cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest list of plusnet compatible 3rd party routers

prettygrim49
Grafter

latest list of plusnet compatible 3rd party routers

hi all. i wonder if anyone is able to advise me on the following things, please?

1) what is suggested as a good 3rd party router to replace the plusnet Hub One?

2) what would be a good replacement for the Hub One to have VPN installed, rather than using a downloaded service, to cover all computers, tvs, mobile phones etc? if someone can suggest something, does it have a modem built in or do i need a separate one?

many tia,

prettygrim49

14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: latest list of plusnet compatible 3rd party routers

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How much do you want to spend?

Which VPN provider do you want to use?

This TP Link is good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW26XZ3?tag=track-ect-uk-347824-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=... 

And can be used with a TP Link VPN

Some say this is the best on the market at the moment https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VWJ8JJN?tag=track-ect-uk-347824-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=... 

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Interesting link about TP-Link routers and VPN HERE.

Some current router prices are eye-watering but I have always found TP-Link products to be both excellent quality and value.

A bit off topic but I have always wondered if ISPs could provide alternatives to their own brand on a paid for but discounted basis. In practice though this would create support issues and even more confusion!

prettygrim49
Grafter

hi Mustrum. tnx for the info and links.

i didn't wanna spend more than £100 so the TPLink option at £74.99 looks pretty good to me.

i intended using Surfshark vpn. i have used cyberghost but, in my opinion, it isn't the service it was since selling out. i have issues on both my computers, one is windows 7 ultimate with all updates installed, including SP1. cyber insists that i install SP2, sent a link which actually says 'Microsoft never released SP2 but did release 'convenience rollup package'. wont accept that their info is incorrect. the other machine is windows 10 with all updates installed. different problems on each machine which they cant/wont fix.

prettygrim49
Grafter

tnx greygit for the shortened links. again, the TPLInk router looks good, especially for the price

prettygrim49
Grafter

tnx TeeGee for the link also. i'll have a read. i appreciate that i can use vpn software but am thinking it may be a better idea to have the vpn in the router itself. anyone have thoughts on this? my concern atm is what happens if the line fails for whatever reason? what happens to get the connection working again, ie, does the router have to have the VPN re-installed? you can obviously tell this is something new to me so trying to look ahead and cover my backside when things go pearshaped. is waiting until we have full fibre in the town a better option atm, changing the plusnet router to the TPLink, for example then use software vpn as i was previously?

hope you guys dont mind the additional questions

again, many TIA

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@prettygrim49 

choose carefully you need to be able to configure a VPN client.

VPN server is NOT what you are looking for that is for inbound connections only.

prettygrim49
Grafter

you're right there, Dan_the_Van. i dont want a vpn server, just a way of protecting myself and the device i am using to download on/through, to be able to download anonymously and to be able to stream from wherever.

i appreciate all the comments, guys. if there are any others, please dont hesitate to include them.

now i need to find the install info when using a non-plusnet router.

TIA

prettygrim49
Grafter

what are opinions of surfshark as a vpn service? good or avoid? also, which instructions do i need to follow if i use the TPLimk router you think will be a good option for me to get, Mustrum?

tnx again

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@prettygrim49  happened on this thread again by chance as you did not tag me - type @ and you will see a list of contributers to the thread.

I think you are going about this the wrong way. Either choose a VPN service and see what routers the support, or a Router and see what VPN's they work with.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@prettygrim49 

Depending on how strong you want your VPN to be is your choice but you might like to consider Steganos Online Shield.

For a freebie current version of Norton 360 is included as a bonus. 

No complaints about either but would still like to know how to book a Ryanair flight and pay in Euro......!!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@prettygrim49 

The reason for caution from what I can see is the TP-Link Archer AC2100 VR600 V3 provides VPN Server only.

This might help https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272492 

Dan

prettygrim49
Grafter

@Mustrum 

tnx for this bit of info, Mustrum. i didn't realise this.

anyway, you're right in what you say. i am a bit confused over this, mistakenly thinking it would be more straight forward. however, as i dont want a new router for vpn server purposes, just for client (i think), maybe the best thing to do is try the service i chose to use, as i have done in the past before getting peed off with the one i mentioned previously and seeing how it performs simply from the pc install. if that works ok, maybe then go for a router. if there are any further opinions or advice, please comment and i'll check the thread again

appreciate your help guys.

many tnx