hope it proves successful. If Plusnet was as helpful as you perhaps my problem would be solved by now. The other big problem with Plusnet is their lack of feedback. It just might be one of them is trying to do something but they never tell or give you any feedback The same problem I had in May when things went bad.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for getting in touch with me

Having tested your line I have detected the following fault.

FAULT - Dis In Network

I've raised this to Openreach now; their response time being by 01/09/16 23:59:59. I apologise for the length of time it could take for our suppliers to assign an engineer to your fault, however this is only an estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date.

Our faults team will monitor your fault ticket and will provide an update within 72 hours of this response time.

Thanks for your patience.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
briagil
Hooked

Hi everyone 

Just to let you know I have at last received a text from plusnet. It is a phone line fault which they have referred to Openreach. The response time is by midnight 1/9/16. I am keeping my fingers crossed it is sooner than later. Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions and help. it may well have been without you plusnet would not have let me know what is happening. I am going off now to have a good drink & try to calm down. This has been maddening. Once again thanks all.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Good to know.