Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT modem be posted ?

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

BT modem be posted ?

Customer moving  from TalkTalk Fibre to  PN Fibre , as no engineer is required at the property (ticket 100597250), can the BT modem be posted to the customer please .
I would like the customer to have the full PN set up ( currently one box solution ), in case there are any faults or diagnostics in the future  .
On sign up chat i was told , just need to ring in, and a BT modem would be posted. Having just rung up after a 20 min wait, to be told no we do not post them out?
Others on here have had them posted out.
Can someone please look in to this
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

28 REPLIES 28
joclark
Grafter

Re: BT modem be posted ?

Unfortunately we are currently out of stock with the modems, so we will need to arrange for an engineer go to the property to install this kit. However, if the talktalk router is unlocked they can continue to use this router.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jo
dnpark38
Rising Star

One box solution,    what is that please?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'll assume you are serious as everyone needs to build their knowledge, very few things are "in-built" Roll_eyes
Connections need a modem and a second device to work - the second device usually being a router (though a general purpose PC can perform the required functions).
The choice, therefore, is two separate units  (modem plus router = two boxes) or a single unit (modem/router combined = one box) Wink
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: joclark
Unfortunately we are currently out of stock with the modems, so we will need to arrange for an engineer go to the property to install this kit. However, if the talktalk router is unlocked they can continue to use this router.

What are the chances of the engineer actually turning up with the modem when he realises there is an existing FTTC service?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
joclark
Grafter

High probability Jelv. We use different routers that TalkTalk, Sky, BT Etc so when we ask an engineer to arrange the fibre broadband they should go to the property install the modem and everyone is happy. 
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@joclark can you please amend the order ? so the engineer attends the customers property with the BT modem, as per the open ticket (100597250), the engineer is only going to the exchange.
Kind Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

High probability Jelv. We use different routers that TalkTalk, Sky, BT Etc so when we ask an engineer to arrange the fibre broadband they should go to the property install the modem and everyone is happy. 

So why have we seen so may posts on here from people migrating in from BT Infinity who wait in all day for an engineer that never appears.
You seem to be talking theory and not what happens in practice.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dnpark38
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
. Crazy
So why have we seen so may posts on here from people migrating in from BT Infinity who wait in all day for an engineer that never appears.
You seem to be talking theory and not what happens in practice.

Was going to give you the Good Post symbol but this forum not got one.
Also I would add coming from Sky too.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv

I second that Jelv,  BT needs to be told off -- somehow!!!
AndyH
Grafter

I think clarification needs to be given on FTTC migrations by Plusnet.
This is what Openreach say (so I don't think they can be blamed...):
If you win a customer back from a CP who uses an integrated modem/router device, you should be aware that an Openreach modem may not be installed in the premises. You should either provide your own integrated modem/router device or raise a fault on that line as soon as it is completed to get an engineer to site to install an Openreach modem. Recognising the customer experience issues associated with this situation, you may contact the GEA-FTTC product line who will arrange a bulk supply of Openreach modems which you could post as part of your provision process.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jo,
I do not want to teach you to suck eggs, but the above appears confused.  With PN FIBRE installations there are two separate devices, a MODEM and a ROUTER.  The MODEM is usually delivered by BTOR when the engineer visits to install the "fibre" termination and the ROUTER is despatched by PlusNet.
I believe I am correct in stating that Sky & Talk Talk do not use the BT standard MODEM and in some cases use their own combined ROUTER / MODEM.
There have been countless tales on here of people migrating from one of the other fibre service providers and ending up with no engineer visit and no MODEM delivery because BTOR records indicate that the premises are already wired for fibre.  There is a serious flaw in BTOR's management of fibre migrations from a provider who use their own kit, to one using BT's kit - there is no recognition of the need to supply the VDSL termination equipment.  In the past people have been far from happy over the consequences.
Historically PN's MODEM stock has been used to cover-over BTOR's failures / the inability to communicate that though fibre is already installed to the premises, a standard BT MODEM is still required.
...roll on PlusNet providing an all in one VDSL MODEM / ROUTER solution.
Cheers,
Kevin
Andy said nearly the same whilst I typed.

AndyH
Grafter

Openreach make it clear they will not attend a property or cabinet for a migration as it is all done remotely. This is all irrespective of whether the end user at the premises has had a BT modem in the past.
For FTTC migrations, Plusnet should ask end users whether they have a BT modem or not at the time of ordering. If they do not, then one needs to be provided (either by an engineer or posted) but the end user needs to be told not to expect an engineer on the migration date!
I do think Plusnet are to blame here - they know the information, but just do not communicate it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Agreed Andy,
...and from Jo's response, I fear that the issue is not clearly understood by everyone on the front line, which is not much of a surprise as the majority of fibre installation is likely to be first time installs.

AndyH
Grafter

The problem is by the time Plusnet update their ordering systems (so end users can input whether they have an Openreach modem already when placing a migration order), Plusnet will probably have already introduced their own router/modem  Embarrassed