cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth being throttled during the day ?

BorgWales
Grafter

Bandwidth being throttled during the day ?

I get some really slow speeds during the day, can't even watch youtube At night it seems to go up to around the 2 Mb/s during the day its almost like being on dial up. Can't even get the MAC code on a Saturday.
I'm out of here ASAP
32 REPLIES 32
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Bandwidth being throttled during the day ?

Have you checked the status of the exchange? It sounds as if your problem could be exchange contention. If that is the case things are very unlikely to improve if you switch to another ISP using BT's intrastructure, instead you should only look at LLU providers. You can find out what LLU is available at you exchange from Sam Knows.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BorgWales
Grafter

LLU isn't available, the exchange is crap as well
The ETA fix time is: 01 Jan 70
Record last updated: 06 Aug 10
2070 FFS
Its always showing red.
I have a contract with Plusnet, they have a contract with BT why don't they get BT to sort the exchanges out.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PN might be part of the BT group, but dear old Maggie T and OFCOM, wont let the different sections talk to each other
Leaving PN for another ISP will only take your problem with you
TicnTac
Grafter

Shocked
To not sound like Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!"
I would hope that by then, the internet just wouldn't be anything near what it is now, we should be teleporting about, firewire socket implants, wi-fi built into our optic-nerves, and living on Mars or beyond!
This country is so backwards it's almost 3rd world!  Angry As for the money that goes through the hands of BT, they should stop paying stupid top exec. wages, forget the share holders, stop disposing of ex BT staff cast offs onto half decent ISP's and actually get the infrastructure sorted once and for all, for every area, 8Mb minimum, no more download caps, or usage caps, just decent, always on, always working, broadband! Might even get happy customers then!
Roll_eyes really is a mess!
Where's the Internet Fairy Godmother when you need her?  Wink  Roll_eyes
BorgWales
Grafter

I don't like this Midnight till dawn thing either. Most ppl are in bed then. Its a con
TicnTac
Grafter

Quote from: BorgWales
I don't like this Midnight till dawn thing either. Most ppl are in bed then. Its a con

........it's really because most Interneters are nocturnal  Roll_eyes Also for the vast majority of surfers, shoppers, facebookers, tweeties etc. Plusnut is pretty much fine, on the Value package anyway-ish - sort of, well not quite, depends!  Roll_eyes
Shouldn't have to be this way - but it is  Undecided Really is all BT's fault! Or should we blame NTHell getting taken over by Virgin, as 100% of the UK could have been on fibre then!?  Undecided
BorgWales
Grafter

Doesn't work out though does it, if everyone is on a midnight till daft o clock time scale then everyone will be using it then so its just as clogged up.
TicnTac
Grafter

Pretty much, then you get the transatlantic peak users on, which then drags the Internet down even further. It is all just one big traffic problem, locally for ISP users, and then globably for the gateways and exchanges, throw in a little issue at LINX (London Internet Exchange Ltd) and traffic can really be on a go slow - used to be a live stat page for them, but can't find it  Roll_eyes
However, most large downloaders will use between 2am and 7am - UK traffic is lighter, depending where you surf, so for the hardcore netter, it makes sense, but the normal joe netter, it makes no sense, as sleep comes first, but then you never get to use your 'free usage'.
Fair for some not for others, maybe PN need to introduce a few more choices for folk?  Undecided
BorgWales
Grafter

This is getting stupid now.
BorgWales
Grafter

I'm heading over to The Channel 5 web site and logging this rubbish speed on their survey. 
Quick enough to charge if I go over my limit but won't refund me if the speeds are so slow. This 'Up-To' rubbish is a con.
Dom
Grafter

... why don't they get BT to sort the exchanges out.

When BT "upgraded" my exchange earlier in the year it seems to have caused problems, both for myself, and for the company that I work for (as we're all on the same exchange).
David_W
Rising Star

Most non-LLU ISP's don't even do that, they give you a limit (say 20Gb) and that's it, if you download at 4am it's coming out of your allowance.  You can download 100+Gb off peak easily and PN won't say a word, how many other ISP's will let you download 100Gb and not blink an eye?
TicnTac
Grafter

You can download 100+Gb off peak easily and PN won't say a word
because most PN customers won't have a chance in hell of ever being able to download that in such a short period of time;D Sorry, still feeling sore over my saga with BT  Roll_eyes
Maybe PN should think about something else, charge people for what they connect at - so the max you pay for 8Mb is what we all pay now, but if you connect at 1.16Mb you only pay for that amount? Could be an interesting concept?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: TicnTac
Maybe PN should think about something else, charge people for what they connect at - so the max you pay for 8Mb is what we all pay now, but if you connect at 1.16Mb you only pay for that amount? Could be an interesting concept?

Won't happen. ISPs are charged by BTW for the capacity (bandwidth, if you will) they use. Speed is not an issue when pricing broadband services.