cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Notification of BRAS Profile Changes

hadden
Grafter

Automatic Notification of BRAS Profile Changes

I was wondering if it would be possible to automatically notify users when their BRAS profile has changed within the PlusNet system.
I am not too hopeful, as I am aware of the delays that have been happening in the automated usage limit notification emails. However, I feel that I want to get this off my chest.
I also realise that this depends upon the route followed by the BT profile figure into the PlusNet system and if that figure is just written to the PlusNet records or if the PlusNet records can be read first to carry out a comparison with the new value.
Obviously there could be two potential notification messages, one for the profile going up and another for it going down.
When received, some users may want to understand more about the implication of the profile going up or down, so it would be useful to include a link to a web page where advice can be given about the implications of a profile change.
A potential need for this occurred to me as I have recently been tweaking the quality of my connection hardware and then regularly checking the profile both at BT and Plusnet, for confirmation of success. As this process usually takes several days, I realised that it would save me a lot of time if I knew that I could be automatically informed when a result had been achieved.
For info, I'm currently waiting to see if my latest tweak has been good enough for my profile to move up from 2500 and stick at 3000 kbps.
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Automatic Notification of BRAS Profile Changes

I'd go one step further. I'd like to see a page with all the recent sync events - including the times. James has given people this information in the past to help them identify what is causing their problems.
If you think you've been syncing fast enough to go up to the next level for a few days, seeing a single lower sync event would help you understand whats happening.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Seconded
I think we should be able to see all of the info about our lines that ISPs can see irrespective of the ISP they use.
To PN's credit they are more open than most.
zubel
Community Veteran

Me like.
Not sure of the dev implications, but this would be really useful as a user-selectable option.
I also like the suggestion of showing the last 'x' profile changes.
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Referring to the original post - I get enough rubbish emails from Plusnet as it is without adding another to the list
techguy
Grafter

Should be an option you can switch on/off in member centre.
Personally I'm more in favour of a kind of dashboard in member centre where you can see the info.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'd go one step further. I'd like to see a page with all the recent sync events - including the times.

I'd love to see this and think it would save support calls. I don't think it's necessary to have emails sent out each time the sync rate changed as that would probably be too resource hungry and many people would be wondering what the hell it was  Smiley
To get a complete picture I'd also like to see changes to IP profiles (BT & PN) included as well.
Mike
hadden
Grafter

I still prefer the scope of my original post... email notification of the profile speed and only if it changes.
This would be enough to confirm a successful connection improvement or warning that something may be worth investigating.
Then forensic activities could be started and the ability to lookup sync events could be useful for forensic purposes, if the users own connection logs are not sufficient.
It's a relevant point that a significant number of users may treat too much data as noise, so any email notification should be treated as an alert only when necessary. Plusnet have recognised that the profile number is simple enough for users to understand by making it available on a portal page. Also the profile number can be a follow up to what a user is told during an online signup when they are given an estimated connection speed. A change notification would let them know that the initial tuning process was successful.
techguy
Grafter

Maybe there could be a 'how would you like to be notified?' option.
James
Grafter

I personally like the idea.
I don't like the idea of being emailed though, unless it's opt in.  I'll try and raise this in the morning but I will be realistic.  If it does happen, it'll be a number of months down the line and may only apply to ADSL2+ circuits.
techguy
Grafter

The more info the better.  Smiley
Perhap there could be a simple and advanced display option too
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What an excellent concept. And it should be for all lines not just ADSL2+ as the majority of people will not be on ADSL2+.
Quote from: jelv
I'd go one step further. I'd like to see a page with all the recent sync events - including the times. James has given people this information in the past to help them identify what is causing their problems.
If you think you've been syncing fast enough to go up to the next level for a few days, seeing a single lower sync event would help you understand whats happening.
This could reduce the number of CSC and related queries.
I don't think there should be e-mails either, if someone is interested enough and technically competent to understand, then a quick check at the member centre is easy enough.
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I also think that being able to see the event history of one's line would be an excellent facility for those who understand the workings of ADSL - and for those who don't. The ability to know that "an event" had occurred at a specific time could, if provided in a timely manner, help narrow down any local causes.  By the time a ticket has been raised and escalated through the CSC it is days before this information is available. By this time any local events that could correlate with issues have likely long been forgotten.
Many (most?) home routers don't have any built in logging and to know what happened and when requires the capture of SNMP traps or router stats on a permanently running PC.
I think that an enhanced page in the connection settings menu to pull off an event log would be invaluable and save delays and loading on the CSC.
I would not want an email on status changes if I could check the log through the portal, so an opt-in would be fine. I tend to think that one is only interested in this information if there are problems and one is generally aware if there are.
What a great plus for PN that would be! The only ISP to provide this feature?
scootie
Grafter

yeah i like the idea of being able to see your sync ect history to be accessed by the member centre.
iam not to sure about the OP's email idea of profile changes like oldjim says another thing to add to the junk list for most uses of PN.
i think the surrgestion by jelv on making the sync history information part of the member centre to be of the biggest usefullness as profile changes are inculed in this data i belive so helps the end users in understanding the line condtions and aids fault finding with all the extra information made public to the end user.
my sync varies on the theshold of a 3000kbps profile. so i would get a far few emails on profile changes on my sort of line if i was one of those eco types that save the planet by turing the router off when not in use. so if the emai idea goes through then defo needs an opt in/out
amcclean
Rising Star

Great idea. I recently had issue with regard to speed and sync via my ticket I was shown connection type logs with connections and disconnections shown.
Re: e-mail option it could be set to only send if the linespeed dropped by xKbps with x being chosen by the end user. We all know that speed can vary slightly and possibly take a line up and or down by 500Kbps so if we could choose send email if speed varies by user (selection)Kbps we could choose to ignore it completely and let it work as intended and only get emails when it really goes belly up.
I'm in support of this option but I would say it should be for all not just adls2

Podman