cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 days and counting to change incorrect address with openreach

totoro420

4 days and counting to change incorrect address with openreach

I had an openreach engineer attempt to install my fibre+phone order last week but they couldn't get it working, I think in part because plusnet had given them the wrong address and so they were confused about which boxes the phone line was connected to. Then on Sunday out of the blue I got a call from an openreach engineer who came and got the phone line working but didn't seem to think I would even be able to get fibre and said he could only do the phone. Both engineers had the wrong address for me and had to phone my mobile to find out where to go.
I know I gave plusnet my address correctly because they have sent me letters in the post, but for whatever reason openreach ended up with the wrong address for me.
I spoke to support on Sunday after the phone line was up and running and as far as I know BT were sent an email on Monday asking them to change my address, and apparently this needs to be done before a new engineer visit can be booked. I have been told I will get an expedited appointment once it can actually be booked. I was told it would take around 48 hours(!) for BT to update my address.
Whilst all of the customer support people I have spoken with have been very informative and helpful, nothing seems to actually be happening - I called again and was told the person who originally emailed BT is away until December 10th and the reply from BT about changing the address may be in their personal inbox which can't be accessed until they return. Another email was sent yesterday and I was told to expect to hear within 24 hours, and nothing has happened.
It seems absolutely ridiculous that it could take BT 48 hours to change my address before a new order can be made, never mind the 4 days it has actually taken. I understand it may just be BT holding things up but I'm also a bit fed up of feeling like I have to call plusnet, including the typical 30 minute wait on hold, to actually push for anything to happen. I get the impression the people dealing with this are so busy on the phone they don't have time to do anything unless I am speaking with them.
Another email should have been sent when BT didn't reply without me having to call to ask what was happening. Is there nothing plusnet can do but email BT and then wait? I would think this kind of problem could be resolved pretty quickly by calling openreach and telling them to change the address?! I understand my question has been expedited but simply checking whether openreach have emailed every hour doesn't seem to be getting things anywhere.
This is all written up by plusnet customer service as question #77936112.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 4 days and counting to change incorrect address with openreach

I'm really sorry for the delay this issue has caused you.
When dealing with such issues we have to deal with our suppliers BT Wholesale who then deal with Openreach in turn. A turn-around of a few working days is typically what we'd expect to resolve such an issue.
Having checked your account it does look like it's been fixed now and that we've submitted a request for an expedite on your order.
I hope we're able to get a suitable date for as soon as possible for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: totoro420
I know I gave plusnet my address correctly because they have sent me letters in the post, but for whatever reason openreach ended up with the wrong address for me.

Hi,
I know this will sound like excuses and buck passing, however, the fact remains that this is yet another BTOR failure, which is nearly impossible to resolve.  BTOR have (I will not say maintain as the implies managed updates to) their own address database for phone lines and equipment.  I own a public house whose name was changed in the late 1990's.  Everytime a BTOR engineer visits (and I've had around 18 of those in the last 12 months) they can never find the place, because their records still have the old name for the pub.
PN have requested at least a dozen times for the BTOR records to be updated still no change by BTOR.  At my request PN put special instructions on the engineer notes as to the correct address, still BTOR engineers could not find us because they do not read the full job / fault notes before attending (if at all).  At one point in the history, BTOR said that the post office address file (PAF) needed to be updated with the Royal Mail first, even though the PAF has been correct for years.  I gave up trying to fix this one, as when engineers cannot find us, I just wait for them to phone me when they say "I've driven up and down the road twice (2miles long) and cannot find the Talbot Arms..." And I reply "That's because it as been called the Tunnel Top since 1998 and the idiots you work for don't know how to update your records".
It is interesting to note that various bits of BTOR 'road' infrastructure (poles cabinets etc) are still described as opposite or next to the Talbot Arms!
BTOR is a monopoly provider, there is no alternative provider for PN or any other ISP for the 'last mile' to the majority of properties in the UK.  Whilst it remains PN's responsibility to manage and resolve BTOR failings, it is BTOR who are at fault for around 80% of the complaints around here.  Such inadequate service gives rise to a massive demand on PN's call centres.  If you factor in (my understanding) that PN have to speak to Indian call centres for service issue resolution with BTw / BTOR, it becomes even more apparent just how inadequate BTOR's management is.  After that it is a lottery just how good is the BTOR guy or bad the contractor is on the day they finally turn up.
Across the piece, BTOR is not fit for purpose.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

totoro420

I agree that the problem does seem to be with OpenReach, when the engineer did turn up they still had the wrong address despite me having to wait a whole week for a new appointment so that the address could be changed.. Fortunately this didn't stop them getting everything connected this time.
I won't say Plusnet are without fault in the complete mess though, since they originally gave me an incorrect date for the first engineer visit that was entirely their fault (someone wrote the date wrongly in an email they sent me).