cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet modem until service is switched on?

jsknight100
Dabbler

plusnet modem until service is switched on?

Why do plusnet state don't use plusnet modem until service is switched on?

31 REPLIES 31
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: plusnet modem until service is switched on?

@jsknight100 Welcome to the forums.Basically, because until your service is live, switching the Hub on can cause problems for the equipment that sets your connection up.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

Thanks for your prompt reply.

What problems does it cause?

jab1
Legend

It can - repeat can mean that your credentials (username/password &c) are not properly applied, and then you have problems connecting to any sites, your speed can be affected  - all sorts really, and some users then get upset. The problems are easy to fix, but you end up needing to ask for help that wouldn't be needed if you follow instructions.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jsknight100 

I believe the router has a small program on it which contacts PlusNet when you first set it up. PlusNet then uses your line number to identify your account and then update your user name details to that chosen by you.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc Correct  - the TR069 protocol - but if you plug in prior to the account being configured on Plusnets side, it can and often does, revert to 'setup@plusdsl.net' and then has to be manually configured.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

I am already using my PlusNet router as I will be away on my switchover day & wanted to remotely control my heating system. Should I switch to using my old router?

jab1
Legend

Who were you with previously ? What modem/router did you have with them? To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised a PN Hub works with other suppliers.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

I  am with Shell Broadband but I am not using their modem but a BT Smart Hub 2. I used to be with BT.

jab1
Legend

Ah, OK. That is better, but unfortunately when your Shell service ends, and your PN one starts, you will lose internet connection - the BT Hub cannot and will not pick up your PN credentials as it is not on the PN platform and they have no way of talking to it to carry out the required changes.

You can continue to use it, but will have to manually input your PN details on your return.

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

Thanks for your help.

I have stopped using the BT router & am using the PlusNet supplied Hub 2. Does that mean that everything should work OK after I switch over? 

jab1
Legend

It MAY do - but as I've said previously, you could confuse the automatic systems that PN use to communicate with the Hub, which could mean that you will come home to a non-functioning internet connection.

How long is the gap between your 'go-live' date with PN and your return home?

John
jsknight100
Dabbler

Only A couple of days. 

jsknight100
Dabbler

Only A couple of days. Would it be easy to log on myself?

jab1
Legend

Not while you were away, no - these Hubs do not have remote working capabilities, but are easy to reconfigure. When are you  due to go live? I ask because I will be away for a fortnight from the 5th, and although others may pick up on this topic there is no guarantee. I may 'pop in' occasionally, but not for long, and there could be days between my visits.

John