cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond Plusnet

regretplusnet
Dabbler

Beyond Plusnet

My hasty entanglrment, with PN, has made me do some basic arithmetic.
In terms of call charges, PN compares well vith Virgin.  However, line rental (& my low usage) makes both more expensive than my 25p per min., PAYG Tesco mobile.
My ideal combination would be my Tesco mobile + Virgin 50 Mbps cable b/band.  The latter may seem expensive, at £30.25 per month, but I consider the speed to be worth the price.
In fact, with an indifferent PN providing an ever slowing ADSL speed; now only 2.2 Mbps (at best), Virgin b/band may soon be considered to be a necessity.
5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Beyond Plusnet

£30on for just 50Mbps?
that seems a ludicrous price to be honest, and remember that's just the "advertised" price, not necessarily what you'll get in reality.
virgin, IIRC, have some pretty poor conjestion speeds drops regularly.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: chenks76
£30on for just 50Mbps?
that seems a ludicrous price to be honest,..

Compared to what?  It depends on what else is available to the end user.  If he's on 20CN on a Market 1 exchange the upmarket ISPs will be charging that much for ordinary ADSL, and even Plusnet's price (for 2.2meg) will be more than half the Virgin price.
regretplusnet
Dabbler

U switch is offering a 12 months, Virgin Media contract; 50 Mbps cable plus 'phone, for £23 per month.  That does make slow ADSL, at £17 per month, appear to be very poor value.
x47c
Grafter

I'd agree:
Under such circumstances of having a very slow ADSL connection and the opportunity, which only some have, to swap to Virgin it seems a no-brainer to use Virgin.
As to the £30pm for 50Mbps being very high - bear in mind that the full FTTP commercial companies are charging around £30 to £40 for 50/50Mbps service where their service is available.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: chenks76
£30on for just 50Mbps?
that seems a ludicrous price to be honest, and remember that's just the "advertised" price, not necessarily what you'll get in reality.
virgin, IIRC, have some pretty poor conjestion speeds drops regularly.

...have to agree -checked the d/l speed for my sister in law's recently "upgraded" Virgin connection in South London -at ~ 6pm she was only getting ~ 12 Mbps which is considerably worse than my ADSL2+ speeds here in Wales.