cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£50 engineer charge + general incompentence

wordsfan1

£50 engineer charge + general incompentence

Plusnet already know all this but if any other customers can advise how I might finally get this resolved it would be much appreciated.
Reported fault 12 days ago. Engineer did something and made mattered slightly better temporarily. But not completely fixed fault at any stage. (Fuzzy and clicky phone line. Very slow internet, internet gone completely frequently).
Cut to now, I think approx 8 hours on phone so far. Spoken to several tech team call handlers 3 team leaders.
Have been spoken to and dealt with very rudely at times.
Current situation can't get another engineer our as there's potential of £50 charge being applied to my account which especially 9 days before Christmas I cannot afford!
During last conversation with a team leader was told through conversation :
Charge will not apply in certain circumstances
Charge wouldn't be applied till after Christmas
They would refund the charge if it were applied
They will waive the charge (but apparently waiving in their dictionary means a refund when told how that would work.
I started this phone call asking to speak to someone more senior than a team leader.
Was repeatedly told that there was no point 'they can't do anything different than what I'll do' really? So what's the point of them being more senior then!?
So...tomorrow will be day 13. Being told I'll get a call before midday. Not holding my breath.
Plusnet used to be great. My experience this year has been dreadful!
I just want working WiFi, I don't even care about the phone as I hardly use it. But apparently you can't just have WiFi.
I don't think it's too much to ask.
I've also been told contradictory information of what's on the fault report, including apparently there was no engineer booked for this morning (so my daughter and I must have imagined that phone call to arrange the time then!). That the fault is 'closed' etc
I can see briefly from the forum post titles I am FAR from the only one experiencing problems.
Anyone actually got anywhere getting problems resolved recently?
6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: £50 engineer charge + general incompentence

the charge for an openreach engineers is standard practice and only applies if the fault is inside your property at a point AFTER the master socket.
this applies to all openreach callouts.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've seen all sorts of definitions for where a charge will apply, and I think this is one area where the ISP's attitude helps or hinders in terms of how much the push back.  When I was with BT the charge applied for a "customer equipment" fault, which sounds all right except that BT's definition of "customer equipment fault" was that there was no fault found elsewhere, so they'd raise these charges on an intermittent fault if it wasn't apparent when they visited.
I've seen at least two definitions from Plusnet,  one was "should an engineer find the cause of the fault to be on your internal wiring or setup" and another was "If the engineer finds the fault to be within the boundaries of your property," the latter one being quite concerning because it suggests they'd try the charge if the fault was within BT's own cabling or equipment if it happens to be within your boundary.
chenks76
All Star

they both mean the same thing.
"with the boundaries" means anything beyond the master socket.
the only addendum to that would be if the master socket has been tampered with.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: chenks76
the only addendum to that would be if the master socket has been tampered with.

...not quite correct -I've seen a customer of BT charged because the underground cable to the external junction box was damaged -and they blamed "gardening damage" ie someone had allegedly damaged the wires with a spade/fork.Also heard of charges raised when the external cable was routed along a wall and had become damaged by outside causes.
aesmith
Pro

Maybe intended to, but they don't say the same thing.
Ditto.  It may be what was intended but it doesn't say that, and what they say doesn't mean what you claim - or not to an normal person reading the text.  "Within the boundaries" means "Within the boundaries", it is not qualified in any way to exclude BT's own wiring or equipment.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

MM BT charges weird , Mother in law had no master socket in her house , only a wall mounted phone  point.
Now where the BT cable entered her house the cable went under the floorboards to the socket , this was where the problem was .
BT fitted a master socket where the cable entered the house , BUT charged her £120 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .