cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Really Happy Customer!

wblackknights

A Really Happy Customer!

Hi I live in North Yorkshire and it's famous for getting constant drop-outs etc! I have been with Plusnet for about 4 years now and have never had such problems and on Monday my router went caput. I wasn't sure what the problem was so Tuesday was getting intermittent service rang to report it. Was sent out a new router and it came this morning! All working fine! This is such quick service when I got the package I thought it was something else I'd ordered! I am very happy!
Cheesy
jim:blue Appreciate the thought but all Caps in the title is still against Forum Rules mod:end
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: A Really Happy Customer!

HI wblackknights,
thank you for the feedback and welcome to the forum.
Jojo Smiley
hazelwoodhouse

You were lucky then.
I moved to Plusnet 10 days ago from O2. I wish that I had not moved. With O2 I was getting nearly 14mbs download speed.
When we spoke to Plusnet they said that we would be getting the same linespeed as before. However, since being with Plusnet we have had a maximum of 1.94mbs.
We have spoken to the helpdesk a number of times but all they keep saying is that give it antother 48 to 72 hours and it will be up to the correct speed (which will not be the level we had but only 8mbs).
At the moment, my opinion is that Plusnet stinks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi hazelwoodhouse,
I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service in which you are receiving. Unfortunately your local exchange is not yet ADSL2+ enabled, meaning that the maximum speeds that we would be able to offer you at this time would be 'Up to 6Mb'. You do, however have Fibre Optic Broadband available which would ensure speeds of around 40Mb. If it is the broadband speed that is important to you then Fibre Optic Broadband may be something worth looking into.
I hope this helps Smiley
hazelwoodhouse

This does not explain why the profile is capped at 2mbs. I should be getting the maximum that this line permits.
Something that now worries me. Until your response we have been told that we should get up to 8mbs. You are saying up to 6mbs.
It is beginning to look as though I have a service based on false promises.
ponyman1
Dabbler

Your situation is similar in some respects to mine. For about 4 years I was getting speeds of about 1.2 Mbps and I thought that was all my line was capable of. A chance conversation with a neighbour revealed that he was getting over 6 Mbps so I started digging. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome will tell you what your line is probably capable of. Once you have that info you can start to batter plusnet. It took 2 or 3 months and a comedy of errors, lots of excuses and lotss of "wait 72 hours" but I now have 5 Mbps so I am reasonably happy.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: hazelwoodhouse
Until your response we have been told that we should get up to 8mbs. You are saying up to 6mbs.

It isn't false promises, it's a change in OFCOM advertising rules for broadband which came in to force last month.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372547/ofcom-reveals-what-broadband-ads-should-really-say
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

An ?irrelevant? Undecided thought: was the O2 service LLU or BT? Are apples and oranges being compared?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Either depending on availability
hazelwoodhouse

In response to Lucerne. I was with O2. I understand that O2 have their own ADSL2 equipment at the exchange which is why I was getting a download up to 14mbs. When we were talking to Plusnet we were told (mistakenly) that we would get the same with Plusnet as we were with O2. However we have been told that something in the order of 8mbs should be achieved. Although this is not what we were promised it will be acceptable. What is not acceptable is that we are getting 1.9mbs and promised that in 48 to 72 hours it will be correct.
Thanks to Jaggies, I have been to the site he suggested and they report that I should get between 6.5 and 8mbs.
I am really not happy with PlusNet.
Luzern
Hero

Always best to do one's own research, no matter what any sales person of whatever firm tells one. Did you actually say at the time you were using O2's LLU service?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This does not explain why the profile is capped at 2mbs. I should be getting the maximum that this line permits.
Something that now worries me. Until your response we have been told that we should get up to 8mbs. You are saying up to 6mbs.

Have you checked the Current Line speed (login required) - it may need updating.
As has already been pointed out this "upto 6Mbps/8Mbps" is purely because of a change in OFCOM rules about what can be advertised, not what you'll actually get.
grudkin
Grafter

Thanks to Jaggies, I have been to the site he suggested and they report that I should get between 6.5 and 8mbs.

Have you run a BT Speedtest?
Select the "ADSL & Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) Diagnostic",
When the test has completed what does the result say about the "IP Profile for your line"?
Does the figure differ from the figure given as the Current line speed on the page linked to by Anotherone?
Luzern
Hero

Perhaps the OP is busy or indisposed, but it would be nice to see an update. Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

His line speed has probably shot up now, so he hasn't bothered to come back, he doesn't seem like the sort of person who would  Undecided
IIRC on 20CN, the Profile is set by the exchange DLM at 2Mbps for the first 48 hours. If he'd run the BT speedtest he'd have seen that for himself.
If he was getting 14Mbps download on LLU he should get the full 8128 sync on 20CN with a 7150 profile.
What baffles me a bit though is the exchange has LLU and Fibre, but it seems BTw haven't bothered to upgrade to ADSL2+  Roll_eyes