Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A debatable point?

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

A debatable point?

It has been accepted by plusnet that my telephone line is not as it should be but even so, I can make and receive telephone calls - albeit with some issue with the caller ID function. What's debatable is, should I be charged line rental on the same line that works for the phone but not nearly well enough for the internet with ultra slow speeds, intermittent connections and constant buffering?  

Personally I do not think so, plusnet on the other hand are now starting to backtrack after having previously agreed and, after previously giving a full refund each month. 

What do you think guys?

PS. We had hoped to go all out for one of those smart televisions this year, but no point at the moment obviously. Roll on fibre for west Wales!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
4 REPLIES 4
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: A debatable point?

...but the problem is still going to exist, in that if the fault you obviously have, is between you and the cabinet then fibre will be a waste of time as it only sorts out problems between exchange and cab.

Minivanman
Legend

Very true David, but it would at least narrow the area down should the fault persist yes?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

In the other thread, you said that you had had multiple visits by Openretch -one of the tests they must have done is test at the cab. If it was a fault between cab and exchange then its likely that you wouldn't be the only one affected so that BTO would be more proactive .Sounds more likely that your fault is between you and cab and that there are no spare pairs to switch you over to ? In which case, you would end up paying more for a product that you couldn't use.

A relation of mine in Devon has a similar problem with underground cables but he has effectively been told that BTO won't do anything UNLESS the entire hamlet loses service because it requires a dig on the only direct road in!!

Minivanman
Legend

I have indeed had multiple visits, and they unfortunately they look set to continue. The nearest cabinet to me is about a mile and half away but having said that, they were pulling fibre cable through last year (which was when my troubles started) at the end of our road and have also put underground trunking along the front of our house along with a huge coil of thick black cable hanging on one of their poles right outside. One of the many engineers said it was for the fibre connection so.......

Latest from BT is the the fault is fixed but both plusnet and myself know that it is most certainly not case and I have a funny feeling that BT must be chasing their tail around the country on this sort of thing and with far more customers than we know of having serious problems and being expected to pay the privilege. 

The Welsh government (I'm in Wales) have a scheme whereby they will pay for the satellite equipment in areas where BT will not be putting in fibre broadband any time soon, but I do not qualify as one of the exceptions is if BT have said it will be in before the end of 2018 which they have - but they also said it would be in by March 2015. The monthly fees would have been higher of course, but then so will my line speeds! 

Herman Melville