cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Info On This Super Fast Product For South Yorks

dino

Any Info On This Super Fast Product For South Yorks

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/index.html......are PLUSNET affiliated or connected do we know?
jim:red All caps in title changed as per forum rules mod:end
23 REPLIES 23
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Any Info On This Super Fast Product For South Yorks

Not shown on their partners site
http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/partners.html
dgp
Rising Star

Digital Region availability to end-users starts in the New Year, so hopefully we might get to know the ISPs that will be using the service shortly.  Theoretically my postcode goes live in December 2011.  I know its two years off, but given Plusnet Towers is about five miles cable distance from the BT box that sits in the road outside my house (and where I assume the new Digital Region box will be installed) and I've always been happy with the service I hope Plusnet is one of the ISPs that signs up.
dino

That's why I'm so interested - my areas go live date is July 10...not long at all. I am on the whole a very satisfied PlusNet customer and have been for several years but don't want to be 'left behind' in the speed stakes.
Any official comments from PlusNet please?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dino,
I've not heard this being discussed anywhere so suspect we've no plans to take part at the moment. I'll ask about for you to be sure though.
paulatkinson
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Have you manage to get any update if plus.net with be using the South Yorkshire Digital network?
Our cabinet is due to be upgraded September 2010, i bet we get this before our exchange is upgraded to adsl2+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Paul
dgp
Rising Star

Also like an update please. 
Mark
Grafter

The Digital South Yorkshire network has been implemented by a company called Thales who run that particular network. We provide products and services operated and sold by BT Wholesale. I am not currently aware of any ISP selling the Thales product, but we certainly have no plans to do so. BT have their own fibre products, currently being trialled by us, and I would imagine that as these products will eventually cover a far greater number of people across the UK, its not likely that we'll sell services belonging to another network operator.

mal0z
Grafter

That's interesting, thanks Mark.
Thales used to run Network Rails extensive telecommunications network, but that might have changed in the last year. I've read one unsubstantiated report that Netwrok Rail took the business back in House - i.e state owned again.
That in turn used to be run by Racal Telecom ( who started Vodafone ) and Racal took over British Rail Telecom at Rail Privatisation.
British Railways telecom network was probably the biggest apart from PO/BT
But Thales are still very active with the rail business amongst others - their fibre may well still use Network Rail ducting
http://www.thalesgroup.co.uk/Portfolio/Defence/LandJoint_Products_Telecom_Infrastructure/?pid=1568
paulatkinson
Dabbler

Hi Mark
Will BT openreach fit their own FTTC equipment at the side of Thales equipment ?
If this is not the case, then a big part of South Yorkshire will not be able to get FTTC  through plus.net!  Cry
paulatkinson
Dabbler

Is it so hard to answer a simple question?
Its only been sitting there two days  Sad

mal0z
Grafter

Didn't Mark Kelly effectively answer the question ?
My reading of Marks remarks is that no, PN use the BT network, and PN use that.  They don't use the Thale network.
paulatkinson
Dabbler

Hi Mal
I understand Plus.net will not use Thales network  Sad
But will BT openreach fit their own equipment at the side of Thales FTTC, that is what i was asking  Smiley
OR
are we left without FTTC with Plus.net?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I would very much doubt that BT would elect to piggy back on the Thales network?   BT already have their own plans for FTTC in trial at various locations and a fairly aggressive roll-out planned for the next few years.
Hard to see a solid business case for corporate BT to cover just one area with a different solution.
It may happen - but I wouldn't take a bet on it.  Undecided
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mal0z
Grafter

Well - who is going to use the Thale network - I mean which ISP. Times change - and no doubt PN factors in a certain percentage of churn in the business model.
Now PN is part of BT - their hand is tied to a degree I expect.