cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Failed Installation

pridash

Another Failed Installation

Well I never realised just how many problems people have had with BT OR engineers failing to attend... Till now when I've experienced the same!
I originally had a visit booked for Tues 18th and no engineer showed.  I was informed that he decided,  off his own back,  that there was no need to attend as I was previously on Sky fibre.  A simple phone call (or existing knowledge - after all they are qualified engineers who should be in the know) would have clarified the situation.
Another visit was booked for today and again no show despite a Plusnet staff member reassuring me that the visit would most definitely take place as it was reported as a fault.
Now all I am offered is yet again another engineer slot in the next few days.  I'm fully regretting my decision to leave Sky - their self-install procedure was absolutely painless and I would think that for anyone considering moving to Plusnet (or any other provider reliant on BT OR) to rethink their decision... Unless you like being  without an  Internet connection for any lengthy  period of time.
I've now decided that if this isn't resolved by Saturday then I'll go back to Sky... And presumably be a life long customer of theirs.
I really don't know how people can put up with this kind of poor service in this day and age.
18 REPLIES 18
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Another Failed Installation

It is disgusting isn't it. Please don't judge Plusnet by BTOR's failure though ......
There has just been an interesting bit about it on BBC Watchdog (about 15 minutes ago) - worth a watch as you're not alone with this problem.
Hopefully PN will get it sorted - they are a much nicer company to deal with than Sky - I'd never go back to that company.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi pridash,
Welcome to the Forum and hopefully to Plusnet. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Openreach - the 2nd one not turning up as things were reported as a fault is disgusting and as you have discovered you are not alone. As for the first one .....
Quote from: pridash
........  after all they are qualified engineers who should be in the know.........

This is a debatable point. The person that should have done your install may have been a sub-contractor and there is one sub-contractor that has an especially bad reputation. And in any event IMHO, they are trained techs, not engineers and some don't appear to be trained correctly.
......... I would think that for anyone considering moving to Plusnet (or any other provider reliant on BT OR) .........

I'm afraid all ISP's are reliant on Openreach.They are responsible for the line to the Cab and Exchange and for any jumpering that's needed at the Cab or Exchange, so a move back could be just as troublesome - I'd advise give Plusnet a chance to escalate this and kick OR very hard.
I really don't know how people can put up with this kind of poor service in this day and age.

Neither do I, and I'm frequently suggesting that people complain to OFCOM about Openreach's shoddy performance, and not to be put off by any stone-walling and suggestion of going back to the ISP to chase it (you already have and they will be doing all they can). Insist that they register your complaint and get a reference number for it.
Good luck and I hope this is resolved quickly.
pridash

Quote from: DomS
It is disgusting isn't it. Please don't judge Plusnet by BTOR's failure though ......
There has just been an interesting bit about it on BBC Watchdog (about 15 minutes ago) - worth a watch as you're not alone with this problem.
Hopefully PN will get it sorted - they are a much nicer company to deal with than Sky - I'd never go back to that company.

Thanks and I'll see if I can catch that on iplayer... On my phone obviously!
Quote from: Anotherone
Hi pridash,
Welcome to the Forum and hopefully to Plusnet. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Openreach - the 2nd one not turning up as things were reported as a fault is disgusting and as you have discovered you are not alone. As for the first one .....
........  after all they are qualified engineers who should be in the know.........

This is a debatable point. The person that should have done your install may have been a sub-contractor and there is one sub-contractor that has an especially bad reputation. And in any event IMHO, they are trained techs, not engineers and some don't appear to be trained correctly.
......... I would think that for anyone considering moving to Plusnet (or any other provider reliant on BT OR) .........

I'm afraid all ISP's are reliant on Openreach.They are responsible for the line to the Cab and Exchange and for any jumpering that's needed at the Cab or Exchange, so a move back could be just as troublesome - I'd advise give Plusnet a chance to escalate this and kick OR very hard.

Neither do I, and I'm frequently suggesting that people complain to OFCOM about Openreach's shoddy performance, and not to be put off by any stone-walling and suggestion of going back to the ISP to chase it (you already have and they will be doing all they can). Insist that they register your complaint and get a reference number for it.
Good luck and I hope this is resolved quickly.

