Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing notices

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Billing notices

Every month a notice is sent out stating your next subscription for your BB is due on such a date. There is no mention of the amount due and if you also have home phone no mention of that is made either. Surely that cannot be right, if a varying amount is to be deducted from your account you should be told in advance how much it is so you can dispute it if necessary. I have to say the billing system at PlusNet leaves a lot to be desired and is one thing that letss it down badly.
108 REPLIES 108
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Billing notices

Are you paying by Direct Debit or some other method?
my 'Advanced notice of your direct debit payment' emails from plusnet include the amount, the date and the DD ref number. These I receive 5 days before the payment date (although I think when the email arrives the payment request to the bank has already been sent by PN so you can't actually change it if the amount is in dispute).
Don't have any other services from PN so don't know if that changes anything regarding notices for payment.
glloyd
Rising Star

I pay my account by credit card but I have also started paying my son's account by DD. It does not seem right that you cannot dispute a DD payment (or a credit card payment for that matter) before it is taken. It could put somone in a very dodgy situation if a very large amount is requested by mistake.
nadger
Rising Star

The short DD notice period has been debated numerous times but has never been lengthened  Sad
Plusnet are, however,  within their rights to only give a couple of days notice as opposed to the 14 days that most of us receive from other suppliers.
It has been pointed out, to Plusnet, that the current system could cause problems for a great many customers on a tight budget.
glloyd
Rising Star

The DD rules say ten working days. I've not seen anything where customers have agreed otherwise.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.
If there are any change to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: glloyd
The DD rules say ten working days. I've not seen anything where customers have agreed otherwise.

Here is where you agreed
    * This guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or Building Society.
    * If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change PlusNet plc will notify you 3 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
    * If an error is made by PlusNet plc or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
    * You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

but PN will not issue the refund until they have received the money, then they take an over long time, it can be nearly two weeks after they snatched it, several people have indeed charged PN with there out of pocket and bank charges.  The next time they do it to me (had a bad spell last year), they will be getting a bill from me
magnetism2772
Grafter

three days advanced warning is not enough time
if you have an auto withdrawal coming out of your account then it usually takes 24-48 hours to cancel it ,before it comes out of your account.
the reason is that the  banks too need a day or two warning  of  a DD cancellation so that it totally registers and processes through the system.
they could even say three days are needed.
Plusnet are making it hard for customers to cancel direct debits
the bottom line is
plusnet must give you enough warning in advance that the/ a  DD can be canceled
magnetism2772
Grafter

If the bank wants the Direct Debit cancellation in writing then  3 days ,if you include the time the bank needs for any processing
then 3 days would not be enough
First thing to do is if  this problem occurs  consult the CAB - citizens advice -
magnetism2772
Grafter

then look to a new phone supplier
magnetism2772
Grafter

Dont let corporations mistreat you, bribe you,  or blackmail you.
If you have problem  with them , complete a small claims form and send it into your county court
have at least one day in court ,  its cheaper
glloyd
Rising Star

I don't remember seeing that when I filled in my bank details. Three days is just plain daft, what happens if you are on holiday? It also says immediate refunds but people are saying they have to wait two weeks. I must to admit to hating DD after BT took £850 by mistake which I only discovered whilst on holiday and tried to draw out some spending money. Apart from mucking up our holiday it took weeks to get the money back.
Quote from: nadger
[Here is where you agreed
    * This guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or Building Society.
    * If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change PlusNet plc will notify you 3 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
    * If an error is made by PlusNet plc or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
    * You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.

gswindale
Grafter

I think one of the problems relates to
If an error is made by PlusNet plc or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

Most of the problems with incorrect billings relates to the fact that everybody contacts PN to obtain the refund.  This is incorrect - you should contact your bank who will deal with the refund:
To request a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee, contact your bank in person at the branch, by phone or write to them (use the link below to download a standard letter template in Word format for this purpose).

http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Consumers/DirectDebit/HelpCentre/Pages/IncorrectPayments.aspx
People are having to wait because they are not following the procedures correctly.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the trouble is that numerous people have tried this and the expertly PN programmed computer says, hey this person is a bad risk and cuts then off
magnetism2772
Grafter

the direct debit guarantee details posted up here is the bacs DD default  guarantee  for the company that uses it
it has  (no default advanced customer warning  time on any DD changes)
plusnet have just added their own  3 day customer warning time into it
DD info @
http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Consumers/DirectDebit/HelpCentre/Pages/CancellationFailed.aspx
but DD also  acts to defend the customer  which you can read at their above website