cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Ports

Boz
Rising Star

Blocking Ports

I had a couple of emails today about Plusnet blocking ports for incoming traffic, but no indication of what time the maintenance was going to be carried out.    Any chance of supplying a time?
Boz
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Blocking Ports

There's no general maintenance being carried out to block ports so I'm wondering if it's because PN have detected that your router has been hacked.
Could you post the full email please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Boz,
The work is due to be carried out following you receiving this notification email. It's a change that shouldn't impact your service in any way. If you do notice a change in your service then do let us know. It's account specific so this has been carried out on an account by account basis. I'm sorry if this has caused any confusion or inconvenience.
Laser
Grafter

I also received an email of this type. The phrasing of it made no suggestion that it was account-specific, or that the mention of compromised routers was not a general statement. (My router had indeed been compromised.) In fact I took it to be a simple enhancement of the PlusNet firewall settings.
If it was in fact a result of the compromised router, a bit more of a direct statement to that effect would have been nice...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If it were the result of a compromised router, then
- it will be of limited (no) benefit until the device(s) is/are "cleaned"
- a clear statement of compromise should have been given
On receiving the e-mail, after checking DNS settings in all devices (I use a local DNS which forwards to opendns and plusnet, but DHCP is in the router), I ran "shields-up" from the Gibson research site, which gave a "good" result (I have now disabled the ping response that was to test TBB graphing - I have a dynamic address, not static) and all tested ports do not respond.
I did lose service yesterday evening and it was necessary to power off the modem/router to reconnect - sync was fine, but it was not possible to connect to plusnet.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
stephenw

It appears that port blocking has occurred on my connection, however I have not received any notification regarding it.
The "Broadband Firewall" under Connection Settings in the member centre had been set to high. I don't know what it was before but I know that I did not change it.
picbits
Rising Star

What router do you have ?
A lot of D-Link / TP-Link / Edimax routers seem to have been compromised/hacked and Plusnet have been restricting access to certain ports when this has been detected.
stephenw

I have a TG582n
dick:quote
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
There's no general maintenance being carried out to block ports so I'm wondering if it's because PN have detected that your router has been hacked.
Could you post the full email please.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.   Here is the text of the email :-
"In order to us to maintain a high level of service, and protect our network against potential attacks, we need to make a change which affects your account.
This change is related to the broadband firewall which all of our customer accounts have access to.
We'll be making a change to block incoming traffic on ports 53, 111, 135, 137, 138, 139, 445, 515, 1080, 1433, 3128, 3306, 6000.
In most cases these ports will already be blocked by your local firewall however in the event of a compromised router, the ports may be unblocked or used in a potential attack.
It is unlikely you will need these inbound ports open, if you do you please visit http://contactus.plus.net and let us know by responding to this support ticket.
There's nothing you need to do, and your connection should continue to work as normal apart from a brief disconnection whilst we make these changes. In the vast majority of cases your router will automatically reconnect. If you experience problems getting reconnected following this maintenance please try a single reboot of your router."

How would I ever know whether or not I need these ports?

Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: stephenw
It appears that port blocking has occurred on my connection, however I have not received any notification regarding it.
The "Broadband Firewall" under Connection Settings in the member centre had been set to high. I don't know what it was before but I know that I did not change it.

My setting is set to Low.    Should this be changed?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Boz,
It might be worth taking read of this this post.
Setting to low you'll probably not notice a difference anyway to your connection, it's more of a precaution.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
It might be worth taking read of this this post.

Thanks for the link, Chris.
If I set up the preferred and alternate DNS addresses, as you've suggested, will this solve the problem that PlusNet has encountered ?