Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT WEBWISE: What's it about?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I thought the last paragraph of the El Reg article said it all:
The incident appears to be isolated, but it once again highlights concerns about BT and Phorm's claims for the security of their interception technology, and their ability to operate it to specification.

When will you be trialling BT Webwise?
BT is commencing trials of BT Webwise on 30th September 2008. We will be inviting a small proportion of BT's consumer broadband customers to take part in the trial. The trial involves only BT Retail consumer broadband customers; it does not involve customers of BT Business, BT Ireland or other BT-owned ISPs, such as PlusNet.

"Oops, we made a technical error and Plusnet users were included."
# BT Webwise does not collect or store any personally identifiable information.
# BT Webwise ensures users' browsing remains anonymous by using a random-number cookie to link to each computer.
# BT Webwise doesn't keep records of individual websites that you visit or what you were doing on the web.

Given the level of incompetence BT/Phorm have exhibited today (they couldn't manage to exclude plusdsl2.net in spite of the concerns flagged up about this in the past), can we really trust those statements from BT regarding privacy?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
Probably picked up one of these posts
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=newsite&Number=3495001
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=3494941

There could of been another reason they found out about it. Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

"You may think that I couldn't possibly comment"  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Gel
Screenshot posted
http://www.peasemore.plus.com/BTwebwise.pdf

if you want to past a PDF, the better way is to use the Addtional Options and then add it the same way as a picture
zubel
Community Veteran

To be fair, I can't actually recall Plusnet saying that the RIN Triallists would *not* be affected.
After a cursory search, I found this:
Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Jelv,
It is our understanding that RIN customers will be affected by this.
We're currently collectng further details and we're currently drafting an email to advise those customers of what this can mean for them and giving information on how to rejoin the PlusNet network.

So, is there further communication that didn't happen in the public fora that I missed?
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The second quote at the top of this page was from BT.
Let's get this clear, it's BT that has screwed up royally, Plusnet have responded very creditably, but they are to a certain extent at the mercy of BT.
I guess there's been some pretty strong language directed at BT by Plusnet today!
Heloman
Grafter

Absolutely right, jelv.
This has been a BT SNAFU and PN have responded as quickly as is reasonable after they were alerted.
IIRC problems for PN RIN customers were first highlighted by Dephormation's blocking of BT subscribers.
sotar
Grafter

I have been a customer of Plusnet for approx. 10 years and with a few notable exceptions they have always provided a good service. This incident with BT Webwise somewhat undermines my confidence in Plusnet's previous statements that they don't use Phorm's systems on its network.
I just want to add my voice to the many others that are against Phorm (and like systems) and what it represents. If Plusnet ever do decide to implement such a system then they will be losing my custom.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi sotar,
I think the post made by Pete here should help to put your mind at rest.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sotar
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Chris.
I had read that comment and while it did ease my mind somewhat I would be happier if it had stated Plusnet would not be involved with BT Webwise (and Phorm) full-stop rather than emphasizing the 'trial'.
One other point the comment highlighted was that we could change our connection setting to <username>"@plusdsl.net to point to Plusnet Centrals. My configuration connects to <username>@plus.net. Does this avoid the RIN network and/or keep my web traffic away from BT?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Here's a quote from Neil Armstrong:
Plusnet customers using RIN should not normally see the BT Webwise invitation screen or be able to join the BT Webwise trial. This case is believed to have been due to a configuration error which we acted on as soon as we were made aware of it. BT and Plusnet have confirmed that no further Plusnet customers should be presented with the BT Webwise screen, and Plusnet customers' web traffic will not form any part of BT Webwise trial.

If you used to connect with username@plus.net then that should still work.  It's just an older variant of username@plusdsl.net
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: sotar
My configuration connects to <username>@plus.net. Does this avoid the RIN network and/or keep my web traffic away from BT?

Yes,, it was only those taking part in the retail network (RIN) trial that were using the @plusdsl2.net connection 'realm'.  Unless you are using @plusdsl2.net (note the '2') then you are connecting on the Plusnet Centrals and are going nowhere near RIN.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is RIN?  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Retail Internet Network? All I know is that it was a trial that began a good while ago (I think it started prior to March 2007 as it was mentioned at the open day). I am sure that someone will be along to explain more thoroughly.
Slightly off topic so I know that I am being naughty but Peter - what is the origin of your Force9 avitar? I can't remember seeing it on the portal before, although I know that you have been around a very long time!
Roll_eyes