cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Firewall

hillyfields123
Grafter

Broadband Firewall

First off I just wanna say how brilliant PN have been with customer support and the expertise all the CSRs seem to have!
Anyways, to the feedback. After looking at the broadband firewall settings I noticed that there's no option to choose the ports that you allow through (For example port 22 for SSH) along with having the protection the firewall provides. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Broadband Firewall

Hi Hillyfields,
Have a read of this - http://portal.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/broadbandfirewall.shtml
Low ought to do what you need,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hillyfields123
Grafter

Hi Townman, thanks for your reply.
I can't see anything on that page about allowing any ports through except 80, 443 and 25. I'm actually looking to turn up my firewall to "High" but need access to SSH, HTTP(S) and other miscellaneous ports.
Unless I'm missing something I can't see anything about blocking all incoming traffic and then allowing certain ports through.
Thanks,
hillyfields123
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hilly fields,
You are correct, the PlusNET fire wall is quite simplistic addressing the needs / protection of the majority non-savvy users.  You cannot select specific ports; rather you select the profile which best suits you.  I believe that low leaves port 22 open.
You will if course need to setup a rule to forward port 22 on your router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hillyfields123
Grafter

Townman,
Ahhh that sucks.. I was hoping to be able to leave the broadband firewall on "High" but it looks like, as you suggested, that I'll have to downgrade it to "Low".
Perhaps this could be an option that could be added? Seeing as Plusnet tend to be better for the so-called 'savvy' user (With their support of static IPs and the like)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: hillyfields123
Seeing as Plusnet tend used to be better for the so-called 'savvy' user (With their support of static IPs and the like)
Slight correction I am afraid
The supplied TG582n router is a mass market cheapo unit designed to suit the technically challenged user and the new one is even more so.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Good job that mine hasn't even been unpacked then!
hillyfields123
Grafter

Is there any chance of this being proposed as an additional option though?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is lots of chance of it being proposed, but a slim chance of it happening.
PlusNet has a massive essential engineering programme in progress, I would not expect this nice to have functionality (which would more than likely increase support work load) see the light of day in the near future.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Oldjim
The supplied TG582n router is a mass market cheapo unit designed to suit the technically challenged user ........

Ha, that is debatable. According to some posts even technically challenged users can't manage it!
hillyfields123
Grafter

Don't you ever feel sorry for the poor old thing though - Moaned at by both the technically competent and technically incompetent!