Did you mean: 

BT Merge Plusnet from 1st April

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: BT Merge Plusnet from 1st April

wrote:

wrote:

So I don't think we will getting upgraded fibre routers anytime soon.

Nothing stopping you using your own router which other providers prohibit.

PLUSNET is not the only provider on which you can use your own router.

The point is that it should be a matter of choice to do that , not because you have to overcome fundamental flaws in the ISP supplied router. I have been using the internet since dialup days and this is the first time I have had to buy another router to get a service fit for purpose.

Some previous posters hoped , maybe in jest , that this consolidation would see the trickle down of some of BT's premium offerings to PLUSNET. My comment was to suggest this would be unlikely.

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

ISP supplied routers can quite easily support VDSL speeds, is your hardware capable?

What are these fundamental flaws you see that many thousands of other users don't?

Also, what do you define as a 'Premium offering' ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There are fundamental flaws then there things which do not just quite work the way YOU think they should.

Budget ISPs all supply routers which are just about fit enough for the majority of users.  For those who feel they need a little more, there are lots of bells and whistle options available on the open market, which Plusnet (unlike some ISPs) will not inhibit you from using.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi all sorry for the confusion, just to avoid any doubt

• This announcement is a change to organisational structure nothing more.
  • We will remain, as we are today 3 distinct brands each with our own target markets. 
 Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So behind the scenes the entire organisation is changing.

But the public face stays the same.

That's comforting.

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

So it looks like business customers of PlusNet will be out on a limb? 

I've already moved most of my business lines/broadband from PlusNet to Zen. If we are dumped in to BT Business I'll swiftly migrate the remainder to Zen. The reason for the earlier moves was the extended wait time due to call queues with PlusNet, it's not primarily cost driven. I've had to deal with the business side of GPO/BT in a professional sense since 1985 and the thought does not encourage me.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

wrote:

Where did you get this from? Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

wrote:

There are fundamental flaws then there things which do not just quite work the way YOU think they should.

Budget ISPs all supply routers which are just about fit enough for the majority of users.  For those who feel they need a little more, there are lots of bells and whistle options available on the open market, which Plusnet (unlike some ISPs) will not inhibit you from using.

There are fundamental flaws when products do not work as advertised and in a manner that is considered reasonable. This is not the thread to discuss specifics , the router thread on this forum contains numerous examples of the hub one 5ghz issues. 

I am not after bells and whistles , I would just like my ISP supplied router to perform reliably and function as advertised.

That is not an unreasonable expectation. I as the customer do not have to justify my position on this !

If BT want synergies and cost savings then rolling out one router across the group should be considered.

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

wrote:

wrote:

Where did you get this from? Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Presumably from the BT Corporate website stating that all three brands are being "brought together" under the consumer "group business".

https://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Ourcompany/Groupbusinesses/btconsumer/index.htm

Looks like a case of BT management publishing jargon and "corporate speak" and frankly confusing statements on the corporate website.

After reading the BT corporate website, I have to wonder why they need so many tiers of management?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There needs to be something for non-productive people to do.  It is a sad reflection on reality that all too often many layers of management between team leaders and those at the top actually deliver anything tangible, beyond obstructing the teams and their leaders from delivering their mission.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Townman that is one of the main problems with NHS Angry

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

... yes, I stopped short of saying it applies widely ... especially the NHS.

I have worked as a supplier to them (using BT as part of the solution) and I have friends working within.  They just do not get "commercial acumen" for good management in all aspects of what they undertake.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Does this explain anything? https://funnyshit.com.au/the_plan.html.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's very similar to my Dad's experience in WW2. The captain was explaining how word of mouth messages often get garbled and had the troop, consisting of many dozens of men, stand in a (very) large circle. He gave a message to one man and told him to repeat it to the man on his left etc etc.

Of course time the message reached the captain again it wasn't the same.

That probably also goes to explain why most family run businesses are more efficient than the country wide sprawling kind.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

One thing that amuses me is BT's ownership of EE, given that BT and Securicor set up Cellnet (latterly BT Cellnet and O2), which they spun off after buying out Securicor's share in the company, and then O2 was sold off to Spain, I wonder how many execs are still kicking themselves today for doing all that and wasting so much money buying EE to return to the mobile market...

It's no wonder phoneline rental had to go up, they have to fund their screwups somehow, makes me wonder who'll buy up Openreach now that's a separated entity, AT&T? Bell Canada?? Funny