cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disabling 2.5GHz Wifi so Iphone works

CAM3048

disabling 2.5GHz Wifi so Iphone works

Hi,

I'm pretty new so apols if this has been covered but I moved over to PN from Sky Fibre and since moving over none of the Apple devices stay connected to the hub, constant dropping and a real pain in the backside especially as when emails are downloading from work it crashes the email app and I have to delete the email account and restart the phone and add the account again and pray it doesn't drop connection again.......

Anyway, I did a little digging and found that you can set the hub not to sync 2.5 and 5GHz and this fixes the issue. 

Tried it and called support who also advised this and to set the 2.5 GHz to channel 6 which I have and I still have the issue. 

Ive decided to disable 2.5GHz WIFI completely to see if that works, anyone know of any repercussions if I do this? Are both required or is 2.5GHz for legacy devices???

Cheers 

3 REPLIES 3
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: disabling 2.5GHz Wifi so Iphone works

It would depend on whether all your devices support 5Ghz.

For me my printer only supports 2.4Ghz so I have to have 2.4Ghz active for that but I use the faster 5Ghz for my other devices.

If you needed to you could keep both frequencies open by splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals out and giving them different names and passwords. This way you could only enter the credentials for the signal your want your phone to use onto your phone and so it wouldn't be able to connect to the other one.

CAM3048

Thanks for the response, I thought that would be the case and all our connecting devices support 5GHz however I think I'm going to disable 5GHz and just enable 2 because the range for 5 is just not long enough. 

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes. 2.4 Ghz travels a little further than 5 Ghz. It's a trade off between speed & distance.