Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT WEBWISE: What's it about?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

BT WEBWISE: What's it about?

I connect via the RIN to Plus Net, but got a BT Webwise page this morning inviting me to opt in,  "
As a BT Total Broadband customer, you can try an exciting new service called BT Webwise."
Is this BT trying to get customers to switch?
48 REPLIES 48
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT WEBWISE: What's it about?

Can you post the complete information as we would all (well me anyway) be very interested in how they spin it.
chillypenguin
Grafter

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We were told that would never happen. Please post a screen dump.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petejackson
Grafter

This is the first we've heard of this and it most definately shouldn't be happening.  Thanks for letting us know and we'll start investigating this immediately. I'll update you when I know more.
In the meantime if you don't wish to connect over the RIN network you can change the DSL login in your modem or router to use the (username)@plusdsl.net realm.  Don't forget if you do do this to switch your router off (power-off) and on again to connect.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you got enough capacity if all the RIN users switched back to the Plusnet Centrals?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Peter
In the meantime if you don't wish to connect over the RIN network you can change the DSL login in your modem or router to use the (username)@plusdsl.net realm.  Don't forget if you do do this to switch your router off (power-off) and on again to connect.
Why do you need to switch off the router - all I ever did is to disconnect from RIN, put in the new username and reconnect
paulby
Grafter

@Oldjim - it'll be to cover the various different types of router out there.
A reboot will definitely have the desired effect and it's probaly easier than trying to explain how to disconnect and reconnect on different devices.
(On my router, for example, you need to go to the stats page and click "Drop PPoA" then click "Dial PPoA" to reconnect.)
I also know of at least 1 router that won't permanently commit the change to flash memory without it going through a complete reboot cycle.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I've just swapped over to RIN for testing this out, but I haven't been presented with any options regarding Webwise at all - even going to their webwise page it tells me that it is not available..
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you got enough capacity if all the RIN users switched back to the Plusnet Centrals?

Yes, there is enough capacity on our centrals. Connection to RIN was as a trial service and yes, we maintain enough capacity to manage users wishing to switch across.  In addition there are only a relatively small number of customers on the RIN network.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Roger,
The reason for that is that is the new trial with a limited number of customers being approached
petejackson
Grafter

I've had an update on this.  As you know, as soon as you alerted us to this we started investigations into how this might've happened.
@Gel - Sorry you had a surprise this morning.  You are one of only around 250 customers who are connecting to the RIN network, as part of the trial we ran between February and September last year.  RIN is BT's Retail Network that we were trying out on a trial basis.  The RIN trial is unconnected to BT Webwise and it looks as though a configuration error was responsible for the presentation of the Webwise screen.  This configuration was put right as soon as we were notified and as we understand it this has been confirmed as the only instance of this occurring.  As previously stated, customers using RIN on Plusnet should not see the BT Webwise invitation screen or be able to join the BT Webwise trial. 
We can confirm that no further Plusnet customers should be presented with the BT Webwise screen, and that our customers' web traffic will not form any part of the BT Webwise trial.
As I mentioned you can change your connection settings to (username)@plusdsl.net to connect to Plusnet Centrals at any time.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If I didn't know better I would say "Yes Please" - that is really bad. It doesn't say anything about monitoring all your internet activities
zubel
Community Veteran

El Reg having a slow day?
B.