cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS Profile - Speed - Latency - DLM

BoBBYI986
Dabbler

BRAS Profile - Speed - Latency - DLM

Switched from O2 Adsl 2 + Broadband few months back as they where switching to SKY!!! only reason for leaving great service.
Signed up to the 80/20 FTTC Unlimited Package, Using my own router Draytek 2850N with Built in VDSL2 modem. I didn't use the ADSL 2+ router with 10/100 WAN port supplied by PlusNet as I  connect remotely a lot to my house (VPN).
I am having constant disconnections, resulting in DLM adjusting my line speeds and also increasing my interleaving to HIGH! pings are awful should be getting around 13 - 15ms achieve nowhere near that.
I have checked all internal wiring, there is no problems, BT quiet line test also no problems there.
My line speed should be 57Mbit but getting 39Mbit on the DSLAM sync rate due to DLM adjusting my SNR margin, Interleaving, basically just messing everything up. I just want a set BRAS profile of 80/20 and a set SNR margin of 6Db up & down and NO DLM!!
I raised  a ticket a week ago now but still nothing has been resolved, I have asked for my BRAS profile to be reset to 80/20. also DLM to be removed from my line as I really hate that [Censored] so much. I understand you have to go through BT as PlusNet are just a reseller for BT DSLAM's but surely doesn't take a week to reset a BRAS profile and Disable DLM.
Getting really annoyed with this PlusNet service, sick of waiting for them to get this sorted. I am paying for 80/20 and getting  40/10, absolute rubbish.

28 REPLIES 28
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BRAS Profile - Speed - Latency - DLM

Hi there,
With regard to the fault, it looks like BT are wanting to get an engineer out - I'll update your ticket, but if you could let us know when you'd be available on weekdays either in the morning between 8am and 1pm or the afternoons from 1pm to 6pm we'll get it booked in for you. Hopefully that'll get the drops sorted.
As regards the profile, margin and DLM I'm afraid we don't have that degree of control on fibre yet so everything's all automatic with no way of being overridden. Realise that's not what you're after given the above but until that changes I'm afraid it's how things are.
Hope that helps.
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for you reply, I would like to cancel the BT Engineer coming out, I have received a custom Draytek Firmware for my built in VDSL modem, which is supposed to fix VDSL IOP Issue.
I just require my BRAS profile resetting to 80/20 and just let DLM stable my line. If you could do that ASAP that will be great.
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately the only way a line reset can be initiated on Fibre is by an engineer at the local cabinet. That in mind would you rather not cancel the engineer?
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Is it not possible for PlusNet to just send out an engineer to the Cabinet to reset the profile?
If so that can be done at anytime, as it requires no visit to my premises.
I will also be charged if there was no fault found at my premises Internally including router. Which I have resolved.
So if a Cabinet visit could just be scheduled to reset my profile that will be great.  I presume I will get updated on the current open ticket it's been done. If not i will just check my VDSL status on the routers web interface.
Thankyou.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, just checked with our faults team and that should be possible, yes - I'll update you when it's been booked in.
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Excellent, thanks for your help much appreciated  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, that's been booked in tomorrow morning for you - I've asked that notes are passed to the engineer to just reset the line and not to visit your premises.
Hope that gets everything sorted for you.
keith4x4
Grafter

Hi
Just wondering where you got the custom Draytek Firmware from and did it help?
I have the same here but am not using it at present
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi,
Please see link below for Firmware.
The Firmware has helped, disconnections seem to have stopped,  I will be getting my BRAS profile reset this morning, I will see how the modem handles the reset and see if DLM stables my line at the estimated speed of 57Mbit.
I will report In a few days with results.
F/W: ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.4.1/Annex%20A/Vigor2850_v3.6.4.1_A_232201.zip
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi Guys,
Just reporting my results.
First few days after BRAS profile reset everything was good, come Sunday night around 6pm, constant disconnections every 2 minutes or so, Downstream SNR on my Draytek was hitting 166775DB and sync was DSLAM was constantly dropping.
INP (Interleaving) has now kicked in on my line due to DLM and has yet again increased latency on my line.
My friend is going to borrow me his BT VDSL modem and I will try that and see how things go, see if this modem does the same thing, if so must be some sort of fault on the line.
I will report back in a few days with Results of the BT VDSL modem.
keith4x4
Grafter

Just a thought but has anybody got a mains network extender near you?
I had a similar thing caused by a neighbour using a netgear set which caused resets and stale connections on my BB
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi,
No there isn't anyone with network extenders near me, everything was working perfectly fine on my old ADSL and old Draytek 2830N.
I use nothing but Draytek as I've always found it to be outstanding hardware.
Be disappointed if it turns out to be the VDSL modem on the Draytek but I will report back once I hook up the BT VDSL modem  Smiley
BoBBYI986
Dabbler

Hi Guys,
Have been running the BT VDSL modem for past few days now connected to Gigabit WAN port on my DrayTek with no problems what so ever, no disconnections at all.
So problem must have been with the DrayTek VDSL modem (very disappointed) so from now on I will continue to run with the BT VDSL modem.
All I need now is another BRAS profile reset, as my profile is screwed again running on interleaved due to DLM also under 40MBit due to DrayTek Modem (Matt can you help with that?)
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BoBBYI986
My friend is going to borrow me his BT VDSL modem and I will try that and see how things go, see if this modem does the same thing, if so must be some sort of fault on the line.

How did you manage to get an FTTC installation without getting your own Openreach VDSL modem? I appreciate you might not have wanted to use it but I thought they were still a compulsory part of the installation. I'm also moderately surprised that you were able to get support without using it.