Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad web link being sent out in emails

FIXED
simmotech
Grafter

Bad web link being sent out in emails

I received a customer service email with this link which doesn't work - 404 error.

https://www.plus.net/autocomp?utm_source=customer-res&utm_medium=email-triggered&utm_content=generic...

11 REPLIES 11
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Bad web link being sent out in emails

Hiya, thanks for letting us know about this. I flagged this last week with our incident management team and ad hoped it would be resolved by now. I'll get back on to them.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
simmotech
Grafter

So what is the correct web page for the automatic compensation policy?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

While we're getting our webpage fixed up, you can find all the details about the automatic compensation we're signed up to over on Ofcom's site here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat... but feel free to let me know if you've got further queries. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simmotech
Grafter

Yes I saw that page but my issue is not a complete loss of service - just a reduction in download speed - and that page doesn't cover that so I was hoping the Plusnet page would be more comprehensive.

Just got a call from Plusnet telling me its all fixed (after waiting for Openreach to dig up the road and it getting delayed a few times) and...nothing's changed since the last call. 😞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid we don't offer compensation for a speed fault as there'd be no loss of service.

We are though also signed up to Ofcom's voluntary speed code of practice which means we'll waive any termination fees if your speed is below what we promised you when your contract began and we've been given 30 days to try to resolve.

We've got a help guide with more detail here > https://www.plus.net/help/legal/ofcom-voluntary-speed-code-of-practice/

Looking at the fault itself, our suppliers have confirmed the fault to be fixed with your router now getting 61.5mbps. 

Do you know where about the engineers were meant to dig and haven't they done so? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simmotech
Grafter

So why was compensation brought up by Plusnet in the first place?

Not sure that 'promised' speeds are any use here since what I see onscreen for Estimated download range & Minimum Guaranteed Speed seem to be based on the current below-par performance and not what I had when I signed up!

Actually, the Current Line Speed says 78Mbps!

Its never shown that high before - think it was mid-60s off the top of my head and I used to get 59Mbs.

I'm going to try starting the BT modem - just to see if that has any effect.

Also, what does "...with your router now getting 61.5mbps.". My router isn't a Plusnet one so did you mean to the BT modem?

And if so, should I see near that using speedtest.net?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

From what I can see looking at the email we'd sent you on the 05.06.22 about compensation, this was more of a generic automated email on the back of the open fault with your service.

I can understand though it'd be confusing as the fault was logged as a speed issue, but during that time things could have developed and you be left without service at all while engineers were investigating.

The full email was here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_service_notice&id=564437911 but looking at an extract I've pasted below, we've made you aware that the email wasn't us guaranteeing we can offer you compensation. 

"As you've had an interruption to your broadband service you may be eligible for automatic compensation until the day we can get your services up and running. This will be for a maximum of 60 days. You can find more information on our automatic compensation policy here: https://www.plus.net/autocomp

Please note this email is not a guarantee of compensation. We'll check your eligibility once the problem has been fixed."

The "Current Line Speed" is just a profile which should match the sync speed your modem gets from the cabinet. I've manually updated that now to 61mbps as it was way off. From the ticket we've raised at the time Here of you beginning your contract, your minimum guaranteed speed is 44.5mbps so that's what we'll hold ourselves to. 

When running a speed test you should see near to 61mbps. What router do you have? Does it have a VDSL modem built in? The Openreach modem is ancient and I didn't realise you were still using it. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simmotech
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf

I had restarted the modem before I saw your reply about changing the profile.

Either/both did make a difference and I can now see 57Mbps so down 2Mbps.
On the other hand Upload is up 2Mbps to 16Mbps.

So swings-and-roundabouts but it took Openreach several visits and new cable laid just to get back where we were!

One thing I have noticed during this issue:
Folks on your side either change (or don't change) the profile without the customer knowing it has happened and it can get confusing when checking with speed tests. And I believe these profiles can increase/decrease themselves automatically depending on line conditions (hence the wait-for-a-couple-of-days-to-see-if-it-changes-type responses).

It might be helpful to have an 'extended' view of things like profiles and history of changes on the Your Broadband Service page.

Incidentally, why did you choose a '61mps' profile if my Current Line Speed is 78Mbps?

To be honest, I wasn't too bothered about compensation per se - I did lose service a couple of times but that was due to Openreach cockups but not for too long - I was hoping to offset it against penalties for ending my contract 4 months early due to moving house. That way I could choose the best deal at the new house.

I currently have a BT modem with a D-Link DIR-868L router plugged into it. Its served me well over the years but I am told if I move house via Plusnet and sign a new contract, I can get one of your routers to use.

Will it be a Hub Two? Is it free? Is it locked down?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and I'm glad to see your speed has gone up now. Sorry for the issues you've had. 

The profile I've changed is called the "Current Line Speed" as this should sit underneath your modem's sync speed. 

It's not really too relevant nowadays as it doesn't affect anything, unless it's too low and you have a static IP, in which case it'd restrict your speed on a speed test, but that didn't happen here as the profile was just too high. 

For more advanced diagnostics, I would say that looking at the sync speed is more beneficial which I don't believe you can do, at least easily, with the Openreach modem. If you renew your contract, we can indeed send you a free Hub Two, although we may ask for £6.99 to cover the postage & packaging cost. 

The Hub Two's locked down in the way that you'll only be able to use it on a Plusnet connection, and possibly BT or EE as well, but if you want to use your own router then you can put the Hub into "bridge mode" to act as a standalone modem. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simmotech
Grafter

Well I've made the house move, signed up with Plusnet again, got the new Hub 2, waited 14 days to let it settle down and the performance is a bit disappointing. 

I'm getting 40Mbps download/10Mbps upload whereas I was expecting nearer 55Mbps/16Mbps according the the 49-67Mbps download & 12-18Mbps estimates and the next door neighbours anecdotal speed. And sometimes, some long ping times too - 281ms. The results are fairly consistent both from my PC and iPhone at any time of the day.

An email I received from Plusnet says Current Line Speed is 78Mb. The Minimum Guaranteed Speed is 42.8Mb.

The router is saying the Downstream sync speed is 44.391 with upload at 12.851Mbps. This hasn't changed since day 2 after switch on.

Is there any chance you could have a look to see if the profile looks right?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @simmotech,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'm very sorry to hear the speeds running lower than expected. I'd be happy to take a look into this with you - please could you send me a Private Message with your new account username?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team