Thanks... But why would a move back to sky be(potentially)  equally troublesome? Sky fibre is a self install method so there is no need for a BTOR engineer to attend.
Anotherone
Champion

Depends which Fibre service you require as to whether anything has to be set/reset at the Cab.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you took time off work for all but the first appointment, be sure to claim the lost income back from PN for the missed appointment/s who then pas sit on to openreach.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights
#3 The key issue: did you take EXTRA time off?
Although it might seem slightly unusual, you can't claim compensation for the original no-show day as you haven't technically lost out through this. You were going to take that day off work anyway; the fact it turned out to be futile is aggravating, but not a loss in a legal sense. The key is what's needed to put it right.
So if the end result is you need take a SECOND day (or morning/hour) off for a new date, you should be due compensation for loss of earnings or loss of a day's holiday.
To have good grounds for compensation, your complaint needs to be considered reasonable in a court of law. So if the failed delivery happened when the area's roads were closed due to snow, you're less likely to have a strong case than if there were no adverse circumstances.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
RJM
Rising Star

This why I am waiting for "Plusnet self-install" - just, two tasks at the exchange/cabinet.
If they miss the appointment at least you still have have ADSL running.
I had no problems with Sky whatsoever and will certainly consider going back to them or BT
just get the "self-install".
Hurry-up Plusnet please!
pridash

Depends which Fibre service you require as to whether anything has to be set/reset at the Cab.

Sky is self install.
Quote from: Gus
If you took time off work for all but the first appointment, be sure to claim the lost income back from PN for the missed appointment/s who then pas sit on to openreach.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights
#3 The key issue: did you take EXTRA time off?
Although it might seem slightly unusual, you can't claim compensation for the original no-show day as you haven't technically lost out through this. You were going to take that day off work anyway; the fact it turned out to be futile is aggravating, but not a loss in a legal sense. The key is what's needed to put it right.
So if the end result is you need take a SECOND day (or morning/hour) off for a new date, you should be due compensation for loss of earnings or loss of a day's holiday.
To have good grounds for compensation, your complaint needs to be considered reasonable in a court of law. So if the failed delivery happened when the area's roads were closed due to snow, you're less likely to have a strong case than if there were no adverse circumstances.

Thanks for that-it's really helpful and I will put in a claim at this rate.
Quote from: RJM
This why I am waiting for "Plusnet self-install" - just, two tasks at the exchange/cabinet.
If they miss the appointment at least you still have have ADSL running.
I had no problems with Sky whatsoever and will certainly consider going back to them or BT
just get the "self-install".
Hurry-up Plusnet please!

If only they would. If sky can do it I don't know why plusnet can't.
Anyway hopefully for plusnet it's third time lucky with BT OR - they are due to attend this afternoon.  If not it's back to Sky we go with dependable service.
picbits
Rising Star

Fingers crossed for you - PN has been one of the more reliable overall providers for me over the last couple of years Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Sky may be self install from your end, but initial Fibre install requires Openreach to alter things at the Cab and Exchange.
When switching Fibre, as I said below -

Note the use of the words "set/reset". Unlike ADSL, where a number of settings at the exchange can be done remotely, Openreach have to go to the Cabinet.
pridash

Well I'm happy to confirm that the engineer turned up yesterday and all is up and running finally!  I must admit he was really really helpful and keen to get it sorted. However it was interesting that he said plusnet had not provided enough info about the job so he was a little in the dark about what was required... So maybe there's room for improvement on both sides.
He also mentioned that although he does have a number of jobs to do every day he's not obliged to finish all of them - some may take longer than others. That may explain why some people get a no show. On my installation because of the lack of info provided by plusnet he said he "wasted" a lot of time at the cabinet before visiting.  
Anyway all is good and speeds are fast. Thumbs up. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Without wishing to prejudge your particular situation
When I had a really helpful engineer (the first one in numerous visits) to sort out a line fault he hadn't received the notes from Plusnet so I gave him a copy
Anotherone
Champion

Without wishing to pre- (or post-) judge anyone's situations, there are plenty of posts around this forum where Openreach have been sent notes by Plusnet, but they have Not been passed to the engineer Shocked
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Openreach have been sent notes by Plusnet, but they have Not been passed to the engineer Shocked

Can't help but wonder that a company who is based around telecommunications has trouble with telecommunicating essential info to it's own staff... Huh
(that said I can't fault the Openreach guys that have visited us via primus when someone snapped one of our pair of wires on two separate occasions in the junction box up the street, always turned up, always got it fixed, always courteous... Smiley )
And completely and utterly off-topic, every time I see your name, this plays in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpv5kFMcq8I
Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Grin very witty - bookmarked Wink
Most of the Openreach guys & gals are great, it's the organisation and management that let them down.