Did you mean: 

2 months still no service

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: 2 months still no service

Hi,
I've just been doing some digging around see here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles and here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#Banded_profile
Note these refer to ADSL 2 banding, but you are on ADSL 1 over 21CN so may be these are applicable to any modulation standard on 21CN technology.
Note the Kitz description (very useful site) it states this is DLM controlled, which is BTOR exchange equipment, which if there were an issue there, they as equally as PN could deal with the issue.  Given that this is a new line, there should be no banding on it in the first place.  I wonder if with all of the setup issues you've had, BTOR have given you a 'dirty' DLM port.
Whatever resetting the line is not a difficult job!
Edit: just saw your intervening post - be careful "profile" is something different to "banding".  Profile is the speed at which data can be transferred - it is 88.2% of the synch rate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

abstruse21
Grafter

Thanks Townman
Interesting stuff. All this new info is taking some absorbing  Cool
But Im not on 21CN I believe - (or am i missing something?)
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMCHRIS
Theres a lot of Not Availables at this exchange Wink
As a sidenote I put in my details and got this return on searching for my exchange:
Telephone Exchange Search
The nearest telephone exchange to you is:-
Baltasound ()
11,216.0 Miles (18,050.4 Km) From CHRISTCHURCH. This is a straight line distance from your post code to the telephone exchange and does not take account of the local geography!
And completely off-topic I know.. a white tailed eagle tried to force me off the road this morning swooping at my car after which I came upon the first Horse Dentist I have ever seen.. I just wanted to put that out there. One of those days I guess.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@a21, don't get confused by 21CN etc. terminology which really is irrelevant in your situation.  Wink
Your exchange supports ADSL Max which is ADSL2+, but your connection is running on ADSL1 for some (possibly valid) reason.
And, more importantly, it's been "restricted" in some way which PN should be able to resolve fairly quickly now the line has been "declared good".  Cool
It does indeed look like a "banded profile".
The whole DLM logic was changed across the board a while back, so, with all due deference to Kitz, I'm not sure those pages referenced are 100% up to date.
abstruse21
Grafter

@HP. Cheers again.
Yes I think I have said a few times that really its the issue of the restriction that I am hoping is cleared up. Any other info at the moment is kind of secondary information to resolving that.
I actually missed the ADSL2+ point which I should have spotted. I know I am currently on ADSL1 for whatever .. as you say possibly valid reason.
Clearly its just a case of really waiting for PN to confirm what the case is and if there is a justification for it or if they can go ahead and make the changes.
HPsauce
Pro

A more normal restriction on along line, such as yours, would be to limit the equipment to "just" ADSL2 frequencies, blocking out ADSL2+.
Limiting down to ADSL1 is far from normal.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I think there may have been some confusion somewhere.
The exchange isn't 21CN enabled, it's 20CN enabled (Up to 6Mb).
The estimate for the line is 1Mb. The router is only reporting a Line Attenuation of 63.5 (some routers do more) however your line looks to be very long, as the engineer has stated. You aren't on a fixed rate product, it's on Max so you're getting the maximum possible.
I've made some tweaks on our back end so that your Speed Profile is lower as it was set incorrectly. Your celerity Loop Loss (Loop Loss calculated by BT Openreach is: 74.2) so it's a very long line.
abstruse21
Grafter

So i was right about it being 20CN then..
Thank you for confirming this Chris.
I will check it when I get home to see how it is currently performing.
I'm going to check a few things later, as I pointed out my neighbours get 4x the speed I do.. so location, exchange, poles everything. Not sure how this is possible.
I also need to check the phone call with your salesman against the time of the speedcheck that was done on my line on the 27th Jan 2014. Because the info he gave me just does not add up to the test result he would have got if what you are telling me is the case.
There is also a separate billing issue which I will whack on the ticket at some point over the weekend.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Chris
it's on Max so you're getting the maximum possible.

Whilst not wishing to doubt your information, have you looked at the router stats in detail (posted earlier in this thread)?
The noise margin is EXTREMELY high:
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   16.0 / 18.1
and the sync speeds are consistent with a banded profile.
Could it be that the exchange equipment is set inconsistent with your reporting/admin?  Wink
Or at the very least needs to be reset........  Cool
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@HPsauce I have raised this with Chris off line and there is a lot of confusion about the present speeds
@abstruse21  This evening can you post the stats again
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm convinced that the data I've got is correct as it's linked via the Telephone Number and the actual asset itself.
Downstream:
Loop Loss:  63.5
SNR Margin: 7
Errored Seconds:  0
HEC Errors:  0
Speed:  448 / 2368
Product: IPStream Max 448
abstruse21
Grafter

