cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 routers and counting...

pauln13

3 routers and counting...

I've only been with Plusnet for a matter of weeks but am now on my 3rd router due to service failures. Does it seem odd to anyone else that 2 routers in a row should fail or am I just being fobbed off? The service works for a bit, albeit with me having to constantly reconnect and type in WEP key code, then the wireless router ceases to connect me. Keen to hear if others have had same experience.
5 REPLIES 5
roost78
Grafter

Re: 3 routers and counting...

HHMMM, If someone is hacking your wireless then you would be forced off and would have to re-enter your key which would allow them to see it.  If you use ethernet do you have connectivity issues?  Also baby monitors and wireless telephones are an issue.
I am not defending plusnet as I have not had a proper working service since November and 5 BT visits later I still only get twice the speed of dial up. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@pauln13,
Being honest I would seriously doubt that 2 or even 3 routers could be faulty. Drops in wireless connectivity are most commonly caused either by the distance being too great from the router, too many devices trying to connect at once or other signals causing interference in the local area, sometimes these problems can be fixed by changing the wireless channel used . Also as commented by Roost78 security can be an issue so it might be an idea to change your security settings over to WPA rather than relying on WEP.
Also I can confirm that your router is holding the broadband connection as our logs show that you have been online for over 17 days now so I am confident that this issue is purely with wireless connectivity rather than the service itself. It sounds like it may be easiest if I give you a call to talk you through some of the settings changes I have mentioned there so please bear with me and I will try phoning you within the next few minutes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pauln13

Thanks for speedy response and your call Adam. But if you doubt 2 or 3 routers being faulty why are your customer support colleagues sending me one? What added insult to injury during my conversation with them last night was (a) the comment that they would effectively pull some strings to get me a 3rd router - it's your problem not mine! (b) the comment that they were sendind a third "with no questions asked" - what's the insinuation here - that I'm secretly stockpiling defective routers? Whilst your records might indicate that the connection to the router is holding up - the signal is certainly not getting to either my laptop or pc. At best I'm had an intermittent service subject to regular drops.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

pauln13,
There are no insinuations being made here whatsoever, I believe we may be at fault for sending you these routers as I am confident we did not need to so infact we are holding our hands up here and being honest rather than trying to blame yourself. It seems that the problem is due to the hardware itself rather than the service however I would like to try and resolve this and believe a phone call may be the quickest way. The wireless signal reaching your PC is not dependant on the broadband line itself working, as mentioned I will try phoning you again now, I can only apologise if we have misdiagnosed this issue as it does sound like we have. Any training matters that arise from me dealing with your complaint will be raised internally straight away.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

pauln13,
As per our phone conversation it does sound like a good idea to check your security settings here, however the fact that there seems to be so many wireless connections available to your premises that this may be causing issues with connectivity via that medium. However as promised I will get someone to call you again tonight to go through this with you. Also we will be able to talk you through setting up the Speedtouch via ethernet to your Linksys wireless gateway to see how that set up performs in comparison.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team