Yep just checked the recording of my call with the sales rep for PN. Got bored.
***Checked on 2014-01-27 20:34:15 (<-- this is WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE TO THE SALES GUY AT PN so I presume this is where he got his info from! Call started at 20:24 2014-01-27)
Phone exchange:
CHRISTCHURCH
Estimated line speed:
1.0Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) -
Current line speed:
21 Mb
But, the information he gave me was:- your line speed is 1.9Mbps - this may vary between 1 and 3Mbps (I wrote this as I listened to the phone conversation again)
THIS IS THE REALITY:
BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Broadband Speed Test Results
Download Speed (Mbps): 0.39
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.08
Ping Latency (ms): 116.63

So I would say that is not what I was sold. 40% of the MINIMUM of what I was told to expect.
This is also the conversation when he told me that all my services would be up and running in 3 weeks (not the 75 days it took), the day the engineer was originally due to do the install.
Your services will all be up and running before he leaves I was told and gave the impression it was a simultaneous install.. which it wasn't. (that's also on the recording and has already been listened to by PN who confirmed that he gave me completely the wrong information and would be spoken to about it before refunding my install fee to prevent me from going to BT!!).
I would also like to point out he confirmed I would be paying 6 months @ the special offer price advertised £2.99 plus line rental of £14.50.
Which leads me too:
Can I confirm at which point someone is going to tell me that I wont be getting that price because I am on a market 1 exchange and I am actually going to be charged £16.99 plus £14.50?
Yes I know I have been given 3 months free - but that was part of my compensation for the 75 days it took to get the service up and running plus all the failed call backs etc etc listed at the beginning of this thread.
I honestly thought things were almost resolved with PN and BTOR.. But if what Chris is telling me is the case then they are far from resolved as far as I am concerned.
EDIT: test results below. Much improved! Or as good as I am likely to ever get at this location and what I expected.
HPsauce
Pro

Speed:  448 / 2368
Perfectly acceptable for the line length and other information quoted.  Cool
BUT TOTALLY DIFFERENT to router stats quoted earlier, I think @a21 needs to get them again.  Wink
Could be "crossed wires" and not looking at the same line.  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: abstruse21
THIS IS THE REALITY:
BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Broadband Speed Test Results
Download Speed (Mbps): 0.39
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.08
Ping Latency (ms): 116.63
Post the router stats again please, as they are now.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Chris,
I think there may have been some confusion somewhere.

I agree - possibly the confusion is down to me trying to make sense of what the user has been told against the available documentation of how things are supposed to work!  Wink
The claim made by BTOR to this user is that their line is "speed banded".  In everything which I have read, "speed banding" is only described in relation to ADSL2.  The current line speeds match exactly the next to slowest "ADSL2" banding, though this user is on ADSL (1) modulation, which could (like myself) be being 'delivered' over 21CN technology.  Therefore (may be unclearly) I've sought to ask / suggest that possibly "speed banding" might actually apply to 21CN infrastructure (as opposed to ADSL2 modulation) and therefore also apply to ADSL(1) modulation carried over 21CN?
Your update however makes plain that 21CN is not involved here, so based on the read documentation and if the documentation is still correct, "speed banding" does not apply here, BTOR are somewhat mistaken in their claims.
Quote from: HPsauce
The whole DLM logic was changed across the board a while back, so, with all due deference to Kitz, I'm not sure those pages referenced are 100% up to date.

Does HP's observation above imply that the concept (as described in the context of ADSL2 / 21CN) of "speed banding" can now also apply to a 20CN borne ADSL(1) service?  That is, were the statements from BTOR relevant to this user's problem?  ...and is the PN / Kitz documentation (if not out of date) a little misleading?
If not then reference to 21CN controls is very relevant to this user's issues, as the BTOR "speed banding" claims do not (as you have implied) apply here and there is a different issue to be addressed.  Clear understanding (knowledge) of what does and does not apply to specific services (infrastructure) and modulations is essential to delivering accurate help on here.  If I have got it wrong, I apologise!
Whatever, if as suggested by BTOR that if the next door neighbour's line can do 2M we [BTOR] see no reason why (if your ISP got their finger out) your line too should do the same as well.
So the question back to BTOR is if you think that, you have control of all of the equipment and wires, show us how its done.  I wonder if there are bad joints or aluminium in this user's wires.  Remote long rural lines are a real pain in the bum... as we both know all too well from last year's shared experience.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

I think we need to see the detailed router stats from the users router, plus a BT speed test and THEN compare to the (apparently reasonable) figures Chris supplied, before speculating further.  Wink